Whats different about changing the rear pads on a 96 regal?

HokemBokem

I know how to change the front pads and just did so a couple weeks ago and my back pads are about to hit metal so they are due for a change. I dont have my Chilton on me and was wondering what was the extra step to change the rears?

Thanks

You need to screw in the caliper piston instead of simply pushing it on on the rear calipers. This can be accomplished with needle nosed pliers if you don't want to buy the specialty tool for this purpose.

You need to screw in the caliper piston instead of simply pushing it on on the rear calipers. This can be accomplished with needle nosed pliers if you don't want to buy the specialty tool for this purpose.

Now the main thing

Is it a bitch?

comon i know it is

RossGT version 2.0 :lol:

:joke:

:think: dont get it

ANyway I would kinda like to know if there was any special tools/ anything else I need. I just dont want to go outside and jack my car up take the wheels off to find out theres something I need and I have to take my car to go get it.

Im so sorry for asking.

Allright well it looks like im going to get this done this weekend when I get paid. Does it matter if I get the cheapest shit for the rear brakes? I have pretty good stuff up front :shrug:

its your rear brakes we're talking about so no, you don't need super expensive brute stops in teh back, edspecially on your stock regal.

as for the tool, go to napa, or your local parts store.

ask for the "rear caliper tool for vehicals equipped with a caliper mounted parking brake"

it shouldn't be more then 10-20$ and it clips on to the end of an 1/2" ratchet.

as for brake pads, i would buy BONDED brake pads, rivets dont last as long, and I've never had luck with them.

if you have any more questions you can im me if you want.

its your rear brakes we're talking about so no, you don't need super expensive brute stops in teh back, edspecially on your stock regal.

ask for the "rear caliper tool for vehicals equipped with a caliper mounted parking brake"

as for brake pads, i would buy BONDED brake pads, rivets dont last as long, and I've never had luck with them.

That should be good. Is it worth it to buy the tool or do needle nose pliars work just fine?

That should be good. Is it worth it to buy the tool or do needle nose pliars work just fine?

I've always used plyers myself.

if your a rookie, you will fuck up the piston on the caliper (by either rounding all the corners, or damaging this part all togeather)

all w-body owners should won that block in my opinion, makes shit alot easier to me.

• 2 weeks later...
It's a 96, I believe you don't need the special tool. I believe that they compress just like the fronts.

No they didnt btw

But yea the job went by semi-smoothly. Me and my dad couldent use his needle nose pliars to compress the piston so we had to use pliars that barely fit and kept slipping off every 1/4 turn. But other than that it was pretty easy. Also does anyone have a link to that tool ur supposed to use that just goes on a rachet?