1.6 rocker swap with PICS?

GutlessSupreme

Since I'm pulling everything off the top end of the TGP motor besides the heads, I figured it sounds like a good time to do the 1.6 rocker swap everyone keeps talking about.

Now, I'm valvetrain illiterate. Period. I know what rockers are and how they work, but I have no idea what "1.6" means, what a guide plate is, or what else I would need to do the swap. I also don't know differences/advantages of stamped vs. roller, full roller fulcrum or whatnot etc.

I was just wondering if anyone did anything in depth about the swap for the noobs such as myself :oops: I've been reading Comp Cams products are usually recommended, they will set me back around ~$120? It's supposed to be a ~3 hp gain? Are there any other real advantages?

Recommendations, part numbers, project pics, etc would be awesome. I've been doing searches on 660, here, and netavalanche for an hour or so but most of the posts are vague or really technical.. of which I can't understand.

I did it on my TGP, noticable improvment on the top end. Only hints I have are:

1. make sure you clean out the rocker pedastool holes with a q-tip to ensure you dont get hydro lock.

2. check, check, and recheck the valve lash. I didnt drive my car for 6 months and came back to find that cylinder #2 intake was 1/4 turn off causing a ticking noise.

3. check your pushrods for straightness while they are out.

Will be leaving for Afganastan tomorrow so if you ask questions and I dont respond for a few weeks - dont take it personally.

Good luck

Thomas