3100 Gasket

f_399

I hear how bad the 3100 is with gaskets(intake?)

I have 124,000 miles on my car and I must say I push the car sometimes when I am on the highway.

What causes these gasket failures? Is it from the beating you do on the car or is it a maintenance thing? (oil change, tuneup...)

I use good oil and filter and always change my oil when it is due. Will this make the gaskets last longer?

I am losing about a quart of oil every oil change... this normal?

The gaskets have a poor design, so there's really nothing you can do to prevent them from blowing out. Some people will fault the DexCool (orange coolant) but I know they blow out on the older 3100's that ran green coolant from the factory (my brother had a 94 Beretta that blew the gaskets at 125k.)

My former Grand Prix was burning oil for 3 of the 4 months I owned it, and I kept a close eye on the coolant levels. I was losing a quart of oil every-other gas fill-up. When you start losing coolant, it's time to change the gaskets ASAP!

In your case, to lose a quart every oil change is completely normal for any motor, especially one with over 100,000 miles. You might want to keep watch over the oil a little closer, cause you could be nearing the time where the gaskets slowly start going to hell...