3400 intake swap (UPDATE: COMPLETE w/ pix!!!!)

GP1138

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GP1138

• rudefyet

• OldsmoBeast

• terryk2003

clean out all the parts your using on your engine very carefully... And be careful when you're screwing in that heater pipe... I tapped the hole for mine, and cleaned it out, and made sure it was spic and span, but I didn't really clean the threads on the pipe that was going in...and sure enough I managed to overtighten the pipe, cracking the thermostat housing wide open, ruining my project entirely. Be careful...

EDIT: I also have a set of Fel-Pro upper and lower gaskets. I think the lower one's slightly used and the upper one was on for a couple nights but the engine was never started with it on... they're both in great shape and you can have them for WAY less than what I paid IF you REALLY need them.

YK

I have a 3100 vin "M" motor. I went and got the 3400 Upper and Lower intake manifolds from a Pontiac Montana U-van. Patgizz informs me that they might not fit the heads I have.. is this true?? That means I gotta go get heads, too? :x I hope not.

I have a 3100 vin "M" motor. I went and got the 3400 Upper and Lower intake manifolds from a Pontiac Montana U-van. Patgizz informs me that they might not fit the heads I have.. is this true?? That means I gotta go get heads, too? :x I hope not.

Yeah, pat's right... I've got the vin M motor too but since mine's a '97, I've got 3400 heads and Roller rockers anyway. In order to make it all work properly, I'm pretty sure you'll need a set of 3400 heads, otherwise the LIM won't fit up.

YK

Dammit, the writeup I have says nothing about needing the heads. It says I need an EGR mounting plate, but absolutely nothing about needing heads. It says I might have to grind the LIM down where the rockers go, though.

:evil: :evil: :evil: I'm gonna be pissed if this doesn't work out right..

At least you'll have a chance to fix your intake leak before it starts, or gets worse. :lol: Weren't you asking about that a few weeks ago? I don't think I read that post after a few days.

Dammit, the writeup I have says nothing about needing the heads. It says I need an EGR mounting plate, but absolutely nothing about needing heads. It says I might have to grind the LIM down where the rockers go, though.

Good point.... All I know is that my car already had the 3400 heads....you might have to do some grinding, I dunno...

Good point.... All I know is that my car already had the 3400 heads....you might have to do some grinding, I dunno...

I have a Dremel...

I heard that the stamped rockers on the 94-95's still hit against the 3400's LIM even after you grind away some of the material on the bottom of the runners. Safe bet would be to pick up a set of roller-rocker heads (mid 96-present) so you don't run the risk of damaging the motor...

for all the BS its going 2 take 2 get the 3400 top end on, it would be simpler/faster to drop in an entire 3400 :mrgreen:

Not looking for a simple/fast swap here. I need "10 hours" worth of work for my Engine Performance class, and this is perfect. I just gotta take lots of pictures.

I found a couple of 3400 heads for about $30 each that I'm gonna pick up on Thurs. when I get my check, so that should finish off the parts I need.

I've also not got the cash to do much more than this, I don't have an engine, I don't have a cherry picker.. I have a garage that I can use for this project, but not long enough for an engine swap.

I've already got the parts and am getting the gaskets.

Good luck man! Should be fun and a great learning experience. Keep us updated! So you're going with 3400 heads? Good call. Are you going with a 3400 TB? They are what, 56mm, instead of stock 52mm?

Good luck man! Should be fun and a great learning experience. Keep us updated! So you're going with 3400 heads? Good call. Are you going with a 3400 TB? They are what, 56mm, instead of stock 52mm?

I got the entire top end (upper and lower Intake manifold, plus fuel rail, injectors, throttle body, and related parts, but no ICM, map sensor, etc) for about $150. Now I'm gonna have to buy Gaskets, heads, and maybe an EGR adapter, but I think I'm just gonna go to a yard and get a newer EGR so I don't have to wait for the adapter.

EDIT: After consulting GM Service Information, I can't use the new EGR, it's a completely different system.. so I gotta get the adapter. :x Dammit. Hope they have expedited shipping...

One more question, so bump.

Should I reuse the gaskets I can, or just get new ones?

I was figuring on getting new gaskets, but I'm not sure if I'm gonna go AC-Delco for them or not. Would dealers stock those, y'think?

Update: I printed out an assload of info from Alldata tonight at auto class.. talked to Canada (thanks a lot!!) and got advice on gaskets and stuff, as well as Brian P, both gave me pics and info.. going to be doing this Saturday or Sunday, I think, so this should be interesting... wish me luck!

Update: I printed out an assload of info from Alldata tonight at auto class.. talked to Canada (thanks a lot!!) and got advice on gaskets and stuff, as well as Brian P, both gave me pics and info.. going to be doing this Saturday or Sunday, I think, so this should be interesting... wish me luck!

If you need any help, i'm free this weekend :D

If you need any help, i'm free this weekend :D

!!!11one

where you going to get more horsepower from just the intakes? The heads are going to give you some more ponys!

The swap actually yields about 10hp from what I've read. I'm not sure how, perhaps less restrictive? The TB is 56mm over the original 3100 52mm..

The intake runners are a lot larger on the 3400's (and 2000-up 3100's) so that's where you pick up the extra ponies. The 2000-up 3100 is rated at 170hp stock due to the changeover to the same upper and lower intakes that the 3400's use...