"range" on DIC

THe_DeTAiL3R

Was wondering how accurate the "range" on the DICs are, and how they work exactly (how much is actually left in the tank when it gets really low). Reason is cause when it gets pretty low like 1/4 tank it still says I got about 100miles left, although I don't know if I should trust it... :?

when it gets pretty low like 1/4 tank it still says I got about 100miles left, although I don't know if I should trust it... :?

Only one way to find out!

Every W-body I've driven has always given me plenty of "get to the station quick you idiot" leftover gas when it starts to sputter. I don't know what it is, but I basically always have enough to get to the next station, and then I know what the limit is.

I guess the only way to satisfy me will be to get a 2L bottle of gas and drive till it starts sputtering. I've never driven past "E". I guess if I kill my fuel pump no big deal, since I still got the old one I bought from Davis, and I need my gas tank replaced anyways. Filling it up only 3/4 so that it doesn't leak sucks, but I've become cheap recently.:roll: There is a new job prospect, but I woun't get into that until I call them tomorrow and go for job interview.

When I changed my gas tank, I drained it down the most I could then hooked up the fuel pressure gauge because it has a drain valve on it. I had the car idleing and the drain open, it was so low there was air bubbles coming out, but it still ran! After so long I gave up, when I dropped the tank there was still a bunch of gas in there!

I always go by the range. Rarely do I actually look at the fuel guage. Obviously, it estimates low.. kind of an idiot-proofing that GM has to do. Only once did I run it 58 miles with LOWFUEL flashing like it was the end of the world.

I got scared last time I had it low.. it was in the last quarter range in on gas guage the DIC said I had about 100miles left. I gotta do what Davis said and just drive till it dies and take some gas with me. :lol:

I got scared last time I had it low.. it was in the last quarter range in on gas guage the DIC said I had about 100miles left. I gotta do what Davis said and just drive till it dies and take some gas with me. :lol:

I always reset the average fuel econ. before I take it on a trip. If you take it out on the highway for a couple hours at a steady speed then drive into town, the city mileage is going to be far worse than your highway fuel economy, so you're going to get less out of the tank. I dunno if that makes any sense.. it does in my head :?

I always reset the average fuel econ. before I take it on a trip. If you take it out on the highway for a couple hours at a steady speed then drive into town, the city mileage is going to be far worse than your highway fuel economy, so you're going to get less out of the tank. I dunno if that makes any sense.. it does in my head :?

I think i know what you are talking about. You just mean the range will be more accurate right?

Right. Like for instance, during the week, all I do is city driving, so obviously the range sucks because of the lower fuel economy that I get in town. Now on the weekends, I go back home. But I don't get 15mpg on the highway.. I get like 32mpg, so if I reset the economy to show the 32 instead of 15, the range is now factoring in the fact that I'm getting 32 mpg, so I can go further on that tank of gas.

heh I dunno if that made any more sense than the first one.