'91 CS Power Steering Problems *Help Wanted!*

CutlassSL91

About a month or so I took my 1991 Cutlass Supreme in for an alignment because it would have a tenency to wander on the road, although it was not bad. I noticed uneven tire wear too.

After the alignment, the car was better and didn't seem to wander as much. It still continued to pull to one side. I went and got some new tires for it and after that it drove like a new car.

Well, lately, the steering is acting up again. the wheel wants to pull to the left sometimes really bad. Also, Under moderate accelatation while steering left, it makes a whining/grinding kind of sound, but does not do it when turning right under acceleration. Sometimes it pulls really bad. On highway speeds, I constantly have to make corrections to correct the pulling. The wheel is looser turning left than right, and the on center feel is way off. Can someone offer any explanations? !!!!!

When I took it to the auto shop they said the tierods looked good, so I don't think that would be it. Sometimes it shimmy side to side or up and down at low speeds (15-28 mph). It is also very VERY slow to come back to center when comming out of a curve (you can't let the wheel slide.) Also, the power steering makes that rushing sound when it is turned past a point. I am hoping this will cost under $100 to fix any problems. Still, I am wondering what the problem is exactly?

the more i think about it, I think that it needs a new power steering pump. I would like to replace the whole power steering system if i do that because i's like a quicker ration system. The fluid levels are fine. The whishing noise occurs whenever the wheels is turned.

Wheel bearing would be noisy, but it won't make the car pull hard. Unless it's ready to fall off :lol:

I would be looking at the Rack and Pinion assembly. GM has had problems with those in the past. The one on my cousins 97 GP broke, the case literally broke in half, and it was replaced under a service campaign last fall. Is there any metal or debris in the P/S fluid?

I don't think they ever recalled 1st gen w-bodys for this, but the right turn tightness was a known problem on early front drive Le Sabres, Park Avenues, 88s, 98s, etc.