Cheap Bass

f_399

I have changed all the speakers and the head unit in the car. I think I lost bass doing so, the sound is more crisp and clear though.

What I want is to get 1 sub and 1 amp just to get a lil bass pumping. Can I get decent amp and subs on ebay or any retail store?

Budget is about 200... I dont really want the best one out there, just give me some decent bump.

If you lost bass you have a + and - backwards on one of the speakers

not true, usually stock speakers sound better than aftermarkets with no external amp, thats what happened with my lumi and the womans GTP. but it didn't matter to us, we are using subs and the interiors for highs and mids.

For a decent sub get a decent quality 10 in a box and go with a cheap amp that says it puts out more RMS than u need. Most cheap amps are overrated, go to the local swap meet or a place like we have Gibraulter trade center and get a amp for 50-60 bucks.

Remember you need to buy wiring, that should set you back 30-50 bucks for one 10 inch sub and a few hundred watt amp.

Beware of the chain stores that have the amp and sub package, they usually sound like ass. I have a 10inch audiobahn and a alpine v12 amp that i got in a ported audiobahn box for $300, yeah i got a discount on it, but it pounds my car so hard (winter car is a hatchback).

Go talk to a car audio person in your area and see what they try to sell you and report back to the boards and we might be able to tell you if its a good idea or they are just trying to sell product. Hope this help somewhat later Jay

EDIT remember that cheap bass mostly means sloppy bass, u might also want to consider saving a few more bucks and spend it wisely

so exactly what minimum specs am i looking for in an amp or sub?

SUB:

-?

-?

Amp:

-?

-?

I have a 45x4 Panasonic head unit if that helps

I really might just end up going to walmart and get a Pioneer system. (1)12 or 10 inch sub with (1) amp... dunno what wattage or channel to look for

If you lost bass you have a + and - backwards on one of the speakers

not true, usually stock speakers sound better than aftermarkets with no external amp, thats what happened with my lumi and the womans GTP. but it didn't matter to us, we are using subs and the interiors for highs and mids.

The main reason for this is that aftermarket speakers can handle more power. Even though you may replace the HU too, the ratio of power coming out of the factory hu to the factory speakers power handling is far more superior than the ratio of the aftermarket hu power to the aftermarket speakers. Meaning, if you add an amp to your aftermarket speakers, they WILL sound good.

so if i decide to go with 1 sub, the amp i will be purchasing will be powering 4 speakers plus a sub?

if so what minimum spec of the amp should i be looking for?

anyone in the dallas fort worth are want to help me with the install? ill pay!!!! hehehe

NO, just get an amp for your interior speakers. Scrap the sub idea if you really don't want a subwoofer. You will save money going this way.

Adding more power to your interior speakers that can handle more power will make them: Sound more powerful, sound cleaner, sound more crisp, and most importantly, louder.

I know it's been mentioned, but check ALL of your speaker connections and make sure the positive terminals go th the positive terminals and the negatives to the negatives.

Since you installed all new components, it is possible that you got one of them reversed, which can cause weak bass, or what is called 'out of phase' sound. (I've done that many times)

That's a free and easy thing to check before buying the subs. The whole system will sound better if everything is in phase.

can i just do away with the sub and just get an amp to power my 4 existing speakers?

- 2 sony 3 way 51/4

- 2 pioneer 2 way 6x9

on the other hand can i get a single amp to power 1 sub and not the 4 other speakers?

given this i have a couple of question:

- are they even possible?

- which is an easier install

- what will sound better- i just want more bass but not sacrifice sound quality too much

- for each setup, what will i need (what kind of amp? 2way? 4 way?? i have no idea)

it all depends on what you want. I liek deep low bass for some songs and other i want no bass. Powering your interiors would be cheaper, but not easier, and visea versa. For the sub u'd need a monoblock amp.

so, with all this chit chat...i got a question...if i want to hook up an amp to power the 4 speakers in the car...how would i set the crossover!?...i know you can set em to high/low...well, what if i want good highs and added bass?... :?

shi it!!! just as i am planning to add subs my head unit fails me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DARN!!!!!!!!!

it frozen, i see the screen working and all but the buttons dont work. i removed the faceplate and blew of some dust from the contacts and cleaned some dirt of with my fingers, put it back on and still not working!

damn radio!

sorry had to vent. if its broken there goes my plan for subs and amp!!!!!

Let the car warm up so that your receiver is getting warmer air to it. Also, let the faceplate warm up as well. If it has and LED display, it could just be affected by the cold weather causing it to glitch. That is, of course, its been like this for several days then....

Let the car warm up so that your receiver is getting warmer air to it. Also, let the faceplate warm up as well. If it has and LED display, it could just be affected by the cold weather causing it to glitch.

:werd: the screen on my new alpine looks messed up and the text moves real slow when its cold...sometimes the bottons dont work either...once it warms up, it works great...

I have a 92 four door CS. I put Pioneer 6x9's in the back and hooked an amp up to those two speakers. It sounds really decent, I get good bass from 'em.

I had two JL Audio 12W3's with a 775 watt MTX 500d digital amp in my long gone 97 blazer, and that shit hit so hard the roof would flex, other people's cars would vibrate, cigarette racks in gas stations would rattle. Not meaning to brag here, just show that you can get decent sounding bass without subs. I'm satisfied with my Pioneer 6x9's, and you can get decent sound outta yours. If you don't want car shaking bass, but want bass that sounds decent, I'd stick with your pioneers and hook an amp up to 'em. If I remember right, my pioneer's are rated at 280 watts, my amp is a 180 watt generic amp.

Hope my .02 helps.