Will an OPTIMA Battery Fit in a gen I w-body?

terryk2003

Ok...like the topic says, i'm wondering if a optima will fit in a first gen w?...the battery in my cutlass is on its way out, and i'm wanting to upgrade it with a yellow top optima but i'm not sure that it will fit...the battery i'm lookin @ has top & side posts and i'm not sure the top posts will work since the windshield washer resevoir is on top of the battery!...if anyone has any input on this please let me know...thanx...

batteries with top posts don't fit with the washer tank that covers the batt. Could always get the smaller thank that mounts next to the batt. though.

batteries with top posts don't fit with the washer tank that covers the batt. Could always get the smaller thank that mounts next to the batt. though.

or cut the top posts off!?... :lol:

:confused: I have an Optima Red Top battery in my Grand Prix right now. The washer tank fits just fine. :confused:

WOO HOO...i THOUGHT i read somewhere that you had one...so, yours has top & side posts!?...and it fits in there with no problem then?!?...SWEEET!!!...thanx for the info!

:confused: I have an Optima Red Top battery in my Grand Prix right now. The washer tank fits just fine. :confused:

I spose they do then :lol: I don't have an Optima but the TGP has a battery with top posts and it didn't fit under the Cutlass's washer thank. I assumed all the batteries would be pretty much the same size.

I wouldn't imagine you'd have a problem with it. Even with the top posts, I can't imagine that it would create that much of a problem. From what I remember, my battery has at least an inch or so from the top of it till it would touch the bottom of the washer fluid bottle. At least on the positive side.

i have one in my lumina and i just bought it late summer, i went to start my car and not even a click, DAMMIT!

Oh and yeah it fits, it's not pretty buy it fits. The washer tank didn't sit flush so when i tightened the supports up it just pushed the tank down and looks fine under there. Later Jay

Aren't the optima side posts more inset than the regular batterys as well? Might cause a problem with the people that want to keep the black plastic thingy on the resevoir. I swear that's the worst damn idea for a washer bottle ever.

optima_battery.jpg

There is nothing over my battery, although it does have side posts. The washer reservoir is to the side of the battery.

Those Optima batteries look cool, but is there any real advantage to them over a conventional looking battery? I have an AC Delco Professional that has been drained dead 3 times (horn switch stuck on all night) and has sat for over 3 weeks during the dead of winter. That sucker STILL turns the car over strong every morning.

Yes there is a huge difference. Especially in a cold climate, batteries can have tough times starting a enigne, especially when it has sat overnight outdoors, and has high compression. Mine used to lug a little, and the battery int he trunk hurts alot as well. With the new Optima, it jus tcranks it fast and right away, I was and am truly impressed. Plus they charge faster and easier, which is also better since it is int he back of the car.

If you don't need one there is no need, but I did.

There is nothing over my battery, although it does have side posts. The washer reservoir is to the side of the battery.

Those Optima batteries look cool, but is there any real advantage to them over a conventional looking battery? I have an AC Delco Professional that has been drained dead 3 times (horn switch stuck on all night) and has sat for over 3 weeks during the dead of winter. That sucker STILL turns the car over strong every morning.

AC Delco batteries are solid as a rock. I'm not sure why, but I know that one came in a Cutlass Ciera that I purchased and according to the code on it it's still going strong after 5 and a half years. The car sits alot, and the battery will run down, so I just charge it up again and she holds change fine. That is impressive for a battery over five years old.

I was so impressed, that I purchased one for my 1986 Trans Am when the time came to replace it. I would like to know who makes them, but the fellow at the parts counter at the local Chevy dealer claims that he does not know. :o

Yeah they're awesome. I was so impressed with mine because even after sitting for 4 weeks in very cold weather, it didn't need a charge. It turned the car over and fired right up. I don't know how old the battery is, but it's been drained stone dead several times over the 3+ years I've owned it, and its been extremely reliable the whole time.

anyone have pics of one in there....I have thought about buying one numerous times, but I have never seen one installed so I never got one...

Damn, I'll have to get a pic when my girl and sister get back from a job interview.

The Optima Red Top I have is excellent. I've never had a problem with it, my Cavalier had one in it, so I almost literally got it for free. :lol: Awesome battery.

Yes there is a huge difference. Especially in a cold climate, batteries can have tough times starting a enigne, especially when it has sat overnight outdoors, and has high compression. Mine used to lug a little, and the battery int he trunk hurts alot as well. With the new Optima, it jus tcranks it fast and right away, I was and am truly impressed. Plus they charge faster and easier, which is also better since it is int he back of the car.

God, if it gets to about 15* my car barely wants to crank. I knew that the cold weather affected it, but never realized that my higher compression was affecting it as well.

Guess it's about time to upgrade.

God, if it gets to about 15* my car barely wants to crank. I knew that the cold weather affected it, but never realized that my higher compression was affecting it as well.

Guess it's about time to upgrade.

Mine did exactly that when it was cold out. I got the optima, and it'll start rgiht up no matter how cold it is.