13* time mod performance actual or just assdynos

sonyman87

this goes for Motor Type 3.4twincam/DOHC aka Vin X

I wanna know exactly what to expect from a 13* alteration to the stock timing. 6* advance intake 7* retard exaust? are those right? well. anyone know of any dyno sheets on this or track tests?

http://fiero.cc/fiero-tdc/members/mws/intake/

It's long but it's a great read. dyno tests and everything. it's from a fiero but its still good info.

The only problem there is that the cam timing mods were bundled in with a custom fabbed, short runner intake manifold. Sooooo, not the greatest comparison (but it can help with ideas).

I too would like to see a dyno comparison of different cam advances/retards.

That car also had equal length headers.

I think it will do a lot, but if I were you I would be doing the 96+ intake swap right now. Cheap, relatively easy, and it helps a lot.

http://fiero.cc/fiero-tdc/members/mws/intake/

It's long but it's a great read. dyno tests and everything. it's from a fiero but its still good info.

The only problem there is that the cam timing mods were bundled in with a custom fabbed, short runner intake manifold. Sooooo, not the greatest comparison (but it can help with ideas).

I too would like to see a dyno comparison of different cam advances/retards.

thats almost imposible to get any accurate gains out of that. But it did say ajusting the timing wouldnt do shit for you if you dont have equil lenght headers.. but it said retarding the exaust can make your car quieter but no reported gains either other then uping the crap coming out of the motor = poor emissions.

I guess the only reason to adjust your timing is if you want to rev to 7600rpms and you have to have a spring adjustment with headers and intake work.

Hey........it *may* be good for a few hp, but going off of cam timing changes on other cars I've come to 2 conclusions:

1) You are going to need a dyno to tune the car correctly.

2) Even then, it isn't going to be worth more than a few hp.......

Plus......who's to say that a 13 degree retard will work for all cars? I seem to remember Sport Compact car got some really goofy gains with cam gears on their Ford Focus project car.......apparently, the Focii vary a lot from car to car right out of the factory.