Where is the modulator valve on the 4T40 tranny?

ldproc0

I want to replace mine and I would like to know if anyone can tell me exactly where it is and/or provide a picture?

I apologize if I typed the tranny incorrectly so here's my car's specs:

1989 Olds Cutlass Supreme SL Automatic 3.1L V6

Thanks.

You can e-mail pictures to ldproc0@uky.edu

Under the airbox, on the front of the tranny you will see a black vacuum line running from the throttle body down to the tranny. It will attach to a big silverish thing. Thants your modulator. To change it, disconnect the vacuum line and take off the bolt that holds the retainer on, 13mm, IIRC. Pull the old modulator out, making sure the plunger and old O-ring come with it. Installation is the reverse of removal. I would suggest an adjustable modulator if you dont like how the stock one makes the shifts feel. The adjustable modulator lets you adjust the shift feel, from soft to hard, but it does not make the shifts any faster or slower. Hope that helps

Its a 4T60 tranny, btw. If you cant figure out where its located from that description, reply here and I'll get you a picture

Under the airbox, on the front of the tranny you will see a black vacuum line running from the throttle body down to the tranny. It will attach to a big silverish thing. Thants your modulator. To change it, disconnect the vacuum line and take off the bolt that holds the retainer on, 13mm, IIRC. Pull the old modulator out, making sure the plunger and old O-ring come with it. Installation is the reverse of removal. I would suggest an adjustable modulator if you dont like how the stock one makes the shifts feel. The adjustable modulator lets you adjust the shift feel, from soft to hard, but it does not make the shifts any faster or slower. Hope that helps

Its a 4T60 tranny, btw. If you cant figure out where its located from that description, reply here and I'll get you a picture

Thats good info Robby....

Did the TGP tranny have a different modulator that stock? I know the internals were different, but what about the modulator?

It's exactly where Robby said it was.

I got the new modulator valve from Autozone, Part # MV303, $11.99

When removing the retaining bar via the 13MM nut, make sure NOT to drop the retaining bar, this will save you LOTS of time if you drop it like I did.

Remove the factory o-ring so that the new mod. valve will slide in all the way with it's new o-ring.

My harsh P->Reverse shift is gone, woo hoo.

Keep in mind this info pertains to the 4 speed auto. Since he's talking a Cutlass I'm pretty sure he's right on, but thought I'd mention it.

Yeah, if it was a lumina there's always the possibility it could be the 3T40