windshield replacement

Brian P

Anyone go and do this themselves? It can't be that hard, but the worst would seem to be getting the old one out. I was doing a rear window on my friends car, using that "piano wire" between the metal and seal to cut it out, but it took forever. These guys doing windshields in 30 minutes must be doing something differently. Anyone know?

Once you get all the hardware out of the way then you can use the device you are using for 90% of the window. Installers use what is called a cold knife...long shaft with a razor blade at the end to cut away at the stubborn urethane. They also use an electronic type cutting knife(more so in back windows). Obviously you want to be inside the vehicle when it comes to the bull work...you can use your head while pushing the window. I hope you have some good glass gloves to protect you from the small glass splinters which are a PITA. Vacuum up the debris and then cut off any remaining urethane before cleaning the surface with alcohol...prime her up and lay a fresh bead of urethane on the mating surface(the urethane might have to be heated up to a certain temperature). Finally get a 2nd person to help you set the glass(we used those big suction cups)and your done. Reassemble all the hardware and dont wash your car for at least 1-2 days to let everything cure properly. Goodluck if you want to make an attempt.