Flash to pass highbeams

WhiteMonteZZZ

Das coo' mang, at least you were man enough to admit you were wrong :lol: .

It's just that this topic has been beaten to death, and nobody's ever shown conclusive proof that FTP exists on the 94-96 style columns.

Off topic, but where in Iowa are you located, 2CUTTYS?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DiscoStudd

• WhiteMonteZZZ

• supreme_style21

• Crazy K

I have to double click to flash and the flash to pass feature would be a great thing to have. I know that the 91-96 fleetwood has it, and may present a donor switch to convert, but I would like to know if anyone has come up with info on how to do this, or even, a tutorial?

What do you mean by double click to flash?

If, when your headlights are off, pulling on the stalk results in high beams coming on, regardless of the fact that you have to click twice so that your high beams won't be on next time you turn on the headlights, then you DO have flash to pass.

:shrug: Mine has it, and I thought my old cavalier had it too (the second half very well could be a lie:lol:)
I'd like to see a video of this, same deal I asked 2CUTTYS .

Crapaliers got FTP starting in 91, so any 91-05 will have it...

:shrug: Mine has it, and I thought my old cavalier had it too (the second half very well could be a lie:lol:)
I'd like to see a video of this, same deal I asked 2CUTTYS .

Crapaliers got FTP starting in 91, so any 91-05 will have it...

Mine was an 88, but it was a vert, so I don't know. I'll see if i can get pics or video, but that'll be a while (see sig)

Oh, I thought you were talking about the 94 in your sig. N/M...

My cavalier was an 88 vert that I thought had it, but its been so long I dont remember. I'm almost positive my cutty has it, but since it's down at the moment i couldnt get a video any time soon.

What do you mean by double click to flash?

If, when your headlights are off, pulling on the stalk results in high beams coming on, regardless of the fact that you have to click twice so that your high beams won't be on next time you turn on the headlights, then you DO have flash to pass.

They do not come on. They would if I had flash-to-pass.

By double click, I meant with the headlights on, you would have to click the highbeams on and off, you can't just pull halfway up to illuminate the high beams.

My 91 vert headlights flash when I pull the stalk with the headlights off, but i do not know if they would flash with the headlights on. (trannies out, it doesn't move reliable enough)

REST ASSURED... if I figure it out (probably this weekend) I will tell all.

H E L P R E Q U E S T !

someone with access to ALLDATA... to help me out.... can you find the highbeam/lowbeam headlight switch wiring diagram for:

91 CS, 92 Lumina, 95 CS?

ALSO, where I found the FTP info for the 94 was incorporated into the HUD info! (ie check if they have the info listed there for 91 and 95 CS, just in case) PM me or post the results.

I know that they did not make a 95 CS HUD, but I wonder if they might not have it in the manual, since they did build at least a prototype!

Thank you.

They do not come on. They would if I had flash-to-pass.

By double click, I meant with the headlights on, you would have to click the highbeams on and off, you can't just pull halfway up to illuminate the high beams.

My 91 vert headlights flash when I pull the stalk with the headlights off, but i do not know if they would flash with the headlights on. (trannies out, it doesn't move reliable enough)

Nope. They don't flash with the headlights on, the highbeams toggle. The FTP only works with the headlights off, although if you're careful you can get them to come on by pulling just gently enough that the switch doesn't click. I think that's what you're talking about pulling halfway, but I'm pretty sure the pulling halfway trick isn't by design, it's just coincidence.

I just verified my 94 definitely does not have FTP.

Nope. They don't flash with the headlights on, the highbeams toggle. The FTP only works with the headlights off, although if you're careful you can get them to come on by pulling just gently enough that the switch doesn't click. I think that's what you're talking about pulling halfway, but I'm pretty sure the pulling halfway trick isn't by design, it's just coincidence.

I just verified my 94 definitely does not have FTP.

works only when lights are off. ok...

Stand by for an update this weekend, I have the wiring info for the 94 FTP, as stated above. And it feels like the switch makes a contact when pulled halfway, although nothing happens. I'm sure that it is only a wire that is absent. I'll know by sunday. (for the 94 or 95)

if your vehicle has FTP, it should with the lights on or off... people won't stop passing just because they turned on their headlights :lol: :wink:

newer GM's have a better setup for it (like imports and such) where pulling the stick towards you does NOT lock on the highbeams, only keeps them on for as long as you hold it there (when you pull the stick back the low beams to NOT turn off)

if you have to push the stick forward to lock your highbeams on, you've got the newer, better version of FTP

I'v driven a crapload of W's at my job... some have it, some don't... pull the stick about 1/2 - 3/4 of the way on, and the highbeams come on without locking... just like the 2000+ dodge Ram

newer GM's have a better setup for it (like imports and such) where pulling the stick towards you does NOT lock on the highbeams, only keeps them on for as long as you hold it there (when you pull the stick back the low beams to NOT turn off)

if you have to push the stick forward to lock your highbeams on, you've got the newer, better version of FTP

I'v driven a crapload of W's at my job... some have it, some don't... pull the stick about 1/2 - 3/4 of the way on, and the highbeams come on without locking... just like the 2000+ dodge Ram

My Mali has the former, the Impala has the latter. Personally, I'm still attached to the old-school GM "pull till it clicks" beam changer. It's easier to forget you've got your highbeams on when the signal lever is pushed forward...

Yeah, my 86 Mercury Sable had the better version of FTP, and I remember finding GM's method to be very, very strange.

I have no idea how it's implemented in my truck, but I THINK you still have to pull back for high beams so it's probably still the old method.

Yeah, my 86 Mercury Sable had the better version of FTP, and I remember finding GM's method to be very, very strange.

I have no idea how it's implemented in my truck, but I THINK you still have to pull back for high beams so it's probably still the old method.

there's about a 60% chance of anything pre-2002 or pre-2003 in the truck division, having it, I think... some have it, and some don't... and some, the FTP comes on at 99% of travel before the highbeam click, lol

I *think* my dad's '96 Suburban has the pull forward and it clicks style...I totally forget :oops:

I know the turn signals on his Suburban are nice and prescise however...like a knife through butter as supremestyle21 says