Flash to pass highbeams

WhiteMonteZZZ

Do any of you have the "flash to pass" feature on your w's? For those who don't understand, it's where you pull back the turn signal lever BEFORE the detent/click and it flashes your highbeams (headlights don't have to be on). My Z doesn't have this, but a few guys over at MyMonte have it on their cars. My friend's 91 Buick century had it, my friend's 97 bonneville has it, but mine doesn't. Anyone have any insight into this?

WMZZZ

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DiscoStudd

• WhiteMonteZZZ

• supreme_style21

• Crazy K

as far as I know no first-gens have them. It annoys the shit out of me.

I'm surprised that yours doesn't have it, having been redesigned.

maybe '95+ (-chevies) ineteriors have it?

I can't say I'd want it either, but was just wondering why a 91 century would have it, but a 95 not (and a 97 bonne would). Strange. But...that's GM. And also iono if it's gen-specific. Over at MyMonte.com, it's hit-or-miss who has it. IIRC Manitcor has it on his 95 LS, but my 95 Z34 doesn't, and some of the 99 guys don't either. Lol...how's that for logic?

WMZZZ

Now i'm lost. Lol. Altho maybe it's DRL related? My 95 never had DRLs (we got those in 96 or 97 standard). But, it can't be in the fact my friend's 91 century had them. Ahhhhhhhhhh lol. :?: :idea: :?:

Haha....now to combat that statement, just found that my friend's 00 gp has it. Tho now we're dealin w/post 95 Pontiacs that have it.....lol....i love GM's mysteries.

Oh, does anyone know what is involved in hooking these up (or disabling them, whichever way you want to look at it)? Just curious if it's the turn signal switch or something else.

WMZZZ

The dimmer switch on the 94-Up Gen 1 W's are a bit different than the other GM's with the "saginaw" column, even though the columns are similar. I remember reading that if you had a "normal" saginaw column (like damn near every GM made from 78-99) you could swap in a dimmer switch from a 91-96 Cadillac Fleetwood, which had "flash to pass."

On the "normal" saginaw columns, the dimmer switch is halfway down the column, and a rod runs between the signal lever and dimmer switch. On our cars, the dimmer switch resides inside the column, and is considerably smaller, so it's not possible to swap in the Fleetwood's dimmer switch...

Here's the location on the W's with the saginaw column:

column4.jpg

FYI, http://www.keymotorsusa.com used to have a photo of the Fleetwood's dimmer switch installed on a 95 Caprice 9C1

Disco,

Informational. Couple questions/comments tho. I know what u mean about the diff. columns. W-s were the only GMs to have the hazard button up top, as opposed to the 2-pc button of every other GM car made (and early jeep cherokees as well). But, why then would some Montes have it and some not? They all have the same column as me from 95-99 (and other w's as well).

WMZZZ

I've never understood the point of it.. isn't that what blinkers are for? If some cock started flashing his brights behind me, just to tell me he's gonna pass, I'll take it a different way .. then its on like donkey kong.

I've never understood the point of it.. isn't that what blinkers are for? If some cock started flashing his brights behind me, just to tell me he's gonna pass, I'll take it a different way .. then its on like donkey kong.

I never understood either, but i'm just wondering why it's so hit-or-miss w/having it or not. :oops:

are you sure '00ish GP's have it? With the DRL's running and all, I can't see how that's even possible. Regardless though, I doubt the 97+ column parts would work in yours.

Almost entirely sure, can check sometime soon. I know the 97+ have a diff. column, and i doubt the parts would work either. just tryin to get an understanding on the workings of it w/the columns like we have.

WMZZZ

I'm almost positive my dads TGP has it. Because you have to pull the lever back to get the turn signals to work right in it, and I hit the bright lights all the time. My moms '00 SSEi and my dads '02 GTP both definately have it. Haven't driven my STE in a while, so I don't remember.

Shawn

Disco,

Informational. Couple questions/comments tho. I know what u mean about the diff. columns. W-s were the only GMs to have the hazard button up top, as opposed to the 2-pc button of every other GM car made (and early jeep cherokees as well). But, why then would some Montes have it and some not? They all have the same column as me from 95-99 (and other w's as well).

WMZZZ

I wonder if it was a matter of said Monte having a worn dimmer switch. You'd think it would be listed as an available option, and a different part # available. I'm gonna look it up...

...Well, GMParts Direct has a different # for the 95 Monte and Lumina than 95 & 96 Regals (they didn't have anything listed for the Monte or Lumina past 95)

95 Monte dimmer switch part # is 10467409

95 and 96 Regal dimmer switch part # is 10498759

So maybe part # 10467409 is an elusive "Flash-to-Pass" dimmer switch???

Wonder if my car has that... sounds like a stupid feature :think:

I hate DRLs I liked how my 88' I would be able to turn the lights on when I wanted to (I still drove during the day with the lights on though). I just like having the option. Doesn't help if your battery is low on juice and you are trying to start your car while the car is trying to turn the lights on.. :roll:

Wonder if my car has that... sounds like a stupid feature :think:

I hate DRLs I liked how my 88' I would be able to turn the lights on when I wanted to (I still drove during the day with the lights on though). I just like having the option. Doesn't help if your battery is low on juice and you are trying to start your car while the car is trying to turn the lights on.. :roll:

Its designed to cancel all things like that when starting.. unless you're talking about when the key is on but not started.. When you start, the accessories cancel out.. ie radio, fans.

it's common courtesy for a trucker to flash his brights after you pass him to let you know you're clear and can merge back into that lane

i've experinced this many times when i use to drive a box truck...it's very helpful...and i do flash my brights for other truckers when driving my gp now

i don't think my gp has this...i think you have to make it click for the brights to come on

it's common courtesy for a trucker to flash his brights after you pass him to let you know you're clear and can merge back into that lane

i've experinced this many times when i use to drive a box truck...it's very helpful...and i do flash my brights for other truckers when driving my gp now

i don't think my gp has this...i think you have to make it click for the brights to come on

For that, just flash your lights off/on. And a quick flash of the hazards for a 'thank you'

Both my 88 and 89 regals have that. Although only my 89 has the DRL. FYI, you can turn off the head lights on any DRL GM my applying the Parking brake before turning on the key.

my 89's got it!

You know what else it has - confused the shit out me one day - An alarm for idiots that leave the turn signals on!

My dad's 02 Sierra has that. Neat feature :lol: I read about it in the manual, and just had to try it