• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DiscoStudd

• WhiteMonteZZZ

• supreme_style21

• Crazy K

I think the purpose of it is to have people get out of your way when you're coming up on them from behind and you're on the highway and you have your cruise control on and you don't want to have to press the brake.

Guest TurboSedan

my Cutlass doesn't have flash-to-pass feature but i wish it did. the '93 Lumina steering column that's in the car now doesn't have it either :?

it's a rather useless feature but my GTS has it and i like it. i never actually use it when passing people though (seems like it would be rude). usually i use it when i think i see something in the road at night and need more visibility for a few seconds. i also use it when someone in the oncoming lane has their headlights off at night, or to flash someone in the oncoming lane that has their high beams on.

I think the purpose of it is to have people get out of your way when you're coming up on them from behind and you're on the highway and you have your cruise control on and you don't want to have to press the brake.

Ummm.. for some reason, perhaps logic, I highly doubt that is what they had in mind..

Ummm.. for some reason, perhaps logic, I highly doubt that is what they had in mind..

Whoa for a sec I thought you were C-bad (sig) dammit

Whoa for a sec I thought you were C-bad (sig) dammit

He copied me :leaving:

skipping two pages...:

When I read flash-to-pass, I think you can pull halfway back on the stalk (without it clicking highbeams on) just to flash your highs quick. At any time. Sure, with my headlights off I can still pull it back (and have it click on/off) to flash them, but it's not an easy quick-flick, and I can't do it with my headlights on because the highbeams stay on then.

The concept behind the name is absolutely retarded, but I like being able to flash my highs to let people know I'm going to wait and let them turn or something at times when they wouldn't be able to see a hand movement or something. In any other car I'd just pull halfway back twice just to flash them quick, instead of the slow clumsiness of having to actually pull back 4 times to do the same two flashes with headlights on (once on, once off, once on, once off again.)

Right, it's not for people doing the lane changing, it's for people who are nice enough to keep contact with other drivers and be curteous. God knows I've had morons come up behind me flashing their brights, going 90 MPH in the left lane, while I'm keeping up with traffic. It's the fast lane, not the high-speed trooper-bait lane.

I always flash my brights if someone wants to get into my lane, and I'm slowing down for them. Or I'll do it at a 4-way stop if I'm giving right-of-way. It's not rude, it's curteous. It's like you can't wave at someone for letting you in without them thinking you're flipping them off. Since when did road rage become the rule, rather than the exception?

It's called "Flash to Pass" it's intention is to let the person you are passing know you are passing, usually on the left, you "Flash" your lights to let them know that you are overtaking, or "Passing", in case he or she may be thinking about passing a car ahead of them, that you are there. It is not for some dick less wonder shooting up the left lane at 90mph bobbing and weaving in and out of every lane so he can get to the mall to buy some more dingle balls for his car, and he just has to get there the 12 seconds sooner then he would if he drove properly.

It's called "Flash to Pass" it's intention is to let the person you are passing know you are passing

....the above information was brought to you buy the Department of Redundancy Department.....

It's called "Flash to Pass" it's intention is to let the person you are passing know you are passing

....the above information was brought to you buy the Department of Redundancy Department.....

Sorry about the redundancy thing, but from what I had read up to that point, most seem to be missing the purpose of the "Flash to Pass" feature. But in America if you flash to pass, the next flash you see may be a muzzle flash. So be careful.

• 1 year later...

Sorry for bringing up the old thread, but it made more sense than starting a new thread, as the info about flash-to-pass is already contained.....

My 91 CS vert has it,

but the dead 91 lum, 92 lum, 94 CS, 95 CS, long gone pontiac 6000, and parents 95 Ciera do not.

I have to double click to flash and the flash to pass feature would be a great thing to have. I know that the 91-96 fleetwood has it, and may present a donor switch to convert, but I would like to know if anyone has come up with info on how to do this, or even, a tutorial?

about three years ago I found a tutorial on how to add flash to pass to a 80-87 cutlass RWD, using the caddy switch... but would have to find it again.

The info would even allow those of you who hate it to disconnect it, as it is controlled by only 1 wire. (but you should really fix your bad signal switch instead!)

I think I summed it up best on page 1:

The dimmer switch on the 94-Up Gen 1 W's are a bit different than the other GM's with the "saginaw" column, even though the columns are similar. I remember reading that if you had a "normal" saginaw column (like damn near every GM made from 78-99) you could swap in a dimmer switch from a 91-96 Cadillac Fleetwood, which had "flash to pass."

On the "normal" saginaw columns, the dimmer switch is halfway down the column, and a rod runs between the signal lever and dimmer switch. On our cars, the dimmer switch resides inside the column, and is considerably smaller, so it's not possible to swap in the Fleetwood's dimmer switch...

Here's the location on the W's with the saginaw column:

column4.jpg

FYI, http://www.keymotorsusa.com used to have a photo of the Fleetwood's dimmer switch installed on a 95 Caprice 9C1

There's no way the Fleetwood dimmer will fit on the 94-01 1G W-Body columns.

I know. I blanked for a second! but could the same caddy switch work on my 92 lumina? it still uses toggle-rod technology.

as for the saginaw column...... I have a a dealer service manual... time to dig...

Both my 94 and 95 has flash to pass and i use it . But i use it to warn on coming traffic that a cop (HIGHWAY PATROL) in down the road. flashing headlights 2 with flash to pass mean "warning cop ahead"

well just did the research...

found that the 94 CS Headlight diagram doesn't show the info. But the HUD details show the wire routing and the plugs. When i have seen this before it means that all that would be necessary would be the addition of a wire.... (as seen when i added 2nd gear start to the 95 CS, the PCM diagram detailed it, but not any other internal car ones)

I would guess that the dimmer switch has an empty terminal, and it would run from the terminal through the wiring connector at the bottom of the column, to a termianl at the switch. will inspect and get back to this in a few days.

"Gopher" it, Crazy Kooter :lol: . It just doesn't seem to me like the 94+ switch could possibly have the "indent" there for FTP . If you get FTP it to work, please share how you did it.

2CUTTYS, I'd like to see a video of this. Sit behind the wheel with the headlights off, and film yourself pulling on the signal lever slightly (and get the high-beam indicator in the shot as well.) I don't know how many times I've heard people on here claiming to have FTP on their 94-96 and they never produce any definitive proof.