whats faster??

MoTox8410

Flat power curves aren't that great. I mean if you like them, then go for it. I personally hate it. I really like the really 'peaky' power output of the 3.4L DOHC. Yah 260 is a lot, but when your car is making 350, 260 isn't a lot. In fact it starts to suck. I mean like my car, at 2,000rpm, is probably making about 100ft lbs of torque. THis sucks when i have some 250-300 later on. But for like a Honda, whos max is 115ft lbs, making 100 at a given point is a good place to be.

If your auto has the power to roast them from a stop, then a driver can make a difference. But a stock GT vs a stock LQ1, neither has this power. At least in CO, neither do. Bowtiekid's frekishly fast Z34 auto could only chirp them, and the GTPs I drove couldn't get more than 5ft of squeling. So you powerbrake and floor it.

Judging from the 6 GTPS I've driven, not one of them hit the next gear at 4500rpm. Not even close. All 6 shifted between 5600-5800rpm, and they landed right at 3. So assume you hold it to 6200, the max it will land is 3500. But this isn't really all that bad, especially on a L67. But you saying your cars power range is 4200-6200, 3000 isn't a good place to be.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aaron

• sl3196

• mfewtrail

• dbtk2

Top Posters In This Topic

Flat power curves aren't that great. I mean if you like them, then go for it. I personally hate it. I really like the really 'peaky' power output of the 3.4L DOHC. Yah 260 is a lot, but when your car is making 350, 260 isn't a lot. In fact it starts to suck. I mean like my car, at 2,000rpm, is probably making about 100ft lbs of torque. THis sucks when i have some 250-300 later on. But for like a Honda, whos max is 115ft lbs, making 100 at a given point is a good place to be.

If your auto has the power to roast them from a stop, then a driver can make a difference. But a stock GT vs a stock LQ1, neither has this power. At least in CO, neither do. Bowtiekid's frekishly fast Z34 auto could only chirp them, and the GTPs I drove couldn't get more than 5ft of squeling. So you powerbrake and floor it.

Judging from the 6 GTPS I've driven, not one of them hit the next gear at 4500rpm. Not even close. All 6 shifted between 5600-5800rpm, and they landed right at 3. So assume you hold it to 6200, the max it will land is 3500. But this isn't really all that bad, especially on a L67. But you saying your cars power range is 4200-6200, 3000 isn't a good place to be.

Flat power curves make a big difference in drag racing. When you compare two cars and each has 400hp, both with the same weight, and the same gearing, same traction, etc..., one of the cars might be a lot quicker than the other. Because one might peak at 400hp, but make an average of 250 whereas the other might make an average of 350.

Maybe you don't know how to read a tach!?!? My dads car shifts at 6200 out of every gear (since he's had his computer programmed), and the limiter is now at 6600. But when it shifts at 6200 it ends up at around 4500 or so in the next gear, even higher if he winds it out close to 6600 (don't know what kind of power it makes there though, because we didn't rev past 6200 on the dyno with the old PCM). I'll find an old autotap log and show you the shiftpoints.

For now, here is a log I found on club GP, this car has the stock tranny too, and ~6200rpm shiftpoints. Look at the revs: (for some reason I can't get it to link the picture to this site, so here is his post about it)

http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tm.asp?m=1825483&appid=&p=&mpage=1&key=autotap&language=single&tmode=&smode=&s=#1847692

And honestly, I'm not talking about what happens at elevation. I understand you're way up there, but at sea level you're gonna have a big drivers race between the cars. But like I said, by just shifting my STE at the right time I gained over a tenth in the 1/4, so even at altitude drivers can make a difference.

Shawn

F

Aaron you tool.:lol: Get your shit straight. My "stock" pcm GTP shifts at 5800 and then drops to 4k for second. Also you can hold second gear until 6k and it will shift to third around 90.

http://www.rmcgp.com/mupld/sl3196/IMAG0003.AVI

I launched my 3100/auto at the dragstrip and just sat there smoking the tires at 25mph until I let off...I only loaded the converter to 2000. Mine will chirp them going straight even off idle..

Hell, my mom's '97 GP GT 3800 will spin them a hell of harder than my car will. Turning the traction control off makes a big difference in your ability to use the torque.