whats faster??

MoTox8410

just been thinking what cars should a LQ1 or a Z34 be able to "beat" or have compareable specs--- a list

also is the 3800 faster than the 3.4 and how much does the 3800 SC pull on the 3.4

thanks

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aaron

• sl3196

• mfewtrail

• dbtk2

Top Posters In This Topic

Back in the day an LQ1 would womp all over most any 90's Chrylser or Ford family mobile, plus it was more than a match for most cars with a four cylinder. It aslo killed 3.4 V6 F-Bodies, and V6 Mustangs.

Nowdays however its got the privilege of being able to keep up with most cars while not looking overly stupid.

A 3800 is a pretty good match for an LQ1, the 3800 will take it off the line from a dead stop, but the 3.4 should catch up about halfway through the quarter as it reaches the higher revs it likes so much. The race would likely be a dead heat, I'd think that the 3800 would have the advantage though.

A SC 3800 (L67), is another story entirely. Assuming nothing is wrong with it the L67 should kick the crap out of an LQ1, probably a good car length or two at the quarter mark.

I think most hardtop 3.4 cars are around 3200 lbs, add some more weight for the later years as ABS and airbags were added, plus more heavily optioned cars will obviously weigh slightly more. Convertible's however are pleasantly plump at something like 3500-3600 lbs.

Differances in speed are more likely due to the cars mechanical condition at this age.

WhiteOut pretty much said it already...but i do have to add that a 5-Speed 3.4 DOHC would give a 3800 S/C a run for its money. it's nice when we can all have forced induction! :roll:

Yes it doesn't take much at all(chip and CAI) to get a 5-speed LQ1 to hang right with a L67. As for the weight, the Z34 came in right around 3400lbs.

And the 3.4L TDC weighs about the same as a L67, or L36. The L67s massive 90* block makes up for the DOHC's heavy ass cam towers.

A stock auto LQ1 vs a stock L36 is close but the L36 wins at the end. Motor trend did a test between the 97 Z34 and the 98 Z34 MC's and the L36 was slightly faster in the 1/4 mile.

Also the LQ1 is heavier than the L36. All that aluminum adds up. plus the L36 has that weight saving plasitc intake manifold :)

Motor trend did a test between the 97 Z34 and the 98 Z34 MC's and the L36 was slightly faster in the 1/4 mile.

i beg to differ my friend, i've always though it to be hilarious that the 98 MC Z34 was actually slower than the 97 MC Z34. they are like one second difference in the 1/4 mile, and EVERY place i've seen has agreed with me.

Motor trend did a test between the 97 Z34 and the 98 Z34 MC's and the L36 was slightly faster in the 1/4 mile.

i beg to differ my friend, i've always though it to be hilarious that the 98 MC Z34 was actually slower than the 97 MC Z34. they are like one second difference in the 1/4 mile, and EVERY place i've seen has agreed with me.

I agree. Not a whole second, but it wasn't faster. It was like 4 tenths slower IIRC. 15.6 DOHC vs a 16.0 L36.

I agree. Not a whole second, but it wasn't faster. It was like 4 tenths slower IIRC. 15.6 DOHC vs a 16.0 L36.

I have an article here w/ a Buick Regal and Monte Carlo Z34 comparison(1995 cars). The L27 series I 3800 ran 16.0@81mph in the Regal and the Z34 did a 15.5@83.2mph. I seriously doubt there's a whole lot of weight difference in between a Regal and a monte + given the fact that the L36 has ~35hp more then what the Regal had in that article...I can easily see mid 15's out of the 3800 powered Z34.

EDIT: found this on a "factory stock vehicles 1/4 mile list"..it's the one that comes up most often when searching.

1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 7.8 15.5

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 7.5 15.7

I'm sure the 98's can run quicker then that since magazine times are often times a little slower(no track prep, they probably fill the tank, etc.)then what others achieve.

L67 is faster hands down.

We're talking about a N/A 3800. But a 5-speed 3.4L TDC is not too far back. With the intake, chip, and UD pulley we were side by side.

Unless the guy with the L67 decides he wants to spend $50 on a pulley and you get blown away even worse than you would've stock vs. stock. However, I have a hard time believing that a 5 speed 3.4 runs mid 14's with just those 3 mods.

Shawn

Well look at my 14.78, that was with just those mods, and still at some altitude. Corrected it was like a 14.56. Yah that pulley helps the L67s a lot. They feel like a totally different car. I ran this silver GTP(fastest GTP I've raced, factory freak for sure), when I had just those things, and he had his intake and exhaust. We were side by side up to 130. Then I rebuilt my motor and added headers. He added a pulley, headers, and roller rockers. We raced again, and we were still side by bloody side. I was impressed I was still able to keep up, but God did his blower sound MEAN!!!

Well look at my 14.78, that was with just those mods, and still at some altitude. Corrected it was like a 14.56. Yah that pulley helps the L67s a lot. They feel like a totally different car. I ran this silver GTP(fastest GTP I've raced, factory freak for sure), when I had just those things, and he had his intake and exhaust. We were side by side up to 130. Then I rebuilt my motor and added headers. He added a pulley, headers, and roller rockers. We raced again, and we were still side by bloody side. I was impressed I was still able to keep up, but God did his blower sound MEAN!!!

It wasn't a factory freak then. I see them do 14.5's ALL THE TIME stock. I've seen a couple do 14.3's, and there are quite a few that have gone that fast stock on club GP. My moms SSEi with $400 in mods weighs over 4000lbs race weight and runs high 13's. How much do you have into your LQ1? How much does that car weigh again? An L67 with the same cash into it as an LQ1 will surely spank the LQ1 all day long, in an equal weight car. You also have to remember that your car is a "freak" as you call it. Everyone else with similar mods as what you had on your 14.78 run runs low 15's, so its not like everyone with those mods can run that fast.

Shawn

There is no one on these boards with the similiar mods in a 5-speed. CLose tho.

Yes my car is/was a freak as well, it has always run quick, but as has bowtiekids.

This GTP ran fast, trust me. And we don't even want to get into what he did to me off the line.

Altitude has very minimal effects on a GTP, mainly they have to wait like a few hundred rpm later for boost to come on. So basically off the line, but their factory tq converter will raise the rpm enough to have 80% boost right off the line in Colorado. And then a split second later its at full boost.

Altitude has very minimal effects on a GTP, mainly they have to wait like a few hundred rpm later for boost to come on. So basically off the line, but their factory tq converter will raise the rpm enough to have 80% boost right off the line in Colorado. And then a split second later its at full boost.

:bs: Just ask my club members that run at bandimere. One guy ran almost 1 second faster at the grand prix gathering in the midwest. I believe the altitude was under 1,000 ft there. Look at my time and mods and tell me it has minimal effects.

I ran a 15.22 at 6500ft!!! Yet my car can't beat a L67. Sorry, let's not argue tho...

Theoretically, it will have an impact. But it should be almost unnoticeable, especially compared with a 4 valve per cyl motor. A second drop from Bandimere is a bit much for me to believe, but stranger things have happened. A lot of that is becuz of tire spin as well. Most FWDs like tire spin off the line, and a L67 is no different. But at Bandi, you have no prayer. Shanes L67 Lumina (14.38 at Bandi), could barely chirp them off the line.

I ran a 15.22 at 6500ft!!! Yet my car can't beat a L67. Sorry, let's not argue tho...

Theoretically, it will have an impact. But it should be almost unnoticeable, especially compared with a 4 valve per cyl motor. A second drop from Bandimere is a bit much for me to believe, but stranger things have happened. A lot of that is becuz of tire spin as well. Most FWDs like tire spin off the line, and a L67 is no different. But at Bandi, you have no prayer. Shanes L67 Lumina (14.38 at Bandi), could barely chirp them off the line.

I'll have to search for the slips. It is coloradocoolbreeze on clubgp. It was somewhere around .7-.8 faster then at bandimere. So aaron what are you going to be driving this summer? (we should meet at bandimere sometime as I plan on coming down to run with my club.)

Wish I could!

Too bad, I am in the process of selling my car. Depending on if the deal goes through, it will be gone on Spring break, but maybe this X-mas depending on his decision.

Since I'm in school, I really have no need for a car, so I'm selling both my Z's and starting my Monster 3.4L buildup, which should find itself in a Fiero next X-mas.