Silvered my rear sidemarkers

GnatGoSplat

Awhile back, I posted some pics and DykZ34 suggested I should shave the rear sidemarkers on my 89 Cutlass for a cleaner look. I didn't really want to shave them, but it gave me an idea (thanks DykZ34!).

After looking at many silver spray paints, I was able to find one that's very translucent. I think it even blocks less light than Niteshades.

IMG_0868.jpg

IMG_0869.jpg

IMG_0847.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GnatGoSplat

• Aaron

• 93CutlassSupreme

• rudefyet

Thanks for the compliments, guys! :D

That's really freeaking sweet. Just regular spray paint? What brand? I might have to find a color for the darker silver ground effects.

I just checked, it's Dupli-Color wheel paint. You're in luck, it also comes in dark metallic silver (like gunmetal). They sell it at Wal-mart. Take the cap off and hold it up, you'll see light pass through it. Pretty cool, it's the only paint I found that passes light that easily. I didn't check to see how transparent the dark silver is, but I'm guessing it's probably similar.

I wouldn't even care much about the transparency, although I absolutely hate burned out bulbs. I have like 3 sets of those sidemarkers, I could experiment some I suppose. A guy could probably control how much light gets through with how much paint you apply as well.

I wouldn't even care much about the transparency, although I absolutely hate burned out bulbs. I have like 3 sets of those sidemarkers, I could experiment some I suppose. A guy could probably control how much light gets through with how much paint you apply as well.

With just enough coats to block the red, there really isn't very much reduction in light output at all. It lighting up just in the middle is normal, the rest is reflector. I thought it might be cool to use LEDs or an EL panel to make the whole thing light up uniformly, but that'll be a project for another day.

I thought it might be cool to use LEDs or an EL panel to make the whole thing light up uniformly, but that'll be a project for another day.
thats my plan for right under the reverse lights and my rear side markers. :wink: oh and my reverse lights will be uber bright cause of 3 bulbs in each reverse light

Your car looks really good! Did you have that when I was out there? If so it looked nothing like it does now!

One suggestion, I bet a 1" drop in the front, and 1.5" in the back(judging from the pics), would make it look really sweet.

Your car looks really good! Did you have that when I was out there? If so it looked nothing like it does now!

One suggestion, I bet a 1" drop in the front, and 1.5" in the back(judging from the pics), would make it look really sweet.

if it's dropped anymore, it'll look like beaner mobile :lol:

it is clean though

Guess it has. Looking closer the tires make it look as if it hasn't. Or something...I still think that a half inch off the rear would look a lot better, it seems to have a downward angle to it...

Guess it has. Looking closer the tires make it look as if it hasn't. Or something...I still think that a half inch off the rear would look a lot better, it seems to have a downward angle to it...

It's lowered, but the rear didn't lower enough to match the front. I'd like to lower the rear more, but I'd have to get a spring made from Canada. I don't really like the idea of using coilovers in the rear.

The front lowered much better, but now the wheel gap looks about the same as a stock Camry or Maxima. I would really like for it to come down another 1.5" in front and 2.5" in rear. This is how I think it would look:

IMG_0744-lowered.jpg

Yeah, I did have this car when you were here, I've had it for 10yrs and 9-months.

I think they still make them. They are CSA Gladiators. Basically a Mille Miglia Evo 5 clone, but without the fake bolts. I bought them from National Tire in Canada and had them shipped to Missouri.

There are no US distributors/sales for them.

It's lowered, but the rear didn't lower enough to match the front. I'd like to lower the rear more, but I'd have to get a spring made from Canada. I don't really like the idea of using coilovers in the rear.

The front lowered much better, but now the wheel gap looks about the same as a stock Camry or Maxima. I would really like for it to come down another 1.5" in front and 2.5" in rear. This is how I think it would look:

Yeah, I did have this car when you were here, I've had it for 10yrs and 9-months.

Huh I don't remember it. I like it a lot better in that photochop pic. Now I think you should put dual exhaust on it, maybe 2 rectangles, like Z28 tips, but chrome them, and space them 1/2" down, and 2" back, from the back bumper.

Awhile back, I posted some pics and DykZ34 suggested I should shave the rear sidemarkers on my 89 Cutlass for a cleaner look.

Looks great GnatGoSplat! I remember clearing out the rear sidemarkers on my Cutlass.

Looks extremely good! Keep it up! :D BTW, awesome wheels!

- Erik