how much $$ for valve job?

Guest TurboSedan

Guest TurboSedan

well i brought my TGP heads down to the machine shop today. i disassembled the heads myself a few days ago, and had all of the valvetrain parts in their own labled bags (1I,1E,2I,2E,etc,etc).

i'm having the heads cleaned and bead blasted, new freeze plugs installed (one was leaking pretty bad), 3-angle valve job, checked for flatness and reassembled with new valve seals. i let them know that i really did not want the heads to be resurfaced if possible...i'm really hoping they don't need it.

altogether it's going to be about $140. does that sound like a fair price?

thanks

That's a fair price. I took mine to the machinist when they were off the TGP and it usually runs about $200 for total teardown buildup. I got out of there for $300 even with the block honed, heads redone and damn did they look good. I took him the valve seals and cam bearings.

Josh,

Valve seals are one thing to have done...but valve guides should also be done at the same time. Machine shops normally charge between $6-8 per guide to have them installed. There is some machine work they need to do to get them in properly... 8)

Guest TurboSedan
Josh,

Valve seals are one thing to have done...but valve guides should also be done at the same time. Machine shops normally charge between $6-8 per guide to have them installed. There is some machine work they need to do to get them in properly... 8)

thanks Kenny. i just got my new valve seals and a bunch of gaskets for my 3.1 tonight so i'll be going down to the machine shop tomarrow to drop the seals off. i'll ask them about the valve guides and probably have them done too.

i believe this machine shop is very competent. i've heard nothing but good about them from alot of people. i had them resurface my 2.2 cylinder head and install new valve seals a couple months ago and was very happy with thier work.

Guest TurboSedan
(almost..) on the same topic: how much would it cost to have the block bored? I'd love to have a 3.2 turbo...

i'd like to know this too. i have my TGP 'V' engine sitting on an engine stand tucked back in the corner of my garage right now. it has a melted piston and i believe it will need a .020 overbore....although the cylinder walls look perfect which is surprising considering the way the piston looks. after i get my 3.1 turbo 'T' engine done and installed in my Cutty the 'V' engine will be torn down and new Mahle pistons will be ordered for it (and many other things :twisted: ). i don't really expect this 227,000 mile 'T' engine to last very long with 8psi being stuffed into it so i figure i should start on the 'V' engine rebuild straight away lol. it would be nice if i could get away with honing the 'V' block but i'll probably have to go .020 over.

I would stay away from Bronze guides on a turbo head. If theres alot of play..(i highly dout it)..then new valves. Usualy the exhaust valves are toast on the seat...so new valves are always a good Idea.

Guest TurboSedan

what kind of material would be better for valve guides?

these heads 'only' have 111,000 miles on them, at least that's what the odometer read in the TSTE the engine came from. it's just that i'm on an extremely limited budget, it sounds like new guides are going to be another $75-$100.

Guest TurboSedan

just dropped off the valve seals at the machine shop. the guy there didn't seem to think they would need to be replaced, but he would check them out to be sure.

YOur using Viton seals right. Those are the good ones.

I would think these heads would hardly ever need valve guides. Steel on steel. Other heads are steel to cast iron. I would highly dout they wear..if anything..just the valve steems..but like I said. theise turbo heads love to eat exhaust valves. New valves and your set.

Guest TurboSedan
YOur using Viton seals right. Those are the good ones.

I would think these heads would hardly ever need valve guides. Steel on steel. Other heads are steel to cast iron. I would highly dout they wear..if anything..just the valve steems..but like I said. theise turbo heads love to eat exhaust valves. New valves and your set.

i'm not totally sure they are Viton or not. they are Sealed Power part# MV1947S.

• 1 month later...
Guest TurboSedan

well i got the TGP heads back from the machine shop today. total - $191. this included:

$2.68 - 4 expansion plugs

$30.00 - surface both heads

$144.00 - hot wash, bead blast, grind valves & seats and assemble heads

$5.22 - service supplies

$9.10 - tax

the heads look excellent! they look practically brand new compared to when i brought them in. i talked to the machinist when i brought the heads in and told him i really didn't want the heads to be resurfaced if possible because the engine will be seeing ~10psi. he told me he just barely touched them so i'd have a good surface for the head gaskets to seal to. all in all i'm pretty happy about it. i just bolted the heads onto my 'T' engine tonight with new Fel-Pro head bolts & Fel-Pro 9471PT head gaskets. hopefully i'll have the rest of the valvetrain together tomarrow along with the lower intake and valve covers. i still gotta pick up my Melling 95HV oil pump and then i can get the rest of the motor together, bolt my new Luk clutch kit & 282 onto it and drop this sucker in my Cutlass :)

ahhhh progress feels good.

Sweet Josh.. get some pics up of them when you can. These are my heads when I got them back from RPM, the best machinist around here.

HPIM0140.jpg

HPIM0132.jpg

HPIM0131.jpg[/img]

I know I've posted these before but it's something to compare to. Now get to work putting it back together and get it running! $191 is a fair price too! I paid around $200 for mine then another $100 or so for the block work.. cam bearings, cleaning, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

They look excellent. Nothing like the nice clean look of aluminum. They came out really good hope everything goes smooth. I have to go to the j/y this week and look for a few things, so I will look for that bracket. I have one but I will need it eventually.. but there is always a few new w-bodies everytime I go.

Those heads look really good. When I bought my 3100 heads on ebay they had been freshly rebuilt, so IMO I stole them at $110 for the pair becuase they been resurfaced, hot tanked, new valve seals, valve job, etc..., and they had beehive valve springs on them. So IMO I got a pretty good deal. But I would definately say you did not get a bad deal yourself. It looks like it was worth every penny of that $191 to me.

Shawn

• 3 weeks later...