92 rear calipers

quinn

Never "decided" on the spare tire, read that few other have run into the situation where they had done the swap and then gotten a flat and "tried" the spare..... did not work - too small. Hope I don't run into that situation.

As for the dust shield, might not have been there after 94 but it is there in 92, so I kept it, just a little altered. Not a bad idea if you run dirt roads etc....

D

I would hate to be the ONLY helpfull person, well aleast one of the helpfull people here. there were a few good responses, but no answers.

I have just finished a conversion from 88-93 to 94+ calipers in the rear. It works if you already have disc brakes in the rear. There is two things,

1) The parking brake cables do NOT work!!

and

2) the dust shield needs to be "adjusted" to accomidate the new larger rotor.

Oh, and the spare tire will now not fit, increased offset of caliper.....

PM me if you want details...

D

quinn wrote:

Just bought a 92 gp le , jacked it up to take a look at the rear brakes. The rotor hub is busted off of the disk, the caliper's screws are frozen and the pads are gone. Good thing the fronts are good or I wouldn't have made it home.

To the point: Is there any way to easily fix the calipers or will I have to invest in a new pair? Any leads on where to get used/rebuilt calipers?

Thanks.

Lee

The dust shield was never on the 94+ so its ok if u don't use it, and the spare tire i never really knew about? How did u decide that one out?

I would hate to be the ONLY helpfull person, well aleast one of the helpfull people here. there were a few good responses, but no answers.

I have just finished a conversion from 88-93 to 94+ calipers in the rear. It works if you already have disc brakes in the rear. There is two things,

and

D

Just bought a 92 gp le , jacked it up to take a look at the rear brakes. The rotor hub is busted off of the disk, the caliper's screws are frozen and the pads are gone. Good thing the fronts are good or I wouldn't have made it home.

To the point: Is there any way to easily fix the calipers or will I have to invest in a new pair? Any leads on where to get used/rebuilt calipers?

Thanks.

Lee

Actually your "helpful" answer had nothing to do with his original question, which wasn't about converting the brakes, but anyway...

I've done the rear conversion on my old '90. It was only worth it for the reliability. Braking was the same. And I wouldn't do it again, since stainless steel slider pins are available for '88-93.

and

D

Thanks.

Lee

Actually your "helpful" answer had nothing to do with his original question, which wasn't about converting the brakes, but anyway...

I've done the rear conversion on my old '90. It was only worth it for the reliability. Braking was the same. And I wouldn't do it again, since stainless steel slider pins are available for '88-93.

do you have a part number for those pins?

i picked up some Raybestos PG Plus sliders my last brake job, and they were non-magnetic...SS is non-magnetic, right? anyways, they wern't listed as stainless steel, and now my caliper boots are leaking grease, so i'd like to pick up some of those slides

Guest TurboSedan

:werd:

i'm actually considering reverting back to the older '88-'93 style rear brakes on my car, just so i can finally have a working e-brake again! same with my other car...i swapped out rear drums for disc and now the e-brake doesn't work :? so the drums are going back on. a good working e-brake is just too important on a car with a manual transmission.

i'd like a part # for the SS sliders too if you got one...

:werd:

i'm actually considering reverting back to the older '88-'93 style rear brakes on my car, just so i can finally have a working e-brake again! same with my other car...i swapped out rear drums for disc and now the e-brake doesn't work :? so the drums are going back on. a good working e-brake is just too important on a car with a manual transmission.

i'd like a part # for the SS sliders too if you got one...

if you put the car into gear you should be fine

anyways

i'd like to start using my parking brake too, but for a different reason.

should the parking brake system be lubricated? i didn't see any points to shoot grease into the cables or anything

Guest TurboSedan

nah i don't think any part of the e-brake system can be lubricated, except maybe the foot lever linkage inside the car. if it's not working properly you might check the equalizer thing (located under the driver's seat outside the car).

and

D

Thanks.

Lee

i picked up some Raybestos PG Plus sliders my last brake job, and they were non-magnetic...SS is non-magnetic, right? anyways, they wern't listed as stainless steel, and now my caliper boots are leaking grease, so i'd like to pick up some of those slides

If the sliders you got were significantly lighter than the steel, then it's alloy. They're usually anodized blue, but sometimes not. If it's just your boots that turned to shit, I tried the pro-stop brand of boots on my sister's car yesterday and they went in SO EASY. I've NEVER had a set of 4 boots actually stay in place when installing the slider. I was in shock. I don't have the part # offhand for the sliders, but parts stores list them as "problem solvers"

and

D

Thanks.

Lee

If the sliders you got were significantly lighter than the steel, then it's alloy. They're usually anodized blue, but sometimes not. If it's just your boots that turned to shit, I tried the pro-stop brand of boots on my sister's car yesterday and they went in SO EASY. I've NEVER had a set of 4 boots actually stay in place when installing the slider. I was in shock. I don't have the part # offhand for the sliders, but parts stores list them as "problem solvers"

see that's my problem. i can't get the boots to stay in :roll:

These stay in fine. Since I didn't have to struggle like 10 tries to get them to stay in, they didn't stretch any.

is prostop a pepboys brand?

I have yet to determine that. If it is, then someone else makes it, meaning they're probably rebadged and sold elsewhere too. For ex I know that the prostop ceramics arent the same as the QS, I compared them side by side and they have a different pad compound.

the boots I bought with the Raybestos name (though it may have been perfect circle, either way it was a red box) wouldnt stay in and stretched to hell. They were from autozone. In a pack of 8, I got 4 or 5 to stay in.