92 rear calipers

quinn

Just bought a 92 gp le , jacked it up to take a look at the rear brakes. The rotor hub is busted off of the disk, the caliper's screws are frozen and the pads are gone. Good thing the fronts are good or I wouldn't have made it home.

To the point: Is there any way to easily fix the calipers or will I have to invest in a new pair? Any leads on where to get used/rebuilt calipers?

Thanks.

Lee

You'll have to get new ones. I wouldnt trust rebuilt pre 94 calipers. If you want to get better rear brakes while fixing these, get all the stuff to put 94+ rear calipers on there. I think there's a write up on this site somewhere about it. Pretty simple if you've got everything

I'd try putting a new set of slides in your calipers first. I got two slides for about $15 for my CS, and they work perfectly. I had to remove the rear calipers to finally get the old slides out, but then I honed the bores out and put the new slides in. The only other issue would be to see if your e brake adjusters work, that's how you adjust the rear brakes slack.

If they recalled them, then there would be a different part to replace it with.

Not necessarily. There are a lot of ford recalls that are straight part replacement, same part numbers. I highly doubt the cradle bolts they replace on W bodies are different than the originals. The parts just don't last as long as the manufacturers intended, so they figure they'll extend the service on it.

Not necessarily. There are a lot of ford recalls that are straight part replacement, same part numbers. I highly doubt the cradle bolts they replace on W bodies are different than the originals. The parts just don't last as long as the manufacturers intended, so they figure they'll extend the service on it.

Actually I am almost sure the replacement cradle bolts are different. As in stronger, but I havent looked myself. For the ford replacements, even though they have the same part #, they aren't fixed for the reason they were recalled? I don't really get the point. it's like "this thing fails, so.....here it is again"

Actually I am almost sure the replacement cradle bolts are different. As in stronger, but I havent looked myself. For the ford replacements, even though they have the same part #, they aren't fixed for the reason they were recalled? I don't really get the point. it's like "this thing fails, so.....here it is again"

i don't know, but Phord is the master of automotive recalls....

Guest Anonymous

What I know is, there was a sort of voluntary recall in the mid 90's on the 92 brakes. Basically, you could take the car back to the dealership you bought it at and they would replace/upgrade the brakes (which i beleve were the rear ones) for no charge. I have the receipt somewhere from this.

Guest Anonymous

Well, whatever term it should be referred to is what it is... the point being that there is infact something wrong with the brakes/ calipers on 92 GP's and he should replace his instead of repairing. I think there is a similar problem with 94-5 rear seatbelts, that the "anchors could fracture in a crash", and at the time if you wanted them fixed, they'd fix it with no charge. I dont know what term you would define the practice as.

Some call it getting customers into dealers for a short time and trying to sell them a replacement car :roll:

i'm at dealers a lot, yet i've never been sold a car i didn't want :roll:

Some call it getting customers into dealers for a short time and trying to sell them a replacement car :roll:

What about that Colorado ? Most driving those are under duress, namely Time Warner workers :lol:

What about that Colorado ? Most driving those are under duress, namely Time Warner workers :lol:

:lol:

i actually wanted a Silverado, but i can't afford the payments, so i drove a Colorado, and i was impressed.

Well, whatever term it should be referred to is what it is... the point being that there is infact something wrong with the brakes/ calipers on 92 GP's and he should replace his instead of repairing. I think there is a similar problem with 94-5 rear seatbelts, that the "anchors could fracture in a crash", and at the time if you wanted them fixed, they'd fix it with no charge. I dont know what term you would define the practice as.

The seatbelt anchor issue was a safety recall that GM sent letters to owners. Same with the airbag module recall. I don't think safety recalls ever expire either.

I would hate to be the ONLY helpfull person, well aleast one of the helpfull people here. there were a few good responses, but no answers.

I have just finished a conversion from 88-93 to 94+ calipers in the rear. It works if you already have disc brakes in the rear. There is two things,

1) The parking brake cables do NOT work!!

and

2) the dust shield needs to be "adjusted" to accomidate the new larger rotor.

Oh, and the spare tire will now not fit, increased offset of caliper.....

PM me if you want details...

D

Just bought a 92 gp le , jacked it up to take a look at the rear brakes. The rotor hub is busted off of the disk, the caliper's screws are frozen and the pads are gone. Good thing the fronts are good or I wouldn't have made it home.

To the point: Is there any way to easily fix the calipers or will I have to invest in a new pair? Any leads on where to get used/rebuilt calipers?

Thanks.

Lee

I would hate to be the ONLY helpfull person, well aleast one of the helpfull people here. there were a few good responses, but no answers.

I have just finished a conversion from 88-93 to 94+ calipers in the rear. It works if you already have disc brakes in the rear. There is two things,

1) The parking brake cables do NOT work!!

and

2) the dust shield needs to be "adjusted" to accomidate the new larger rotor.

Oh, and the spare tire will now not fit, increased offset of caliper.....

PM me if you want details...

D

quinn wrote:

Thanks.

Lee

The dust shield was never on the 94+ so its ok if u don't use it, and the spare tire i never really knew about? How did u decide that one out?