Brakes got weak quick

JoroCorona

I was cruising along, going form light to light in town. The brakes were their usual perky selves, sometimes hitting ABS when I was really romping on her, but then all of a sudden they got crazy soft and the ABS wont kick on. It still stops alright, but you have to literally push the pedal to the floor. What did I do?

This is my Lumina, just for the record.

air cannot just GET IN there all of a sudden...if there is air in there, something is messed up...maybe the vacum booster, master cylinder...or a hole in the brake line :think: :shrug:

lost vacuum assist would make the pedal hard, not soft

yeah...if you lost assist altogether...but, maybe its getting too much vacum somehow!!?...i dunno...i do know that the booster went on my mom's old '89 grand am and the pedal was all mushy and went almost to the floor before it started to stop :yikes:

Nah, Its not pissin it anywhere, and if the mastercylender went, wouldn't I lose brake completely?

no. i've seen a Chevrolet Express van with a bad master cylinder, it would stop but the pedal would go to the floor, it was soft, and weak as hell.

those vans have a different brake system though, it's somehow tied into the power steering pump....

Nah, Its not pissin it anywhere, and if the mastercylender went, wouldn't I lose brake completely?

no. i've seen a Chevrolet Express van with a bad master cylinder, it would stop but the pedal would go to the floor, it was soft, and weak as hell.

those vans have a different brake system though, it's somehow tied into the power steering pump....

:werd: ...my dad's '78 ford f150 had a bad master cylinder....the pedal was spongey, but the truck stopped decent...try pumping the pedal, if it pumps up and gets hard, then it's more then likely a master cylinder....

Nope, never gets stronger even after pumping, thus makign me think its not the master cylender. Even if the seal went in the cylender, it would get stronger after a few pumps.

i'd guess that a brake line rusted through, but then you say its not leaking anything so that kinda throws that out the window.

check your callipers, look for the boots leaking or torn.