Steering Wheel Swap!?

terryk2003

ok...you guys prolly think i'm on crack right about now...BUT, is it possible to swap a regular steering wheel for one that has the radio controls!?...if so, how hard would it be!?...has anyone done it!?...what would be involved? :? ...keep in mind that i'll be using an aftermarket head unit, and i know there is something you can buy to make the steering wheel controls work with the aftermarket unit...since that is the case, there might not be as much involved? :shrug:

anywayz...you guys are probably thinkin that i shoulda just bought a car with a few more options to begin with!...well, you're RIGHT!!...cept, at the time, this was the only car i could find near me...i prolly got raped on the price too...and, ALSO, i didnt know of all the available options until months after i bought the car (like...right now :oops: )...

If it is like the GPs (most likely I'm assuming) you will also need the steering column (I think) and WILL need the signal light switch designed for steering wheel controls. Your best bet is to find an entire column at the junkyard...

As far as getting it to work with aftermarket deck, you will need something like this:

http://www.audiooutfitter.com/store/SWI-X.html

I'd like to get one for my car sometime, but I don't feel like wiring it up. :lol:

ok...is there any other reason i'd need the whole column except for the signal switch!? :? ...cause if not, couldn't i just get a new signal switch!?...and run the wires down through my current column!?...

So you're saying you don't have radio controls and you want to add them? If that's the case, you would need, in addition to the wheel, a new airbag clockspring (which piggybacks the radio controls onto it), turn signal switch (which has the radio controls plug into its harness) and I'd assume the module that interprets the button presses (I have no idea where this is located or what it looks like. I only know about what's inside the column, as I've had a few of them apart...) If you want to see what the column related parts look like, take a gander at my site:

http://www.users.qwest.net/~ace69/column/94upsignal.htm

Holy shit, I didn't realize you guys posted that many times before I got done typing my previous post!!! If what I said was a little out of context, now you know...

disco, what you said fits right in place! :thumbsup: ...anywayz...i guess i need to find out more about that MODULE, or...does that unit that c-bad posted a link to eliminate the module?...and, air bag clock spring :willynilly: ...i hate messing with airbags...i fear blowing one up :oops:

I guess searching a FSM (factory service manual) would be your best bet for finding and hooking up that module. There's a module under the dashes of both my Regal and Grand Prix (both with radio controls) that I have no idea what it's for. That might be the module in question :shrug: ...

Removing the airbag fromt the steering wheel is no big deal if you follow what I wrote on my signal switch write-up (I got that from my 92 LeSabre's FSM, and what the Hayne's manual says it identical.) As long as you don't short out the airbag wiring (or terminals) there's no way for it to discharge.

my main concern is actually the clock spring itself... :?...when i was going to the Vo-tech school, and i took auto body...we took an airbag course, if you move that clock spring, you're pretty much screwed...if its not in the right spot, you could turn the wheel and have the airbag blow...that would scare the HELL outta me! :cuss:

my main concern is actually the clock spring itself... :?...when i was going to the Vo-tech school, and i took auto body...we took an airbag course, if you move that clock spring, you're pretty much screwed...if its not in the right spot, you could turn the wheel and have the airbag blow...that would scare the HELL outta me! :cuss:

When I had mine out there really wasn't a way you can screw it up. Follow Disco's signal light switch replacement directions and you'll be fine...

I wanted to do this also but in reverse. I have a steering wheel with radio controls and I would like to get a smaller one without radio controls, because I bought an aftermarket deck so the buttons dont work and I hate the huge wheel.

Terry, I'm looking at a CS that is a mid level and I want to add the options you want also. I think the best bet would be to get a service manual, get the wiring harnesses, and try swapping the firewall connector, and going from there, but remeber-With time and money anything could be done.

I would talk to Brian P he's done some of that stuff on his older CS's. :wink:

When I had mine out there really wasn't a way you can screw it up. Follow Disco's signal light switch replacement directions and you'll be fine...

well, today at work i got to change a turn signal switch in a '95 Grand Prix... :lol: ...i didnt have any instructions, but i managed to change it without any problems at all...so, i guess my fear of airbags is over :wink: ...but, anywayz..i was kinda lookin at the column and i'm thinkin if the one in the cutlass is similar there is room to run more wires through it...so, i don't see any reason why i would have to change the column to do the steering wheel swap :? ...looks like just the clock spring, steering wheel, and the air bag!? ...and also that module or whatever that makes the bottons control the radio!?...which, does anyone know if that box to control an aftermarket head unit actually eliminates this!?...

also, if anyone has a service manual for a '96-'97 cutlass they wanna get rid of, of if anyone finds one on EBAY, pleeze let me know...i'm looking for one now!! :wink:

There is absolutely no reason to swap the whole column to add RSWC's to your car. Change the clockspring, steering wheel, and signal switch. Your airbag will work fine, no need to change it. The only car that would need a different airbag is the Regal because the RSWC buttons are attached to the airbag. And, no, hooking up the aftermarket controller will not eliminate the factory control unit. It only translates what the module sends to the stock radio.

There is a module on both my cars that have RSWC's that I'm certain is the module in question. Look under your dash and see if you see a module directly above where your left foot rests (you can see it without removing the under-dash panels.) It should almost hang down far enough for you to kick it once and a while. If you don't have it on your car, then I'm guessing that's the RSWC module. My wife's Lumina doesn't have RSWC's or the module either, but both my other cars have both RSWC's and the module. I'll try to get a pic of it posted later tonight...

so, my airbag will work!?...in the pictures i've been looking at the airbags look different...it almost seemed to me like the controls were almost integrated into the airbag part!?...hmmm...this swap may be easier then i think :twisted:

Okay, I guess I was wrong, here's a pic from the Cutty that's posted in the Auction section:

70_4.JPG

I thought the Cutty's RSWC controls were integrated into the spokes like the Pontiacs and Chevys are...

That sounds about right to me. Of course you're going to need the wiring harness for the module, but you don't need me to tell ya that :wink: ...

Now I'm starting to wonder if you really need a new wheel seeing as the RSWC controls are integrated into the airbag. I know for sure that the wheels are the same on the Buicks with and without RSWC's (as the controls are on the airbag...) Might want to check that out to be sure...

That sounds about right to me. Of course you're going to need the wiring harness for the module, but you don't need me to tell ya that :wink: ...

Now I'm starting to wonder if you really need a new wheel seeing as the RSWC controls are integrated into the airbag. I know for sure that the wheels are the same on the Buicks with and without RSWC's (as the controls are on the airbag...) Might want to check that out to be sure...

hmmm :? ...the more i look @ that, you might be right!?...does anyone else know!?...or is there any way i can find out for sure!?...ALSO, won't the wires from the clockspring go down to the control module!? :?

ALSO, won't the wires from the clockspring go down to the control module!? :?
I see you haven't read my write-up on turn signal switch replacement :lol: . The RSWC wires from the clockspring travel down the column and plug into a small harness who's wires run into the the signal switch's harness. I would imagine you'd have to add the corresponding 4 wires to the other side of the bulkhead connector (opposite the signal switch.) I'd assume that's where the wires then travel to the RSWC module. Maybe you could get by with wiring the clockspring wires directly to the RSWC module. I don't know if that can be done because I haven't looked at the back side of the bulkhead connector myself...

As far as FSM's go, scan eBay from time to time. Also you could try factoryautomanuals.com or Helm, Inc

...i guess i need to really look @ a car that has the steering wheel controls...it's be AWSOME if i could find one in a junk yard around here...but, i doubt thats gonna happen :roll: ...maybe i'll see someone with one @ a w-body meet :? ...

I don't know anything about steering wheel swaps, but I'm thinking that a wheel like mine would be simpler since it has no airbag?? Its the older style, but I actually like it better:

dash.jpg

I thought the RSWC setup on the 88-93's were radio-frequency and had a completely different setup. I'm sure they changed the design when GM added airbags since it was easier to piggy-back the RSWC controls to the airbag clockspring. In the pictured car, don't you have controls for the HVAC unit also? I think that's why they coined the acronym "RSWC" (for Redundant Steering Wheel Controls) instead of "SWRC" (Steering Wheel Radio Controls) because you could control more than just the radio on the steering wheel...

I don't know anything about steering wheel swaps, but I'm thinking that a wheel like mine would be simpler since it has no airbag?? Its the older style, but I actually like it better:

dash.jpg

I like your whole interior better...but that's just me :lol: