My STE performance took a crap

no1kicker

I recently replaced my alt and got code 33, low pressure in the intake. It makes sense, it seems like I have so much turbo lag since then (huge delay to build boost) I found the vacuum leak and tried to fix it, but instead I accendently ripped out the hose from under the intake plenium. Is there any way to reattach hoses without removing the plenium?

Guest TurboSedan

i would avoid the cheapo paper gaskets like the Niehoff brand. Fel-Pro makes nicer ones that are metal with rubber O-rings around the ports. i forgot the price but they shouldn't be over $20.

joshua

I liked the metal/rubber composites from FelPro, until a local buddy used them and cracked the end of his upper intake while trying to get them evenly-tightened. They are tricky to get secured evenly, even when I used the appropriate inch/pound torque wrench. I let my buddy use this torque wrench but as he progressed adding an even amount of torque until he reached the final value, still found other bolts were loosened, and every time he tighten the loose one to spec, found the others had loosened, to the point he snapped the end of one ear piece one the upper intake, the rubber allowed the upper intake to not be resting on the lower intake facing section while being tightened, and with this allowed leverage to strain the upper intake ends. I was lucky when I use them but found later upon disassembly, that the rubber had split and had broken out of its original shape, and was leaking (why I took the upper intake off). So my first impression was like others that this would be a slick gasket, having the rubber somewhat isolate the heat soak from the lower into from getting so much into the upper intake, but in the end found GM paper was the way to go, and GM’s paper version has been upgraded as compared to what came on the engines new. So live and learn from other’s mistake :oops:

Jeff M

If you are just removing the plenum the fp p/n is ms93610 $5.99 at my store. Its either paper or pressed felt and has locting tabs. The PVC hose

is available from gm but it only has one bend, you need two. It looks like two of these would work. If you want the p/n let me know. Dont forget to clamp the pvc hose. I blew mine off with a backfire through the intake. That's when I used the old one with a light spray of Hi Tack adhesive.

I am not a thermodymaics engineer so I don't have the foggiest idea what these gaskets do for heat transfer.

Guest Anonymous
The PVC hose

is available from gm but it only has one bend, you need two. It looks like two of these would work.

That PVC hose with one bend will work. Get a PVC valve that has the plastic 90* bend on it. That's how I did mine.

Guest Anonymous

Here's a pic. On a n/a 3.1 the hose goes the other way cause it doesn't connect to the plenum. It goes on a metal tube and the other end bends to meet the pcv. Just get a pcv with the elbow on it and put it on your pcv valve.

pcv.jpg

Thanks for all the replies, I just finished last night. I didn't cut the hoses yet, they're just a little longer than the ones before. Autozone only had those felpro ones, so I went to the Pontiac dealer to get a set. Feels real nice to have a fast car again. :D

BTW redturbo90: Thanks for the pic, that was exactly where my hose had snapped off of. Looks like it broke in the middle when I tried to reattach it. The new hoses are a little more flexible than the one that snapped.

Guest Anonymous

No problem Greg! Mine broke when I tried pulling the hose off the valve. I didn't know it had a clamp on it. :roll: The '89 GP I had didn't have clamps on it.

BTW, I'll be sending you an e-mail later.

I had read on here that the paper gaskets vs. the metal/rubber ones depended on the year of 3.1, paper being the older years. 88-91 I think. The statement was that the bolts were longer or the mating surfaces shaved shorter in the newer ones....something like that.

Guest TurboSedan

yep, plenums and plenum bolts are different from '90 to '91 on a 3.1 MPFI. the '91+ plenum has bigger bolt holes but smaller diameter bolts because the bolts have a rubber sleeve around them. the '88-'90 plenum has smaller bolt holes but bigger bolts and no sleeves. the gaskets themselves aren't different tho. i don't think they are anyway but i could be wrong...

joshua