addco sway bar

dohc v6

Alright, here's the pics I promised.

This is looking directly under the rear bumper on the driver's side:

sbds.jpg

And this one is over on the passenger side:

sbps.jpg

Guest TurboSedan

watch out - some W-bodies that didn't come with a factory rear sway bar don't have the sway bar inner bracket holes in the frame. my car didn't come with a sway bar, and only some of the holes are there. and even those holes aren't threaded so they don't do you any good anyway.

Addco does supply special inner hangers for cars that didn't come with a factory rear sway bar. if your car didn't come with a bar, make sure these brackets are included.

watch out - some W-bodies that didn't come with a factory rear sway bar don't have the sway bar inner bracket holes in the frame. my car didn't come with a sway bar, and only some of the holes are there. and even those holes aren't threaded so they don't do you any good anyway.

Addco does supply special inner hangers for cars that didn't come with a factory rear sway bar. if your car didn't come with a bar, make sure these brackets are included.

Yea I was washing my car today and was checking where the sway bar should go and i see a few holes?? I dont know if I can mount it or not. Ill have to take some pics soon.

Do you remember me saying this back on page 1 of this thread? :

You can install a stock W-Body swaybar, but you need to get some threaded inserts to put in the holes on the frame where the swaybar brackets are supposed to mount to.

The holes should all be there (at least they all are there on my Regal.) there are 3 holes per bracket, 2 on the side of the frame rail, one on the bottom. I was told you can pick up the threaded inserts at the stealership (I have yet to get mine, but as soon as I get some, I'll post the part #)

If you get a swaybar, you're going to have to get yourself some mounting bolts. I swiped mine from the boneyard already :D In fact, go hunt down a bar at the boneyard so you can see first hand how they're mounted...

Personally, Hokem, I think you should start small. Get a stock rear swaybar to start (your front one should be fine seeing as the 3800-equipped cars had one of the largest front bars stock.) Next, upgrade to the KYB GR2 struts on all 4 corners. After that, get yourself some stock Regal GS 16" wheels from the boneyard (that is, if you don't want to change the look of your car too drastically) and tires. I'm sure you'll notice a world of improvement just by upgrading those 4 things. If you're really ambitious, try to snag yourself some springs from a GTP. That'll give you a harsher ride, but it should improve the handling a tad...

Guest TurboSedan
I was told you can pick up the threaded inserts at the stealership (I have yet to get mine, but as soon as I get some, I'll post the part #)

please post that part # when you can! that would really help me get my Addco bar back in.

i posted a thread about this stuff awhile back, complete with detailed pics of the frame rail and brackets:

http://www.w-body.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14254&highlight=addco

I had another idea running through my head just now. I remember seeing some fasteners advertised in Car Craft a while back that were a combo of a threaded insert and a pop rivet. You drilled a hole in a panel (or whatever,) dropped in the "insert" and used a riveting-type tool to "mushroom" the end of the insert to get it to stay in place. I'm going to see if the local "Northern Tool and Equipment" store carries anything like this. I will most definitely report back the results of my search!

I had another idea running through my head just now. I remember seeing some fasteners advertised in Car Craft a while back that were a combo of a threaded insert and a pop rivet. You drilled a hole in a panel (or whatever,) dropped in the "insert" and used a riveting-type tool to "mushroom" the end of the insert to get it to stay in place. I'm going to see if the local "Northern Tool and Equipment" store carries anything like this. I will most definitely report back the results of my search!

Please do :D

we used those in the body shop for when we had to put screws in fiberglass stuff...their called NUTSERTS i think...i'm pretty sure you can get them at NAPA!... :wink:

we used those in the body shop for when we had to put screws in fiberglass stuff...their called NUTSERTS i think...i'm pretty sure you can get them at NAPA!... :wink:
Thanks for that info!

I'm thinking something like this would work just perfectly:

nutsert.jpg

Now I gotta do some searching of the local stores!!!

let us know. i could use those things for a ton of stuff

Its wierd sometimes when I take a corner fast it feels like my tires are caving in or something????

They probably are. That's the appeal of going to larger wheels and smaller sidewalls, the sidewalls will be a lot stiffer. It's not just all about looks!

Yea one of my sidewalls is kinda caved in but the others are fine. There is also some what I think wear marks on the sidewalls of all my tires???

HokemBokem your tires are soft. Put some air in them. Run them at 30 psi or even up to maximum pressure. Someone probably had them at 26 and they have lost air besides.

My Regal Limited handled great. There was room for improvement but the front stayed flat in corners. It had the 205/70/15's and no rear bar. Room for improvement but it was no "Grandpa car", why anyone has to use those terms is beyond me anyhow. I ran my tires at maximum pressure and had and still do have one awsome country road drive to work everyday. 32 miles each way, all corners and hills. I was so impressed with the handling of W body compared to other larger Domestics. I miss that car so bad and am so pissed that I traded it. It fit like a glove and only needed a few things tightened up. I will have me a 3800 GS one day. Or built up a Limited like I planed with that one. Darn knee jerk reactions :cry:

Work on upgrades but start with a good tire pressure with what you have now.

Its wierd sometimes when I take a corner fast it feels like my tires are caving in or something????

They probably are. That's the appeal of going to larger wheels and smaller sidewalls, the sidewalls will be a lot stiffer. It's not just all about looks!

Yea one of my sidewalls is kinda caved in but the others are fine. There is also some what I think wear marks on the sidewalls of all my tires???

HokemBokem your tires are soft. Put some air in them. Run them at 30 psi or even up to maximum pressure. Someone probably had them at 26 and they have lost air besides.

My Regal Limited handled great. There was room for improvement but the front stayed flat in corners. It had the 205/70/15's and no rear bar. Room for improvement but it was no "Grandpa car", why anyone has to use those terms is beyond me anyhow. I ran my tires at maximum pressure and had and still do have one awsome country road drive to work everyday. 32 miles each way, all corners and hills. I was so impressed with the handling of W body compared to other larger Domestics. I miss that car so bad and am so pissed that I traded it. It fit like a glove and only needed a few things tightened up. I will have me a 3800 GS one day. Or built up a Limited like I planed with that one. Darn knee jerk reactions :cry:

My tires max psi is 35 and there all at 33. I think im going to go hunting for a rear sway bar at a junkyard here in the next few weeks.

I'm thinking something like this would work just perfectly:

nutsert.jpg

Now I gotta do some searching of the local stores!!!

ya know...i'm not quite sure those are gonna be strong enough for a swaybar!?... :? ...we used em to hold lil shit...but, i'm thinkin you'd want something a bit heavier for that...i'm not really sure though...hmm :roll:

ya know...i'm not quite sure those are gonna be strong enough for a swaybar!?... :? ...we used em to hold lil shit...but, i'm thinkin you'd want something a bit heavier for that...i'm not really sure though...hmm :roll:

:withstupid:

Those things don't look near strong enough to me...

:withstupid:

Those things don't look near strong enough to me...

Do you think they have ones that are stronger? That idea is perfect its just there so small.

My tires max psi is 35 and there all at 33. I think im going to go hunting for a rear sway bar at a junkyard here in the next few weeks.

OK Sorry , you are pushing them hard to get them to roll over then. The way you described some of this sounded like soft tires. I've never gotten sidewall wear at high pressures. A lower profile or better tire is your answer then. Sounds like those tires wount let you maximize the suspension you already have. How would you rate the condition of your struts ? If you are soft in front and have body roll in the front from tired struts or springs a rear sway bar could throw your suspension out of proportion. Theres alot to suspension setup but be darn if I can explain it. I understand it but not like the pros. Basically the rear cant be over built compared to the front. The front comes first.