addco sway bar

dohc v6

Its wierd sometimes when I take a corner fast it feels like my tires are caving in or something????

They probably are. That's the appeal of going to larger wheels and smaller sidewalls, the sidewalls will be a lot stiffer. It's not just all about looks!

Yes, it's supposed to reduce body roll in cornering.

Its wierd sometimes when I take a corner fast it feels like my tires are caving in or something????

FWIW, the Regal Custom didn't have a swaybar installed. You can install a stock W-Body swaybar, but you need to get some threaded inserts to put in the holes on the frame where the swaybar brackets are supposed to mount to.

I bought a used swaybar for my Regal, but haven't installed it yet (still have to go to the dealer to get the threaded inserts.) In the works (maybe next spring- I decided to buy a 3rd car and have to pay off my credit card first) are KYB struts, Suspension Techinques front springs, the rear swaybar, and some Cutty 5-spoke 16's. I hope this improves the handling of my Regal greatly.

It's like night and day between my GP and Regal. The GP has slightly stiffer springs, a stock swaybar, and 16's. I notice no "body lean" in the GP, and with the quicker ratio steering gear, it corners waaaaaaaaay better than the Regal Custom does.

Just remember, your Regal Custom was designed to be a "Grandpa Car" and rides and handles as such. Luckily, you can nab parts from other W-Bodies to make it handle better :D ...

Yes, it's supposed to reduce body roll in cornering.

FWIW, the Regal Custom didn't have a swaybar installed. You can install a stock W-Body swaybar, but you need to get some threaded inserts to put in the holes on the frame where the swaybar brackets are supposed to mount to.

I bought a used swaybar for my Regal, but haven't installed it yet (still have to go to the dealer to get the threaded inserts.) In the works (maybe next spring- I decided to buy a 3rd car and have to pay off my credit card first) are KYB struts, Suspension Techinques front springs, the rear swaybar, and some Cutty 5-spoke 16's. I hope this improves the handling of my Regal greatly.

It's like night and day between my GP and Regal. The GP has slightly stiffer springs, a stock swaybar, and 16's. I notice no "body lean" in the GP, and with the quicker ratio steering gear, it corners waaaaaaaaay better than the Regal Custom does.

Just remember, your Regal Custom was designed to be a "Grandpa Car" and rides and handles as such. Luckily, you can nab parts from other W-Bodies to make it handle better :D ...

Allright good. But is that normal that the tires feel so wierd under heavy cornering? Once I pay off my mom for the brake job and tires I will start saving for a sway bar. How much do these usually go for?

Allright good. But is that normal that the tires feel so wierd under heavy cornering? Once I pay off my mom for the brake job and tires I will start saving for a sway bar. How much do these usually go for?
Yep, totally normal with the Regal Custom. Like I said earlier, it's set up more for a comfy ride than for cornering prowess. Not only that, but you have 70 Series 15" tires on it, and those are also not so hot for cornering. If you like the look of your 15 wheels, then get a set of 16" Gran Sport wheels, since they are very similar.

I picked up my "stock" swaybar from Davis for $20 shipped. It's a bit rusty and I need to clean it up before I install it, but shit you can't beat that price!

Here's a pic of it:

swaybar.jpg

I'd say try getting one from the boneyard, but you would need to break the strut nuckle bolts loose and that's best left for air tools. Unless maybe you bring a huge breaker bar and a BFH (big fuckin' hammer) to brake the nuts loose and drive out the bolts, Ida know. If you want a great deal, ask Davis if he has any more for sale. I think he said he had 2 when I bought mine from him...

Is it hard to install? Do I need any special tools and where does it go?
I'll snap a pic of my GP's swaybar for ya tomorrow morning. Gotta leave for work right now, no time to do it today.

The end brackets bolt up to your strut nuckle bolts and the inner brackets bolt up to the frame rails. There are holes already drilled in the frame rails, but you need to get some threaded inserts to drop into the holes so you can properly bolt up the brackets...

Is it hard to install? Do I need any special tools and where does it go?
I'll snap a pic of my GP's swaybar for ya tomorrow morning. Gotta leave for work right now, no time to do it today.

The end brackets bolt up to your strut nuckle bolts and the inner brackets bolt up to the frame rails. There are holes already drilled in the frame rails, but you need to get some threaded inserts to drop into the holes so you can properly bolt up the brackets...

Allright well ill be waiting for that pic tommorow. Would this be a noticable improvement?

your regal has a sway bar in the front we are talking about the rear bar, your regal did not come with a rear sway bar. It will definitely help your handling, you will be surprised

Not exactly. It connects both sides of the suspension together. In a tight turn, for example, the outside wheel gets pushed up into the wheel well. The sway bar will try to even this out by pushing down on the outside wheel while pulling up on the inside wheel.

Not exactly. It connects both sides of the suspension together. In a tight turn, for example, the outside wheel gets pushed up into the wheel well. The sway bar will try to even this out by pushing down on the outside wheel while pulling up on the inside wheel.

Oh yea I see what your saying. I really want to get one of these now. And arnt all sway bars different? How do I know which ones will fit?

They probably are. That's the appeal of going to larger wheels and smaller sidewalls, the sidewalls will be a lot stiffer. It's not just all about looks!

Yea one of my sidewalls is kinda caved in but the others are fine. There is also some what I think wear marks on the sidewalls of all my tires???

I think the first-gen W-body factory sway bars are all the same. The big Addco bar is the same part # for all first-gen W's.

So I just go to the dealership with that number or what? Also do you know the price of one of these?

The Addco bar? You don't get 'em from the dealer, you get them from any place that sells Addco parts.

I don't know where, but long time ago I bought mine from carparts.com back before JC Whitney bought them out.