Dyno predictions **UPDATE: results & video**

skalor

airhead dave.. LOL...

actually, I'm not in CO anymore, I'm out in MN now. LOL

I'm still a fan of starting as low in the RPM range as possable for so many reason too, like to see where the actual power starts commin' in and how the A/F curve is effected, after all, you don't start your drag race from 40ish MPH at 3500 RPM's do ya?

I didn't realize the TGP trani's were closest to 1:1 in 3rd gear, if that's the case, then 3rd gear is where you need to be and not 4th gear (4th in my 'stang is 1:1, but because of my rear-end gears (3.45) I gotta run in 3rd to get a proper reading, so perhaps lower gears would get a better more accurate reading anyhow)

I think those are impressive wheel-horsepower numbers none the less.

--Dave.

Silly, I said your name "was" Colorado but you were "local" now, local since I am in Eden Prairie MN :lol: .

Yes we got a 1:1 in 3rd gear, with a 3:33 overall drive ratio. This long ass intake runner engine makes a lot of torque, GM's idea was back in 1986 to design a little V6 that could, and it does 8) . With this intake design and the smallish turbo we make a ton of torque but at lower rpms, that is why I try to get other owners away from thinking we got some VTEC engine that needs to be strangle rev'd :) Once you upgrade the turbo then this will be a nice compliment with engine torque and turbo hp!!!....but limited some by the heads that don't flow a ton stock.

Yea not bad numbers for a 15 year old FWD with no mods that we have been told about :lol:

Jeff M

Ok, for anyone interested I did some prep before going to the dyno. I cleaned/oiled all 3 K&N filters(valve cover breather, BOV filter, engine filter). I also changed the oil on Sat. so it had fresh Castrol GTX in with an AC filter. The plugs are the good non-platinum #8s and are about 4 months old. I also put on Taylor Spiropro wires at the same time I did the plugs.

I decided to drive the TGP to work today to see if code 43 showed up again, and sure enough it did. So, I changed the memcal and took it for about an hour drive and it hasn't shown up yet so that good.

Ok, for anyone interested I did some prep before going to the dyno. I cleaned/oiled all 3 K&N filters(valve cover breather, BOV filter, engine filter). I also changed the oil on Sat. so it had fresh Castrol GTX in with an AC filter. The plugs are the good non-platinum #8s and are about 4 months old. I also put on Taylor Spiropro wires at the same time I did the plugs.

I decided to drive the TGP to work today to see if code 43 showed up again, and sure enough it did. So, I changed the memcal and took it for about an hour drive and it hasn't shown up yet so that good.

"Interested" :?: All sounds real good :D, and important to know all this if you are asking for some ideas or help!!! Hard to get a lot of owners following such attention to details as you did getting ready for the run, and not waiting to get at the problem much later 8) . I remember driving my new TGP back in 1990, just changed the oil to Mobil 1 and hit the new highway north of my house, a highway made toooooo good, my old 72 Cutty could take the turns at 110 with no problem, and had a 3 mile long straight-away with no dips or nothing, came down the hill in my TGP, saw no cars all the way down the 3 mile flat road so hell yea, floored it till it hit 130 then slightly off the pedal to get forth, slowly ease the throttle back down and saw 151 before I slowed coming up on traffic which I did not want to risk passing at even 85 mph! I could FEEL the car was faster with the new oil and have felt this again so I know new oil can make a difference! That was about all it would do though there was a little left, compared to a local TGP owner here who with 125k miles broke 160mph with no problem, and have raced him with the same setups (chip etc) on our cars and he always smokes me all over the place, then another TGP owner here that was slower than both of us with the same setup, big variations with just these 3 TGPs (mine had 65k and the slower one had 100k, all healthy motors).

The faster TGP came to me with a Code 43 once, found the 7 degrees SA taking off I mentioned before, replaced his MEMCAL, then ECM then Knock Sensor to no avail, then probed and checked the Knock Sensor Wires, all good so ran a twisted pair shielded conductor grounding one end of the shield to the ECM body, problem solved since 3 years ago!? In other words if your problem reappears, you now have what I took a few hours to learn all here in 1 reading :)

Jeff M

Freaking awsome! Should have told that guy "SHHHH..not while it's dynoing."... :lol: Good numbers..so..comeon...show us the graph!

I know that some dynos allow 3pulls for such and such..but howcome you only have one...or did you have other pulls?..or only payed low price for one?...I would love to see some back to back pulls..anyone?..hehe.

So for a 5spd..this is 15% ..right? Dam I could hear the turbo spinning its ass off!

I'd disconnect the knock sensor and install a dummy sensor on there to see full power. I wonder if you can get more power at 9 psi than 12psi..? :!:

Yeah, I would expect more. I've seen 3.1's running 8 psi get 250ish wheel ft lbs and 200 wheel HP. Should see more than that. That is the reason you dyno, etc too work out any bugs you have, etc, etc.

The faster TGP came to me with a Code 43 once, found the 7 degrees SA taking off I mentioned before, replaced his MEMCAL, then ECM then Knock Sensor to no avail, then probed and checked the Knock Sensor Wires, all good so ran a twisted pair shielded conductor grounding one end of the shield to the ECM body, problem solved since 3 years ago!? In other words if your problem reappears, you now have what I took a few hours to learn all here in 1 reading :)

Jeff M

Not trying to hijack the thread...but the stock wiring for the knock sensor...it is or is not sheilded? If so...Luke you need to get yours fixed as Jeff stated... :oops:

Ain’t no highjack here :lol: , so not knocking your suggestion, made me check and the Knock Wire stock is just a single wire no shielding, but the Crank Sensor stock is a Twisted Pair with a Shield!

Jeff M

It would make me laugh if my old TGP with the 5-speed had 170 HP coming out of it and it walked all over Aaron the way it did!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Really? Cuz I have a timeslip showing a half second and 5mph difference between my car and your old TGP....Bad driver bad driver blah blah blah. But a half second and 5mph??? That's a bigger difference than a "bad driver." And how hard is it to launch that car? He couldn't have f'ed it up THAT bad :wink:

LOL excuses excuses. I thought a timeslip would quiet you, but nooooo. lol we'll see what your new 4 door does to me come December.... :oops:

It would make me laugh if my old TGP with the 5-speed had 170 HP coming out of it and it walked all over Aaron the way it did!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Really? Cuz I have a timeslip showing a half second and 5mph difference between my car and your old TGP....Bad driver bad driver blah blah blah. But a half second and 5mph??? That's a bigger difference than a "bad driver." And how hard is it to launch that car? He couldn't have f'ed it up THAT bad :wink:

LOL excuses excuses. I thought a timeslip would quiet you, but nooooo. lol we'll see what your new 4 door does to me come December.... :oops:

Now now..get your manties out of a bunch!! :wink: That is why I was asking Jeff if the knock sensor could be an issue. I had cut the wire to the knock sensor and just spliced it back together not knowing what it was when I was doing the 5-speed conversion. I was concerned that maybe this was causing the lower performance of Luke's TGP at levels closer to sea-level. That car should have walked your Z34 in the configuration it was in when you 1/4 miled each either with a good or a bad driver. At this altitude the car is much less likely to knock under full boost...but drop just 2000' and it will knock like mad if good high octane gas isn't in it.

No offense to your car...and no excuses...but when we did the rolling start you had me in between gears. It was too fast for first and too slow for second, but I held you off with a snails pace faster... 8)

Plus, you'd be surprised what getting rid of the stock intake setup did. Even with the filter in the end behind the cover, it was still really restrictive. The K&N Cone really opened the car up to what it should be performing like, even though it still can't turn a decent time at the track.

I haven't found the secret to launching the car yet, mainly because it's only been to the track twice since I've owned it, and I don't race it around town (it lives in the garage anyway).

Guest TurboSedan

Luke - practice WILL help. i beat the crap out of my Cutlass one night trying to learn how to launch it and the clutch felt soooo much better after that! i think in my case i had finally broke the clutch in or something, because the car was so much easier to launch from that day on. sure the car was NA, but after i got a good intimate feeling of the clutch and shifter, i could still beat most cars across the intersection.

i know what you're saying though, i can't launch my other (boosted) car for shit! try to practice by racing with someone you know beside you, have them honk 3 times and GO! on the 3rd honk. or when you come up to a stoplight by yourself with noone around just keep an eye on the perpendicular stoplight as if it were a tree. it's not like you have to go faster than the 30mph speed limit :) practice practice and them come back to Colorado and show Aaron what a TGP will do! i have no doubts your car could take Aaron's Z34.

I'll probably give him a good run up in the mountains. You all just need to come down here to 1900 feet above sea level and hit up a track, then we could have some fun. :D 8)

Luke, what kind of 60' were you running?? I've only managed a best of a 2.398 the only time I've been to the track with the 5 speed. I was getting consistent low 2.2s when it was auto, with a 2.1 once that lead to my best of a 14.6 when it was auto. It's a general rule of thumb that every .1 you lose in the 60' time equals about .2 in the 1/4 mile time. I'm practicing my launching in preparation for friday as I want to see this car in the 14s again.

Anyways, here's a scan of my dyno graph. It took me so long because I just reformatted my computer and I couldn't find my scanner software. :oops:

http://www.gmv6.org/images/TGPdyno2.jpg

My best was a 2.3 in MO, but I also have run a 2.3 here in CO since then.

It will probably be opposite if we raced high altitude now, like me pulling you like you pulled me originally. The headers and new motor helped a bit if I may say so....You were pulling faster than a snails pace. Even my insane topend couldn't offset your power advantage. You were making more power, and therefore pulling me. I remember when in MO, right before we ran, he put in high octane. He was like "OH SHIT!!!" It wouldn't hold the tires through 1st with the high octane. So TGPilot, you are probly right.

Damn aaron that's a bad 60'!

I tell him that all the time...but i don't think you wanna hear his response. He gets really pissed and it comes out as something along the lines of "its not capable with this engine/tranny/suspension combo to pull better 60's than that, and he can drive his car better than anyone else in the world.

Now, about the dyno...that somewhat suprises my. My STE with just a K&N filter and removed cat pulled 182.2whp on just 6psi boost. At the same time my dads TGP coupe pulled 189whp with the same stuff as mine except a Chip & 160 T-stat as well. So they do vary a bit, but that definately seems low.

Shawn

Well, I didn't make it to the track this weekend. Instead I decided it would be fun to have another kidney stone. That's makes 3 kidney stones so far, and I'm only 24!!! :roll: I was way to medicated over the weekend to race. I'm hoping to race either this Sunday or the following. I'll keep everyone updated when the results are in. 8)