Transmission / chip question

eclipse5302

Ok here's what I am doing.

I've got an automatic transmission for a 1992 DOHC Cutlass. I'm going to put it in to a 1993 Cutlass with a 3.1. They are both 4T60-E transmissions, with the only difference (I can tell so far) being the final drive ratio. Do I have to make any chip changes, or will this transmission just bolt in and run without any problems? I was looking at a .bin for a 91 DOHC with an auto, and there is no place in the chip to specify the final drive ratio. Does anyone have any ideas? Anyone do this before?

Jason

Basic reasoning would assure me that they would bolt up together... but the end result of the final drive is that you'll do more or less RPM's in most of your gears and overdrive. The final drive(s) are in the tranny itself. Shawn would know for sure, but thats the only thing you'll run into: RPM difference. And since the tranny is mechanical, I don't think you'll need a re-programed chip.

- RedFox340

Actually, it's an electronic transmission. I realize the rpms in the gears would be different, but I was thinking about the speedo being wrong, the car not shifting correctly, you know...stuff like that. I hope Vegeta (ben) and shawn see this post..I know those two know alot about this stubject.

Thanks for the help.

Jason

Does the 93 have the 4T60-E already? I am 99% sure it does but wanna make sure (i know the 93 GP did). You could probably just copy the entire tranny code and speedo code from a DOHC chip onto the 93 3.1 chpi and all would be fine. I can do a compare of the files first though to make sure. Oh...well the shift points would stay from teh 3.1:P No need to try some 6500 RPM shifts on a 3.1:P

Yea, 6500 shift on a 3.1 might be a little scary. Not like the 3.1 shifts too late already (wayyy past the power peak). I know for sure the trans is a 4T60-E, I saw it myself.

But you're saying that I WILL have to modify code to make this work?

So I've got some expierence on chip modifing, but what do you mean by combining the code? Do you have a 1993 3.1 bin is can play with? I've already got the 3.4 bin.

Thanks Ben

Jason

Vegeta,

My Cutlass has the 4T60-E (RPO: M13) in it... but wouldn't the VSS put out the same signal than in a 3.1L? I thought you could just swap right over... but that doesn't seem to be the case. Huh, more to learn! :(

- RedFox340

The trans is electronic, its the trans that I have blown up three times so far. it will handle the power of the 3.1 with no problem but you would also need the wiring harness. just replaced the trans right before x-mas[[/img]