New car

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Here are a couple pics of the car I bought today. It needs a head gasket. I'm thinking I might get the heads shaved while they're off the car. Good idea or not? I'm not doing it for performance reasons, just want a good mating surface when it all goes back together. I almost forgot, I paid $200 for it.

cutty1.jpg

cutty2.jpg

Guest Anonymous

The cutty is home and clean. I had to scrub it with a brush to get the outside clean. The interior is almost all cleaned, just have to steamclean the carpet. I'll take interior shots when it's all clean. And engine shots as I have just got done degreasing it in prep. for tearing it apart.

cars1.jpg

cars2.jpg

Guest Anonymous

The car has 141,000 ticks on the clock. I started tearing it down this evening and I found some pretty shitty mechanic work. When I went to take the alt. off it had only one bolt in it. It was the one that connects to the stabilizer bar and the bar was broken also. The fuel pressure reg. was pushed onto the fuel feed line but the nut on the bottom was just hanging on the fuel line. The fuel rail was not bolted down and the injectors were about halfway out of the intake. After pulling the fuel rail out I noticed the old o-rings were put back in by whoever worked on this car before. They didn't clean anything. They pushed grease and dirt down in with the injectors. Half of the injectors were completely plugged up. There were a few other things but I think you guys get the idea. I've got one more thing to pull off and then I'll lift the intake out to see if it was that gasket that went. I'll keep you guys updated.

Guest Anonymous

patgizz, does it have power antenna or not?

I've got the lower intake out and it doesn't look like that gasket is blown. Although someone had it apart once and they reused the original gasket and used orange silicone on the ends. After I seen the coolant laying in one of the intake ports of the head I figured I better pull the heads off anyway. I'm thinking that's where the head gasket blew. This was easier than I thought it would be.

Is $25 a head a good price to check for cracks, see if they are warped and to have them machined?

• 2 years later...