V-8 swap

Sam96SL

Sam,

Use the SEARCH function on this forum for "ASG V8 Stage II" topic... it'll bring you somewhat up to speed on where projects are going... Now, it's based on the 5.0 liter Cadillac motor in the early 90's Seville / Devilles, but haven't heard anything about a Northstar in a W-Body. I have seen the Northstar shoved into a Fiero frame though... extremely slick! :shock:

- RedFox340

I have heard something about a Northstar V8 shuved into a W-body. It was a long time ago, so don't ask me where I heard it from. I do know that it did require A LOT of fender and/or firewall work. But, if you could figure out how to such an awesome swap, the Jan '03 Hot Rod Magazine has an entire article devoted to Northstar performance. They got like 500 or 600 HP out of one, some guy specializes in it or something. Anyway, just thought you would like to know. I saw a chevy 350 in a RX-7 one time, that was pretty cool.

Actually it was not an Aurora V8, it was a Northstar (4.6L displacement).

Northstar can be made to fit in a gen 2 W-body with little to no structural modifications.

Northstar will NOT fit a gen 1 W-body without a LOT of structural modifications (firewall and subframe primarily).

ok, check this out. a guy that lives a little up the road from me took a 94 cutlass and stuffed a 327 in it. the drive train was from an early 90's monte. i'm not enitrely sure how he did it, but i know it took him about three years to do it all. i'll see what i can do about pictures, maybe get a digital camera.

• 2 weeks later...

The newer GP can have a north star put in it and there is a company looking for people interested.

The only advantages to a fwd v8 is:

HP range 600hp, smog legal at higher hp range400-470, and the prestige.

There are no disadvantages.

Ty

I don't think working on it will be any more difficult than the 3.4 DOHC that you already have.

However, like he said, it only fits into the gen 2 W-bodies.

There are many problems trying to fit one into a gen 1 W-body.

The maintenance will be different and if you take the stock 300hp up to the 400-470hp range then you are going to have to deal with the more intense maintenance required of a performance engine. Harder? Probably not. I believe all options have there merit and can be made to be fun and performance oriented. The 3.4 are worth doing. No problem there, but the point of diminishing return comes sooner with a 6 than a 8 and then the cost increases exponentially as you take that v6 up to 470 let alone 600hp.

So as great as other engine options are the cost is greater to take a v6 to the performance levels of lets say 600hp. Also the 4t65-e will not take 600hp and associated torque without being redesigned extensively. I believe eventually intense racing will do this and then you can push the 4.6l into the 800hp range. lol

The fact is the 4.6l Engine can be made to put out 1200hp. The only limiting factor it the transaxle and the fact the car will roll up like a sardine can top with that kind of hp and torque.

Ty

• 4 weeks later...

I have seen a full drag but still unibody 90 olds cutlass supreme... i was in el cajon ,california in a v8 performance shop ...I went over looking for some stuff for my cuda .... and like HOLY Cr@P here it this cutlass with a freaken 571 blower coming out the hood..... and the body is absolutly stock looking.... BUT! it has been converted to rear wheel drive... I asked how they did it and he told me that the used the rear end out of a certaing year corvette... that it had a fiberglass tranverse leaf spring like the olds and they didnt have to do much to it( I wonder what not to much really was) on top of all this they had a time slip for 8.5 seconds in the 1/4... this thing was for sale too.... a measly $85,000 said it cost them 122K to build and 9 months to put togeather and it even came with the 1st edition copies of some hot rod mags it was featured in..... the only thing that wasn't stock looking was from the rear end... aside from the wheely bar.... there was almost no room between the tires.... pop the trunk... no space left... these monsters were tubbed in so from the side it would look stock and from the back there was no side swell. if any one else has seen this car or heard of it let me know.... I think it was in a 1991 issue of car craft

:lol:

Such glowing praise was an abject about-face for a body style that had been universally mocked since its introduction in 1991. So hideous and bulbous was the re-skin of the venerable Caprice Classic that black and white police versions were quickly dubbed Shamu. They were that god-awful.

The 91-92 Caprice is my dream car, and that's no joke!

I don't know whether it's a good thing, or a bad thing, that I have opposite taste of everyone else in the world.

• 2 weeks later...

poor shawn. i sold my 91 caprice to get the lumina. sometimes i kick myself for it. was a fun car to drive, had the 9C1 springs and sway bars, SS grille, black police rims, police push bars, and a few big whip antennas on the trunk, people used to get right the hell out of my way

hey domestic performance guy, about how much are we looking at for the 4.6l and ls1 swap respectively? I know the gains from the 4.6 but wat about the ls1, when you say they will do either, wat are we looking at in terms of installation, shipping (i live in the tip of texas), and final cost?

If you want it you can have it. Just let me know.

Domestic performance is looking for people interested in this kind of swap either 4.6l or ls1 if you want. 4.6l is cheaper but LS1 is just as easy to do.

Ty

You mean into a W-body?

Have you actually DONE one of these?

red, the big block is dwarfed by the size of the induction system, that's not gonna fit in anything that the engine is in front of you ;)

i could put in my camaro if i wanted the thing stickin a foot above the roof, and need a periscope to see.