wheel stud length???

THe_DeTAiL3R

Alright so as some of you may remember I had my front wheels balanced (one of them replaced) at Walmart today.. anyways the guy says my wheel studs are too small (on the whole car). I have had 2 hubs replaced (same sized studs as before) and the others also have the same size so they are all the same that was originally on the car. The nut goes on finger tight in about 4-5 turns, and when you look at the 'inside' of the lugnut its grabbing all the thread at the end of the wheelstuds. I have crosslace wheels if that makes any difference.

I've had at least 2 mechanics take the wheels off (one for a pre-safety inspection) and my regular mechanic who took off the wheels a bunch of times for other stuff so I'm sure that if there was a problem with the length being unsafe that they would have told me.

Seems safe to me, but I just want to get a 3rd(?) opinion.. :?:

Thats where I got mine was autozone. If i remember correctly, he said most cars use the same lugs, so it's probably nothing to worry about.

Hmm. They use the same type lugs, but I know for my alloy wheels, they have this really long lug that has to be used, otherwise the sides of the lug hole make it impossible for a lug wrench to grip the sides of the lugnut.

This is why I have a lugnut stuck down in the inside of one of my lug holes on my left front wheel/hub. When it came off the right side, taking three studs with it (only had three lugs on it) it wallowed out a hole in the wheel itself. Combine that with me using the wrong size lug, and stripping it... I'm gonna have to get the stud torched out. Lucky I haven't gotten a flat yet. Gotta love Fix-A-Flat whenever I do...

Okay good. I never really thought it was a problem and have no problems installing the wheels (such as GP1138 was describing). You can only believe so much from a WALMART mechanic (or whatever you want to call him.. lol).