Rear Drums

Bruticus

Well after 2 months out of commision well almost 2 months the Lumina is back in action with a new tranny. Figured i change the Rear Drum shoes is it a easy task ? Looking for some help here from what my old man says its a pain in the ass to do.

He's right! Rear drums are a royal pain in the arse to change. Especially when the drums are rusted to the hubs. When we had our Cavalier, I never changed the pads on the rear drums until the car hit 190K (that's when the e-brake quit holding the car, the pads lasted that damn long) and by then the drums were rusted solid, so I took it to a local shop and paid like $80 to have the drums and pads replaced.

I changed drums and pads on one of my old Grand Ams myself and it was a major headache not only getting everything back together properly, but also getting the adjusters set properly (I remember having to back those suckers off to almost nothing 'cause the wheels were practically locked up when I put everything back together :lol: ...)

I say if you don't have the stomach to do it, then bite the bullet and take it somewhere to have it done...

they're not bad

took me 2 hours replace everything, including wheel cylinders, on my buddy's 91 GTI

i'd rather work on rear drums over POS first gen rear disk brakes.

Your insane. Our discs are easy as hell to work on, you can change pads and rotors in 20 minutes.

No shit..

I'd rather work on a w-body setup any day of the week than drums.... I've changed more than enough of thiose torter devices to know they are a giant pain in the arse....

Your insane. Our discs are easy as hell to work on, you can change pads and rotors in 20 minutes.

No shit..

I'd rather work on a w-body setup any day of the week than drums.... I've changed more than enough of thiose torter devices to know they are a giant pain in the arse....

i hate craking that fucking piston back in. it's a pta. those slider boots suck ass too. it takes multiple tries to get them to seal.

sorry if this is an old thread, just noticed i didn't reply

Just rent the caliper tool from autozone or something. Its easy as pie.

i've used both. neither impress me.

Dude, I've met you in person and you're a real cool guy, but your constant complaining about anything relating to FWD technology is a bit grating.

I'm not trying to be a dick, it's just getting tedious.

Just rent the caliper tool from autozone or something. Its easy as pie.

i've used both. neither impress me.

Dude, I've met you in person and you're a real cool guy, but your constant complaining about anything relating to FWD technology is a bit grating.

I'm not trying to be a dick, it's just getting tedious.

RWD cars have rear disc brakes too......

didn't say anything about FWD here.....

my car, which happens to be FWD, also happens to be the only car i've ever worked on rear disc brakes. all the other rear brakes i've worked on have been drums.