LarryMartin830

Yes. you should have four wheel disk brakes. Remember, the back calipers require a tool to lower the pistons in order to put hte new shoes on them.

It looks like this and it will have an end that fits into the slots on the caliper piston.

5743899.jpg

Yes. you should have four wheel disk brakes. Remember, the back calipers require a tool to lower the pistons in order to put hte new shoes on them.

It looks like this and it will have an end that fits into the slots on the caliper piston.

5743899.jpg

You actually have that tool?

Just get a pair of pliers. Theres a little knob that you can turn, it will compress the pistion. That, or a c-clamp does wonders also.

Guest TurboSedan

Just get a pair of pliers.

i used a pair of needle nose pliers. i didn't know about the special tool until after i did my rear brakes. my Chilton manual actually shows a picture of someone using a needle nose pliers to compress the piston, so i did the same and it works good, albeit slow. you have to be careful so you don't slip and scratch the face of the piston with the pliers. i've never used the tool, but i'll probably try it next time i get new rear pads....heck it's probably only like $5 from Checker.

Just get a pair of pliers.

i used a pair of needle nose pliers. i didn't know about the special tool until after i did my rear brakes. my Chilton manual actually shows a picture of someone using a needle nose pliers to compress the piston, so i did the same and it works good, albeit slow. you have to be careful so you don't slip and scratch the face of the piston with the pliers. i've never used the tool, but i'll probably try it next time i get new rear pads....heck it's probably only like $5 from Checker.

Thats exactly what I do. It's cake work, just takes a few minutes to turn it back.

there's also another tool you can use

it has different fittings to fit the piston, and it has a screw going through a piece of metal into the fitting. the flat piece of metal rests on the other side of the caliper, and you turn the screw with a wrench and that turns the fitting which turns the piston.

somebody else has to know what tool i'm saying.

i rented it for $60

get the box tool too, the one i described only worked on one caliper. for some reason it wouldn't work on the other side :confused: the piston wouldn't turn so i had to use the box too.

try not to throw assorted tools across the yard when you do this, it's very easy to become fustrated with these god damn brakes.