De-Luggage-rack-ing......help?

OldsmoBeast

I need hlp taking the luggage rack off my car. especially the middle peices! my cutty is a wide sedan and needs a slightly wider spoiler, if even one at all! how do i get the peices off and seal the holes in the trunk so that it looks like i never had a luggage rack?

There are bolts inside your trunk so when you open trunk look at the other side of a trunk and you will see holes and bolts that hold the rack. And patching the holes will take some work including sanding and repainting whole trunk so when you do that your trunk will look different since it will have a new paint, when i got hit on the back and changed trunk and bumper i just repainted whole car instead or just back.

Yeah, they are heavy. I got mine locally, so I didn't have to ship it. Any sedan lid will work...you'll have to verify the years though. I know 1990-1991 are the same, and I think they are the same as the 1992+ sedans also. You'd have to make sure though. I'm sure Shawn knows.

It was about $125 for the lid, and about $75 for paint. $200 total.

Jason

Installation of a trunk lid? Hmm, lets see...

...compared to the ABS install, the turbo 3.1/5 speed engine swap, or the auto climate control install, or the HUD install, the gauge cluster swap, the shifter swap (before the manual trans), the seat swap, the stereo install, the ground effects installation, the I-Series front bumper, the suspension work, the 3 inch exaust fabrication, the sunroof install, the alarm install, the strut tower braces fabrication, the rear 2 door bucket seats with center console in the 4 door car, the stabilizer bar swap and install...and lots of other crap I can't remember right now. And all of this was all done years ago, long before there was any information or directions on how to do it. Many a sleepless nights wondering if it was going to work, or if I could actually do it. But everything turned out just fine. That was basically a Cutlass Supreme SL to International Series conversion.

Yea, I guess the trunk lid swap was easy. You'll need a friend, because it's heavy and hard to get aligned, but there are two bolts per side that need to be loosened. Take those out, and slide the trunk off of the arms. Slide the new one on, and fingertight the bolts. Slowly close the trunk to check alignment, and the tighten the bolts once it's aligned. If you need help, let me know.

Jason

cool, thanks for the help. so that was you with the 3.1 Turbo/5speed?? U do not understand how much respect i have for you bro...haha that is in-fucking-credible! even the sound of the car after you dropped in the turbo alone is enough to make anyone want to do that swap. must have been a bitch tho... i had a hard enough time doing all the little shit that you people do 'regularly'. I did get some Mobil 1 synthetic in my engine the day i read throgh your swap page and i was happily inspired to take a quick 20 minute spin around my part of town...just to try to find a ricer to race with.....u know teach em not to fuck with Cuttys...didn't find anything of course but meh it was fun. anyways sorry i'm rambling it's 2 AM and i'm bored u know......yah. thanks tho. oh yah one more thing.....how did you get the rear buckets to install in place of your old seats? i've been wanting to do that but figured it was difficult so i didn't get the seats.

Thanks!

It's not too hard, you'll need to fabricate a peice of metal with 4 tangs in it. I used a 1/4 inch thick peice of aluminum. You basically want to recreate the upper part of the two door, where the tops of the seats slide in to the tangs. The tops are different between the 2/4 door, but the lower bolts are the same. Now just put some carpet behind the seats, and install the seats. It'll look fine. As for the center console, you'll need to drill holes for bolts to mount the brackets with. JB weld won't hold (I tried it). You need to remove the gas tank to drill the holes/install the bolts. Just wait until your fuel pump dies, and you can kill two birds with one stone.

Jason

Wow! You're very helpful! Hey since we're doing this whole "I'll ask questions that u can answer" thing, i hope u don't mind helping me out with 2 more questions lol. first one is, in an STE, can you actually hear the turbo winding over the sound of the engine in normal driving? know what i mean? can you adjust the boost as well? i don't know much about turbos......or anything for that matter haha. wat can i say i'm still in highschool! other question is about Kralinator oil filters...ever heard of em?

thanks again!

thats it, I'm getting one! now the question is, should i sell the precious cutty? or just keep both?I'm thinking keep both...The Lexus makes a reall sweet sound after the 3000 RPM line...I wonder what it would sound like turbo? it's probably impossible on that car though.

Wow! You're very helpful! Hey since we're doing this whole "I'll ask questions that u can answer" thing, i hope u don't mind helping me out with 2 more questions lol. first one is, in an STE, can you actually hear the turbo winding over the sound of the engine in normal driving? know what i mean? can you adjust the boost as well? i don't know much about turbos......or anything for that matter haha. wat can i say i'm still in highschool! other question is about Kralinator oil filters...ever heard of em?

thanks again!

I was standing next to my car at the chassis dyno...and when he nailed it at 3k like I wanted him to...it was so freaking loud! It sounded like a jet taking off, as the thing built boost and RPMs went up. I was scared out of my mind, it was so loud. That was after the cone filter and the 3 inch exhaust. And yes, you can definately hear it inside after you install the cone filter.

As for the oil filter...I just use AC Delco. Nothing but AC Delco.

Jason

awesome! yeah, I would have gone delco but I figured they'd do that u know...automatically...then i was looking at the bill they gave me and it said Kralinator on it! i was kinda pissed but it was my fault for nto reading the contract in the first place. how hard do you all think it might be to find an STE or TGP for sale in Ontario? are they that rare or will I be able to find one easily?