[b]opting for analog cluster, anything i should know???

BlueCutSupreme

ok i'm buyin an analog cluster off of ebay from a 92 cutlass to put in my 89. I'm switchin out my nonworking digital base cluster for the analog with tach, oil, temp... from what i've read, replacing the digital with analog is easier than upgrading to the 6 guage digital cluster. What exactly is involved in installing the analog one? any help will be aprreciated, thanks

i have no clue about the installationz but i know that the 6-guage is actually really nice...some days it bores me too, but the analog is too......i dunno bland or normal or watever nowadays. when i have friends in the car, they always comment on how sikk my 6 guage looks. people like them, and that in itself makes me like it more!

I think all you have to do is replace the oil and coolant level switches with senders. Then run a wire from the ignition module to the cluster for the tach. The tach wire is actually run up to the firewall connector, but does not continue into the car so you'll have to run one.

ok cool so for the time being, until i can get the rest of it done, i'll have a working speedometer, odometer and gas guage...which is all i really need until i can get around to connecting the tach, it's prolly easier than i'm thinkin tho. The thing i don't understand is the whoel "sender" thing, is it like a chip or somethin? type of fuse?

Yes, your speedo, fuel gauge, and odometer should work.

The sender are the sensors on the engine. They oil pressure sender is a small metal cannister looking thing and is screwed into a spot in the engine next to the engine oil filter. Right now you'll just have a switch there, and you unplug it, unscrew it with a wrench, and screw in the new oil pressure sender in its place and plug in the electrical connector. Same deal with the coolant temp sender, I believe it's somewhere on the intake manifold.