painted wheels...

Psych0matt

So I'm thinking this winter Im gonna paint my factory rims, since the car will be in storage and I can have the wheels off for a long time. I was thinking white, or maybe something similar to an aluminumn color. any one have any suggestions or tips or anything? I know Jeremy did his and they came out good...

mine turned out pretty good for the time I put into them....i actually need to do a quick sand down to smooth out a few spots, and throw a couple more coats on....if you have them off for the winter, you should have no problems at all....If I had your car I would paint them white, that would be tits....

Even if you don't sand them, use something strong like acetone or paint remover to clean them up. On my 88' I used the Duplicolor wheel paint and clearcoat, and with my 95 I just painted the crosslace black with VHT caliper paint and was also pleased with the results..

I painted the wheels on my 88' a few years ago and (while the paint doesn't last forever) they still look "okay". That is through like 2 winters of abuse as well..

After 2 years:

16.jpg

Freshly painted crosslace:

S2400006.jpg

I was thinking of painting my wheels exactly like Billy Badass did........now that he has his done, I will be doing them....sometime. Robert, you need to get 245/50/16s.

:wink:

If they are pitted, corroded...I would just hit them up with a Dual Action sander and get them down pretty fine (like you would to metal on the body of the car) and then polish the hell out of them and clearcoat. Super shiny (almost like chrome) is better than painted in my book.

If they are pitted, corroded...I would just hit them up with a Dual Action sander and get them down pretty fine (like you would to metal on the body of the car) and then polish the hell out of them and clearcoat. Super shiny (almost like chrome) is better than painted in my book.

that'd look nice, but i'd be a shitload of work

painting would be much easier, and would look good too

I have had good luck using header paint on my wheels. it bonds well with the metal, it is heat resistant and brake dust doesn't discolor it.

BTW, The white wheels idea looks cool. Makes your car look super clean.