Flex-A-Form Rear Spring install and disappointment (7 pics)

GnatGoSplat

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• R Dubya

• GnatGoSplat

• airbe5car

• dsgrntld187

Removing the jack pad and spring retainers were easy. Using the spring compressor was also easy.

faf3.jpg

I have a couple questions:

1. Where can you get these spring compressors?

2. What are the spring compressors called?

3. Do you have duel exhaust, and if so did you have to take the exhaust off to remove the metal thing that goes across the spring on the passenger side?

I tried to change my spring last week and after 4 hours I got mad and gave up. I don't know where to get anything to compress the spring since everyone I ask around here says the only kind of compressors they have are for coil springs. I do not want to bring it in to be changed because I bought my "new" spring used and everywhere I called said they will not use my own parts, I have to buy a new one from them. My spring has no rubber ends on it at all and is cracked almost completely thru on the drivers side. I have no idea what happens if it does break in half but I would think it won't be anything good.

I have a couple questions:

1. Where can you get these spring compressors?

2. What are the spring compressors called?

3. Do you have duel exhaust, and if so did you have to take the exhaust off to remove the metal thing that goes across the spring on the passenger side?

1. I got mine from Ebay, it cost about $100 or so. I've seen some go as low as $50. They aren't there all the time, I searched for keywords "spring compress*" and "spring tool" once a week or so until I found one. I don't see any on Ebay right now, but they do show up on occasion.

2. GM calls it J-something something (where the "something" is a part number that I don't remember). They're manufactured by Kent Moore and are used on W-bodies and Corvettes.

3. I don't have dual exhaust, but the service manual does say you need to remove the exhaust on a car with duals.

Back when I was looking, sometimes I'd search for "kent moore" thinking that maybe someone had one but had no clue what it was.

CSA Gladiators, 18x8. 245/45ZR18 tires.

The wheels aren't a perfect fit on the front though, I had to cut down the front caliper bracket and also used 5mm spacers.

Damn that looks good. :)

I'd love to do that to my car, it needs a nice drop. But I have a feeling any extra money I'll have for it will be going to a PM III from Prior, and a rebuilt turbo.. :cry:

Shawn,

I'd say like the others say, give it a few months for the spring to break in.... Then remeasure the height.

My question to you is did the FAF spring stiffen up the rear any over the stock mono leaf?

My question to you is did the FAF spring stiffen up the rear any over the stock mono leaf?

No, actually it softened up the rear. It feels probably very similar to the spring in my convertible.

However, my Cutlass with the aux springs removed and KYB's in the rear ended up having the stiffest rear spring I've ever felt in a W-body. The FAF spring made things more reasonable back there. Before, no matter how hard I pushed, the old spring had virtually no give to it.

• 2 months later...

About 1000-miles later, it may have settled 1/4" or so. I'm not sure, it pretty much still looks about the same I think. It still needs to drop 1.25" more to match the ST springs in the front. It's about the same drop as I probably could have gotten with a stock 94-97 rear spring.

Latest pics (from Friday) are on page 1 of my Cardomain page.

I kinda like how the rear sits alittle higher in the rear, it looks good
i think it looks hot with the front lower then the rear :)

I don't mind a little rake, but not at the expense of that much gap. In fact, I think the front-end could stand to go down a bit more too.

is FAF going to do anything about that? it just doesn't lower the car enough to justify buying...

No, they ignore me now that I have it and am not completely happy with it.

well that sucks. i guess i'm keeping my coilovers.

Well, I did get the contact info for the company that did the rear spring for 1uvakind and aibe5car(sp?).

I was told they paid $400, but that included installation.

Supposedly this place kept the plans for those springs.

If there's any interest, I'll post their info when I get home.

Guest TurboSedan

awesome, thanks for the link. that is definately how i want my Cutlass to sit.

oh i've probably already asked you this, but which front springs did you get?

The front springs are Intrax for the 95-99 Monte Carlo. The set is consists of the 4 springs, but you have to forget about the rear ones cuase you can't use them anyways, so it's kind of a ripoff, but it's necessary.

Davis-I have no idea on part number or anything, if you do decide to get that done I can PM you my info so they can get the plans together ahead of time because they don't do many of these jobs on a daily basis.