Flex-A-Form Rear Spring install and disappointment (7 pics)

GnatGoSplat

I got the Flex-A-Form rear spring yesterday and installed it today. It actually arrived on Thursday, but George sent it to the address on my check instead of the one on the letter and order form I included with payment. That happened to be my old address where luckily, my brother-in-law lives there so he just brought it by my house yesterday.

Anyway, here's the pics:

Before lowering, I measured 29-3/4" from wheel well to floor. Other side was about the same.

faf1.jpg

After jacking up the car, setting it on jackstands, and removing the wheel, the next step is disconnecting one trailing arm. That sumbitch was TIGHT and killed my $20 Harbor Freight 12V impact wrench. :( I had to improvise. Overspray? I don't see no stinkin' overspray! :wink:

faf2.jpg

Removing the jack pad and spring retainers were easy. Using the spring compressor was also easy.

faf3.jpg

The spring came right out, nothing to it. Here's a comparison of the stock spring on top and Flex-A-Form spring on the bottom. I swear the pic looked centered on my camera's LCD! Both rubber pads on my OEM spring had worn through, no wonder the rear suspension made so much racket!

faf4.jpg

Here's a top view. The FAF spring is is noticeably narrower. I hope it's strong enough to last!

faf5.jpg

The FAF spring goes in without even needing the spring compressor. I had to kind of wrestle with the bolts and spring retainers since the FAF spring isn't quite to perfect OEM tolerances, but I expected that. Only difficulty came when it was time to get the trailing arm bolt back in. For that, I had to get Penny's help. Me kicking on the knuckle while she attempted to feed the bolt through. Once I got that back together, I had to use my jack again to help me torque it to 192 ft-lbs.

Here's a pic of the finished product after a spin around the block to seat the spring. The rear is still noticeably higher than the front with ST springs.

faf6.jpg

Well damn, George claimed a 2-3" lowering, but it only dropped the rear 1.25".

faf7.jpg

Awww fudge, I measured that I need another 1.25" drop to match the front exactly. :(

Well, now I don't know what to do if I want my car level. I'm thinking maybe adding 94-96 aux springs back on will help. I removed and chucked mine long ago because they didn't work with the 94+ rear brake conversion. At the same time, I also installed the KYB rear struts. That raised the car's rear end about 3/4". I don't know whether it was removing the aux springs or installing the KYB's (which have a very strong gas charge) was responsible for the increase. If the aux springs, maybe putting some back on will drop it an additional 3/4".

If the difference between front and rear was around 1/2", I probably wouldn't have been disappointed because it wouldn't be so obvious, but the difference is 1.25". I don't really want to get coilovers, but I wonder if that's the only way to get a perfect rear drop?

Hmmmm... what to do? :think: :shrug:

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• R Dubya

• GnatGoSplat

• airbe5car

• dsgrntld187

Shawn did you drive the car around a little so the spring seats itself in? I imagine it'd need about 10-20 miles of city style driving before you can get a true height. Also, BOTH a stiff shock and having no aux springs will raise it up, though the aux springs change it very little.

Shawn did you drive the car around a little so the spring seats itself in? I imagine it'd need about 10-20 miles of city style driving before you can get a true height. Also, BOTH a stiff shock and having no aux springs will raise it up, though the aux springs change it very little.

I actually didn't drive it anymore than a mile. Everything is expired on it since I've been working on it off and on, but I think I'm ready to get it insured, inspected, registered, and back on the road this week.

Hopefully a few miles of break-in will lower it a bit. I'm not sure if I want to go to a softer OEM-style strut or not. Aux springs are no problem, but don't they soften the ride? Then again, that might not be a bad idea with 18"s.

That is one NICE looking cutty. dayum.

:twisted: Hey gnat, where do you live? :twisted:

Thanks man, this body style is my favorite W. :rocking:

I live in the state next to yours, but still pretty far. :lol:

now out of curiousity does wheel size play any part in how far the drop is?

it does help though

Diameter of the tire will affect the car's height, but it won't affect the change in height.

it does help though

Diameter of the tire will affect the car's height, but it won't affect the change in height.

Yes, H, not delta H

it does help though

Yes, H, not delta H

Now your speaking my engineering language

i've changed rear ends in RWD cars before and trust me after a full day of there being no load on the rear leafs the car sits higher for a day or so after the job.

Put 200 miles on it.............I'll bet it'll drop enough 0.5" by then.

0.5"? I need 1.25" more drop out of it!

The Flex-A-Form spring might work for some people if all they need is a 1.25" drop. I think that's all the drop the ST front springs offer. Only problem was the ass end of my Cutlass rode 1.25" higher in the rear even before I dropped the front, so after dropping the front, it needed lowered 2.5" in the rear.

I guess I'd better see what George at Flex-A-Form will do because the car looks better, but not $300 better.

Nope, I have a Craftsman 3 ton SUV jack.

Anyways, Just let the car settle itself in. Put something big in the back, like uh.. bricks or something. That'll help it

i have a jack like that and the matching jackstands :lol: however those are holding the back or is it front of the diplomat up in the air currently :shock:

I too have that jack and a couple other hydrolic ones too....

...anyway it does look better, but you are right, $300 is a decent amount to spend and not get the results you were promised....