disable automatic power door locks?

THe_DeTAiL3R

I want to disable my doors from locking automatically when I put my car in gear. Is there a fuse for this? (I tried pulling 2 different ones for power doors but nothing..)

It's a major pita on the newer cars when you have to manually unlock the doors to leave the vehicle. At least with fords the doors automatically unlock when you pull the inside door handle. If I remember correctly there's no simple way to disable the auto locks without disabling the power locks altogether.

I have looked into this as well, but to no avail. It is just a PITA when you have other people in the car that you are dropping off or something, and you always have to press unlock, and even when you put it into Park to get the mail or something, you have to press unlock. No big deal, but it adds up to be annoying.

I have looked into this as well, but to no avail. It is just a PITA when you have other people in the car that you are dropping off or something, and you always have to press unlock, and even when you put it into Park to get the mail or something, you have to press unlock. No big deal, but it adds up to be annoying.

Exactly!!! Our van also has this feature and I've always hated it...

My 88 doesn't do this. If I want to lock or unlock the doors I press the damn button. This was especially annoying today when I was starting and restarting my 95 (I think my starter is fine.. just a bad connection somewhere).

My old 94 Grand Am had a fuse you could pull that would disable the auto locking. I haven't looked into disabling the locks on my Regal yet so I'm not sure if it's possible. I guess I'm just used to the auto locking/unlocking now (but whoever rides shotgun can never remember to wait until I shut the car off to get out of the car...)

I know it's annoying at first, but you get used to it after a few weeks...

Throw me a fricken wiring diagram here

:P

my '92 doesn't do it but I suspected that somehow in installing the locks I missed a wire and the feature never made it, but looking at my diagrams it doesn't look like '92 has it at all. At least not on the CS.

Gnat did you do this to your car.. or Disco? thought someone did :?

I did the opposite, I added it to my 89 that didn't have it.

But you can disable it easily. Just unplug the inline connector going to the chime box. You'll also lose your turn signal left on warning, but your 88 never had that either. I thought someone said there was a fuse for this in some cars, but I've never looked into it.

No, 92 wouldn't have it. Auto locking was new in 93 (doesn't auto unlock) while auto lock and unlock came out in 94. Turn signal left on warning came out in 89.

Gnat did you do this to your car.. or Disco? thought someone did :?

I did the opposite, I added it to my 89 that didn't have it.

But you can disable it easily. Just unplug the inline connector going to the chime box. You'll also lose your turn signal left on warning, but your 88 never had that either. I thought someone said there was a fuse for this in some cars, but I've never looked into it.

No, 92 wouldn't have it. Auto locking was new in 93 (doesn't auto unlock) while auto lock and unlock came out in 94. Turn signal left on warning came out in 89.

pm me on how to add it i want it one my cars so i don't have to worry about locking the doors :)

Auto locking was new in 93 (doesn't auto unlock)

Guess I lucked out, the donor car only could've either been a '92 or '93 :lol:

My boyfriend's car has different settings that can be switched to preference. He can disable them, have them lock but not unlock, have them only unlock, or have them do both. His car is a 97 Bonneville. Mine is a 93, and I removed my keyless to add my alarm, which locks & unlocks the doors. When I removed my keyless entry my driver side power lock wouldn't work at all until I rewired it. I would think there is a fuse it would be for the keyless entry system, and pulling it would have the same effect as me removing my box. The automatic door lock signal wire would be the best way to disable the locking. It is a light blue wire that runs into your chime module. It then runs to the keyless entry box in the back of the car under the rear dash. I got to mine pretty easily by removing my rear passenger side speaker and the plastic mounting thing that the speaker is mounted to. Then reach under the dash and feel around for a plastic box. Mine wasn't attched to my car so I could just pull it up thru the speaker hole. Then cut the Light Blue wire. I am pretty sure there was a wiring diagram on the box itself too. I would cut the wire from there instead of the chime module because I am not sure if anything else in the car uses the input from the wire at the chime module.

You don't have to cut any wires, just unplug the inline connector. Nothing else needs that connection except the turn signal left on reminder which I'm sure most people don't really need.

Anyone that pulled their Auto ock/Unlock boxes out that still has them? I want this feature like a mofo, lmao :lol:

If your serious and you want it, it is also the box for keyless entry/remote trunk popper...

I still have mine somewhere. I have no idea if it works, since I didn't get a remote with it. I didn't bother to buy one because my school campus has issues with break-ins and vandelism so I wanted an alarm system that makes the remote beep when it's set off. When my boyfriend bought his car his remote would unlock his doors but wouldn't disable his factory security system, and when looking thru his owners manual we noticed his remote didn't look the same as the one in his book. Instead it was the remote that was shown in my book. So now we have a remote that goes to the keyless box, but it's too much work to hook the box back up to see if it works or not. Mine is a 93 though, so it locks when put in drive but does not unlock, unless you skip hooking up that wire. I do think the box works, since the power locks, auto locks, and trunk popper worked with the box in and all of those things have wiring running into the box. When I took the box out none of them worked until I rewired them.

Since I can't say 100% for sure the box works I will give it to you for the whatever it costs for me to send it to you (padded envelope & shipping). I think I have the wiring harness for it too, but I have to look. I do have wiring diagrams in my Haynes book I can scan and email to you. If you want the remote I can ask my boyfriend how much he wants to sell it for, since he knows it does work. I'm guessing he will probably want what he paid to get the right one for his car, which he got on ebay (I think it was like $10). He is at work right now, so I can't ask him, but he will be home in about 2 hours. Let me know if your serious & what you decide if you are, so I don't have to go digging thru my boxes of extra parts if there is no reason to.

Anyone that pulled their Auto ock/Unlock boxes out that still has them? I want this feature like a mofo, lmao :lol:

If your serious and you want it, it is also the box for keyless entry/remote trunk popper...

Actually, that's not correct. Auto lock/unlock is controlled by the chime module in the circuit breaker electrical center under the passenger side dash (or next to the steering column under the cluster on some 94+ GP's).

yep i took the same rout in disableing mine, just unpluged the harnas under the dash off the chime box, best modification i ever did

Actually, that's not correct. Auto lock/unlock is controlled by the chime module in the circuit breaker electrical center under the passenger side dash (or next to the steering column under the cluster on some 94+ GP's).

So then to get the unlock feature can't the chime module be swapped from a 93 to a 94+, or are there more differences that would make them incompatable to swap? Do Lumina's use the same chime module as the GP's if Steve's don't lock/unlock or is his car pre-93?

The receiver for the remote lock ands trunk opener is a box in the trunk I believe.. The chime box is a little (clear?) one under the dash.. I want remote entry and the auto lock up, lmao.. Im greedy, but what can I say? I like Gizmos!

So then to get the unlock feature can't the chime module be swapped from a 93 to a 94+, or are there more differences that would make them incompatable to swap? Do Lumina's use the same chime module as the GP's if Steve's don't lock/unlock or is his car pre-93?

Yes, that's right, someone with a 93 could just install a 94-96 chime module. One wire would also need to be run from chime module to unlock relay, but that's all you'd need to do to upgrade a 93 so that it auto unlocks as well.

Luminas do use the same chime module, but I don't think any of theirs ever had auto locks. Steve would need to do as I did, and that's connect the inline harness to the lock/unlock relays (on mine both relays are in 1 unit). He would also need to run 1 wire from the chime module to the ECM's Park/Neutral wire (I think it's grounded in park or neutral).

Yep, I like gizmos too, that's why I added the auto locks to mine, although it does get a little annoying sometime.

I like gizmos as well, but I've just got this paranoid fear of accidently leaving the car in gear as I shut the door, or some gremlin gets into it and locks the doors when I leave it running. I ALWAYS put the window down before I get out if I leave it running :?

I ALWAYS put the window down before I get out if I leave it running :?

I do that with my '88 even though it can't automatically lock. I do it 'just in case'. I also have a door key attached to my wallet. I have NEVER locked myself out of the GP, or any other car that I can remember. 8)

On a side note, my gf locked herself out of her Sunfire (again) WHILE it was running... I'm just glad I wasn't there. :roll: