Fuel Filter

sx460

I've got a '95 3.4 (Lumina). How ofter should I change the filter? Which filters are good? O'Reilly has a Fram for $11 and a AC Delco for $15. Which should I buy? Or should I not by either a Fram or an AC Delco?

What do you guys suggest?

I used a fram filter and it works fine! Some say to change it about every 60,000 miles. Mine was at 80k, so it was showing a little wear. And if yours is ANYTHING like my 95GP, the fuel pressure is NOT FUN to release! Just have plenty of towels and rags ready when you change it, your gonna need it!

I've never changed a fuel filter before. What's the proper procedure? I'm thinking that all you do is unscrew the filter from the fuel line (using two cresent wrenchs, probably), place new filter where old one was and reconnect to fuel line. I'm guessing it'll be a bit messy, but just taking off the fuel filter WILL NOT empty the gas tank, right? After the initial drain of gas (maybe 1/4 cup) it will stop coming out of the fuel lines?

You HAVE to release the fuel system pressure to take off the filter. Especially if you have a lot of gas in your tank. The fuel lines run down from your tank to the filter, if you unbolt that line your gonna have all that gas spilling out everywhere, and you don't want to start a fire like that! There is an electrical connector on or around your tank that you can unhook, run the engine until it stalls, crank it for about 3 seconds, replace the connector and replace the filter. Or, you can take off the little plug on the fuel rail and pump out the fuel that way. I never had a tool to do such a proceedure, and depending on the type of fuel injection your car has there are multiple ways of doing it. What type of injection do you have?

I always thought that unscrewing the gas cap released the pressure?? That always worked for me anyways. I woulnd't use cresent wrenches either, tubing wrenches work the best. Its a 5 minute job if you have the Quick Connect setup on it to, just push the 2 plastic tabs together and you have the one end off, other end requires wrenches.

Aaron

I never had a problem removing them with adjustable wrenches.

I use my fuel pressure gauge to relieve pressure on the fuel rail. Be prepared to have fuel dribbling down your arm anyway. At least that always happens to me, so I end up having to take a shower after changing the filter to get the stink out.

I would recommend an AC filter over a Fram. I've never had any problems with the Fram filter on my car, but I've seen how Fram makes oil filters... they are very cheap and crappy, so I'm sure pretty much any other brand would be better.