Z won't start

EurosportZ34

OK...here's the freakin deal.

I go to start my Z34 yesterday and she won't start. All the dash lights come on and the radio works, so it's obvious that my battery isn't dead, but she doesn't turn over at all. Any suggestions? A couple of my non-W friends said it was either the ignition coil or the starter...I wanna know for sure before I start replacing shit though. Whatcha ya'll think?

Thanks in advance!

actually the same thing happend to me the other day so i got a jump from my mom and left the car running for about 10 min and havent had a problem since

When you turn the key do you hear the starter click?

Nope...nothing.

LOL, just now I went out and tried to start it again and it started. But I'm sure that this will happen again. I remember a couple months ago it wouldn't start, clicked though, and then I tired to start it a while later and it started up. WTF? :cry: My car has a mind of its own and only starts when it wants to.

my Cutlass does what you just stated about 4 times a year. My father-in-law told me that it could be the ignition module or even the friggen key. Another thought I have is the starter solenoid...only god knows!

It could be the Park/Neutral safety switch that's out of alignment. Try moving the shift lever into Neurtal and see if it will turn over then...

It could be the Park/Neutral safety switch that's out of alignment. Try moving the shift lever into Neurtal and see if it will turn over then...

I had a car I had to slide the shifter up and down while holding the key to start :lol: With the brake on of course.

It could be just the remote positive terminal nut is loose. Try tightening that remote positive terminal nut (which is near the fuel pump relay/fuse).

Nope all connections are tight. I'll have to try some of your guys' stuff next time she doesn't start and see if they'll work. Thanks! Anymore answers are very much welcomed!

Next time it happens, get out your trusty hammer and give the starter a whack. The brushes inside hang up sometimes when they get old and when it gets whacked they drop down enabling the circuit to be complete.

Very slight chance it could be the park/neutral safety switch out of adjustment also.

Good luck with it!

• 4 weeks later...

OK guys guess what! The Z didn't start yet again today. I tried everything that you guys mentioned to get her to go. And still nothing. I was 15mins late for work cause of this piece of crap. I'm seriously considering selling her if I can't get her fixed soon! Any new ideas at what might be the problem? Again...the battery is fully charged, all terminals are connected and doubled checked, alternator is good, she doesn't turn over when you start her but all the lights come on inlcuding the raido. This only happens sometimes, most of the time she is excellent...no problems...this just happens some of the time where she doesn't feel like starting. I can't have this happening so that I'm late for work all the time. :?

ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!

i the same problem happen twice in one day? that sucked cuz my caliper fell off and dragged on my wheel doing 75 but thats another story, that day we just jumped it let it run in the driveway for about 15 never had a problem sicne

Well I think this problem has evolved into a larger problem cause she doesn't start at all now...it's been 2 days even. So Monday she is going to the shop and they'll take a good look at her and get her running for me again. *Hopefully*

Well I think this problem has evolved into a larger problem cause she doesn't start at all now...it's been 2 days even. So Monday she is going to the shop and they'll take a good look at her and get her running for me again. *Hopefully*

Before you waist some serious $$$, try a few more things.

Will the car take a Jump, if so it could be a bad pos/neg cable or even need a new slow burning fuze on the wire that activates the starter.

Will the car start in neutral? If so it might be the neutral safty switch.

when is the last time the alternator was replaced, Check the voltage on the battery, if its low, see if the parts store can tricklecharge it. If it wont take a charge, get a new battery, if it will, pull the alternator.

have you been heavly drinking? You might forgetting 2 put the key into the ignition

hate to see ya waist $ on a stupid problem that can be easly fixed

Thanks for the streaming line of info guys....

Well as of today she's in the shop, I'm planning on getting her back tomorrow. I can't wait, I've been without a car for 4 days now! :cry:

I got my car back today! :cry: It's such an emotional time for me.

Anyways....the problem turned out to be the transmission range switch.

Yeah, of course! :roll: Who knows what it does. They tell me it tells the car that it's in park so that it can start. This little $50 piece was the thing that would not let my car start. Funny, isn't it?