painting calipers

per0781

I used the search function and didn't find anything. I bought a can of VHT caliper paint. Any advice on when I go to paint them. I would rather remove the caliper completely than leave them on and tape around them. Any advice on doing this or anything I should watch out for. Also, pics would be nice. Thanks :D

If u take the caliper completely off, make sure to drain the brake fluid out completely or not let it leak out. If it does, it wil take the paint right off. I did tn 94+ upgrade and painted them befor i put them on. I will try to get a pic up soon.

I've seen that kit around. Have considered buying it a few times. IIRC that's what Shawn used to paint his, but I've been wrong on many occasions. If you use it, let us know how it works out.

Bleeding brakes is a PITA. I originally painted the rear calipers off the car because I painted them before the 94+ upgrade.

This time around, I didn't want to remove them mainly because bleeding them is a big PITA, not to mention any spilled brake fluid will eat the paint right off.

Anyway, all I did was take a wire brush to the calipers and wire brushed them very well. Then I cleaned them off with lacquer thinner to remove any oils that would prevent the paint from adhering.

The paint I used was the cheapest red engine paint I could get at Wal-mart. For the caliper support bracket, I wanted it a different color so I just used some cheap Wal-mart Colorplace rust preventive gloss black enamel. I masked everything off using masking tape and newspapers. Very easy and came out looking better than I thought it would.

In case I haven't missed your start already. Get a wire wheel for either your drill or dremel and clean the caliper off nicely, after a solid brake cleaner cleaning. Wear a dust mask and do it outdoors on a windy day, and it shouldn't be too bad.

I prepped my wife's T/A calipers this way, and just took them off the bracket to paint. Was easy and didn't have to do much taping.

EDIT: One other tip. Use clearcoat over the top of the color. It'll help protect against the brake dust and brake fluid spills.

The kit that Duplicolor sells seems to work pretty well. Its kinda of an all day project though. For best results you should remove the calipers and give them a thorough cleaning, and then you'll have to give the calipers at least 3 coats to make them look good. I think the kit sells for like $15 at most stores and its available in red, yellow and silver.

I'm fairly happy with the results on my car, although I wish I had gone with silver rather than red.

while i do not think that is the one i saw it would certainly work.

buy the stuff and do it on the side for cash.

make some money to pay for mods

Monty

while i do not think that is the one i saw it would certainly work.

buy the stuff and do it on the side for cash.

make some money to pay for mods

Monty

lol you don't know what you're getting into man.. don't do it!

oh trust me i do not plan on doing it.

i love car audio and i only do it for me and a few close friends

even though there is a chance at money.

just throwing up the offer for someone else

Monty