GM Top Engine Cleaner

john99gtp

i just asked that very question over at the turbododge forum, alhto i haven't gotten a reply. i really don't see why you couldn't :?:

You can use it in any gasoline engine w/ no problems, just change your oil shortly after running the cleaner through. Some also suggest changing your spark plugs after doing this(if any of ya' are reading this and plan to change your plugs and have aluminum heads..let them cool before removing them!).

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• test4echo

• sl3196

• john99gtp

• mfewtrail

I did this today.. smoked like a SOB, but I notice absolutely NO difference.

I actually noticed a difference today when I went back home. My highway gas mileage went from an average of 28-ish to 34-ish :shock:

Guest TurboSedan

yeah! i'm only getting 22.5mpg/highway even tho i get 19.5mpg/city. i think my problem has more to do with the ignition system but i'm going to try the GM Top Engine Cleaner before i replace the plugs.

right after i swapped in my 5-speed i was getting almost 32mph/highway :?

I'm gonna have to get some myself! Josh, davis had the top engine stuff last time I went there. It was the spray so I don't know if they have the non-spray stuff.

I was just considering running another bottle of Cleens through the engine.

Like I mentioned before, the car had 184,000KM on her and I can't belive the first "Cleens" bottle got rid of Most of the gunk.

I noticed a huge difference of course, but want to be extra cleen.hehe

Is there any reason for NOT doing this at every oil change? (3000KM)

test,

Like I mentioned before, the car had 184,000KM on her and I can't belive the first "Cleens" bottle got rid of Most of the gunk.

test,

On certain engines, it can foul your spark plugs. I wouldn't do it every oil change..

test,

On certain engines, it can foul your spark plugs. I wouldn't do it every oil change..

like mine :roll:

oh well, cest la vie

now i know :)

John

I noticed that Sea Foam also has something called Deep Creep for spraying right into the throttle. I know on my normal throttle body cleaner, it specifically says not to use on turbos and diesels. I was wondering if the same would apply to this stuff. I used the normal Sea Foam in the gas tank and crank case a couple of months ago, but am still hesitant about putting anything through the lines, or in the throttle because of possible complications with the turbo.

Guest TurboSedan
I noticed that Sea Foam also has something called Deep Creep for spraying right into the throttle. I know on my normal throttle body cleaner, it specifically says not to use on turbos and diesels. I was wondering if the same would apply to this stuff. I used the normal Sea Foam in the gas tank and crank case a couple of months ago, but am still hesitant about putting anything through the lines, or in the throttle because of possible complications with the turbo.

that seems wierd...i wonder if it's not supposed to be used in "suck thru" turbo setups, where the turbocharger actually sucks in air thru the throttle-body. if that is the case then it should be ok for use in a "blow thru" setup (like a TGP) where the turbo actually blows thru the TB. IOW, in a blow-thru turbo setup you could spray the Deep Creep right thru the TB and it wouldn't go thru the turbo, but on a suck-thru setup it would go thru the TB and then right into the turbo, possibly damaging the seals.

some guys on the TD forum are using water:

http://www.turbododge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59412

Yep, people have been doing this for a long time now..I'm not sure if it works quite as well as using some sort of actual cleaner, but it will essentially steam clean the inside of your engine...follow the advice on the last post/first page if you do this(ie: ingest water slowly, misting it in would be the best route). I would use water on the turbocharged engines "just in case"..I don't see how the GM top engine cleaner could hurt anything, unless you didn't change the oil afterwards and it broke down somewhat causing it not to lubricate the turbocharger & engine bearings as well.