GM Top Engine Cleaner

john99gtp

Just wondering if the top engine cleaner is safe to run in the L67, anyone know???

Also, what vaccuum line should I pull? When I did this on my 3.1 my EGR friggin smoked like crazy! Dont want that to happen again

Thanks

John

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• test4echo

• sl3196

• john99gtp

• mfewtrail

The smoke is just from the Top Engine Clean and depoists burning.......its supposed to do that. Just find a vacuum line that runs to the intake manifold. And don't worry.....RX-7 guys use Top Engine Clean and ATF (high detergant content) all the time......and thats on a twin turbooed rotatry motor.......they don't exactly ike detontaion or anything out of the ordinary.

I used some Canadian Tire brand carb cleaner (not GM Top engine cleaner) and I used the vacuum line that attaches to the transmission vacuum modulator. I got a bit of smoke but not nearly as much as I was expecting. Is that a bad line to use or did I probably just buy cheap junk :?:

Yeah u probaly got cheap junk. I used both carb cleaner and gm top end cleaner in my cutlass. The gm cleaner foams alot and cleans much better than regular carb cleaner.

Yeah u probaly got cheap junk. I used both carb cleaner and gm top end cleaner in my cutlass. The gm cleaner foams alot and cleans much better than regular carb cleaner.

I see.. yeah that stuff I bought didnt' foam at all. Motomaster junk. Their fuel injector cleaner (for in the tank) made my car run worse. :lol:

If you got a brake booster vacuum line then use that to introduce the top end cleaner of course while the engine is running. You may have to use a funnel.

Don't allow the liquid top engine cleaner to enter the engine too quickly, hold the line above the liquid and let it slowly suck the cleaner in.

How much does a bottle of this stuff cost? And from what I've read you can only get this at a dealer(GM top engine cleaner)?

Now I know that its a good thing to do if there's buildup, but are there any cons from using this stuff?

Thanks Dan

Theres also shit called seafoam which is supposed 2 be even better then the GM stuff. Just like trail said, slow is good for the most part of a top end cleaning but u might wanna bring the revvs upto about 2k and allow more cleaner into it and not stall it. Also, if u have no cat on the car, have a buddy hold a lighter 2 the exhaust while ya revving with the cleaner going into it, i got the GP to shoot flames =)

-Jeff

I used the seafoam stuff its a few bucks cheaper. I cant say which works better, and i used the pcv line because the car wouldnt stay running when i tried to use a different line. Being that i was by myself it was a pain in the ass. It smoked for a good 20min straigh, plus everytime i started the car for the next couple hrs or so.

Ok,

I was at a GM dealership today, I asked the guy for "GM Top Engine Cleaner"

He had No Idea what I was talking about.

Neither did any of the mechanics he asked.

I live in Windsor Ontario Canada.

Is there another name that product goes by?

I'd like to get some.

No-one around here has heard of SeaFoam either.

Help!!

Test,

I'm in the same boat as you. I think I saw some sort of cleaner at the dealership but it was expensive. No seafoam here, I'd really like to try the stuff :( .

I'm in the same boat as you. I think I saw some sort of cleaner at the dealership but it was expensive. No seafoam here, I'd really like to try the stuff :( .

Seafoam is at just about ANY parts store, not dealers. The part # for GM top engine cleaner(if you wanna go that route instead of the cheaper seafoam) is 1050002.

I found this awhile ago on vfaq.com its for a dsm but it should work for anything top engine cleaning its towards the bottom of the page. I was thinking of doing it but..I am worried about hydrolock.

WHY do you think I said to not introduce the liquid into your engine too quickly.... :wink: Just hold the line above the liquid and let it slowly suck it in, if you're worried about it THAT much, just let it suck a little in at a time. The main thing you're not wanting to do is take a full bottle of cleaner and dump a large vaccum line(think brake booster) line into the cannister and allow it to suck up all the liquid(it would go in really quickly). Pouring the cleaner into an old/clear water bottle is a good way to monitor how much you're ingesting into the engine.

Ok,

I was at a GM dealership today, I asked the guy for "GM Top Engine Cleaner"

He had No Idea what I was talking about.

Neither did any of the mechanics he asked.

I live in Windsor Ontario Canada.

Is there another name that product goes by?

I'd like to get some.

No-one around here has heard of SeaFoam either.

Help!!

Test,

Its called CLEENS, no idea why. Try part# 992872

See if that works for you

on my 3.1 i pulled the 19mm brake booster hose off the back of the plenum where the brake booster hose connects. its a lot simpler though 2 use a small hose and go into the tranny vaccum modulator port on the plenum right after the throttle body.

-Jeff

tgp34

Thanks,

I did call GM and they do have CLEENS.

Is that the same stuff everyones talking about here?

GM TOP Engine Cleaner?

Also, you mentioned another part number #992872

What is that product?

*Edited*

Nevermind. Both codes refer to the same product.

Thanks,

test,

you sure u want me to use the middle one on top? the one that is my boost pressure sensor???

wont that go in the supercharger?

I bought the stuff today, so i wanna do it tonite.

need opinions plz

John