282 Gear noise!!!

Baddflash

How much noise should one hear from a healthy trans?

I've noticed that there is a fair bit of gear noise when the car is just idling.

I do have to get fairly close to hear it but is this normal???

Thanks,

EDIT: there's lots of syncromesh in there!

Guest TurboSedan

does the noise go away when you push in the clutch pedal?

my TO bearing rattles (quietly) in neutral with the clutch engaged, but when i push the pedal in the rattling goes away. my previous 282 did the same thing.

EDIT: the only time i have ever heard actual gear noise was when/while my last 282 blew chunks....lots of gear noise lol

Well unfortuantely it's not the TO bearing. It is for sure gear noise which I can hear best from the housing in the drivers wheel well. I hope it's not dying cause these tranny's are hard to find!!!

Did you have any problems other than noise before your tranny blew? :shock:

It almost sounds like a noisy valvetrain. You can't hear it from inside the car or standing beside it, you have to be within a foot of the tranny so it's not that bad but I'm concerned now. :(

Guest TurboSedan
Well unfortuantely it's not the TO bearing. It is for sure gear noise which I can hear best from the housing in the drivers wheel well. I hope it's not dying cause these tranny's are hard to find!!!

Did you have any problems other than noise before your tranny blew? :shock:

It almost sounds like a noisy valvetrain. You can't hear it from inside the car or standing beside it, you have to be within a foot of the tranny so it's not that bad but I'm concerned now. :(

mine was completely quiet and then it got worse instantly. it blew when i was going a steady 30mph in 3rd....it just got really noisy suddenly, so i took it home 1/2 mile away, was losing gears on the way, and fluid was leaking out and the fluid was black. i could put it into any gear, let out the clutch completely and rev the motor and the car would not move, just a bunch of gear noise. there was no warning at all, one minute it was fine the next it was trashed. hope yours holds out! i'm on my 2nd Getrag right now, which is doing great (knock on wood).

You can get 282's rebuilt though and for reletively cheap right? And Malibu did you ever take urs to a shop to see what had happened on the inside?