• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vegeta

• BIGBULS

• GrandPrix34

• Aaron

Sounds just like a stock LQ1 manual should.

BTW..........in the first run you are shifting too high.

A stock LQ1 manual does best shifted at 6450-6500rpm for 1-2 and 2-3, 6100rpm for 3-4 and hold 4th too the governor (~6600rpm in most cases)..........the actual optimum 4-5 shift would also be right around 6500rpm, but since that's like 2 mph below the governor :wink: .

Mods change this of course (the FFP chip and UDP especially...both help the top end more than anything), but those points are good to start with.

I get this data from the 3 rare stock LQ1 manual dyno charts that I have on my hard drive (they are all slightly different from each other, but those seem to be the best shiftpoints across the board)............

I LOVE THAT SOUND!!!!

But, I do wish I had a 5-Speed...so much more excitement 8)

I love the sound too. You need to swap in a 5 speed. :D

now i'm curious...what's the cutty top out at?

I haven't even been over 100 in it yet. lol But the Chip I got fom Ben put the speed limiter at 255. But I'm guessing at least 140.

I need one of these so bad. You guys have no idea. Graduation is tomorrow! 1400$ 93' Z34 5-speed here I come.

Oh I couldn't wait to get my Cutty either. Had to wait 2 months. :( Congrats for both. :)

Wow that sounds sooo much different than mine. God I NEED A CAMERA!!!!

How so? I'm sure you know someone who has a camera. I want to hear yours now.

dammit my Mac won't play .wmv

I'll make a quicktime version tomorrow. :)

DAMN IT now i really want a ub3 speedometer

Yes It's nice.

Sounds just like a stock LQ1 manual should.

BTW..........in the first run you are shifting too high.

A stock LQ1 manual does best shifted at 6450-6500rpm for 1-2 and 2-3, 6100rpm for 3-4 and hold 4th too the governor (~6600rpm in most cases)..........the actual optimum 4-5 shift would also be right around 6500rpm, but since that's like 2 mph below the governor .

Mods change this of course (the FFP chip and UDP especially...both help the top end more than anything), but those points are good to start with.

I get this data from the 3 rare stock LQ1 manual dyno charts that I have on my hard drive (they are all slightly different from each other, but those seem to be the best shiftpoints across the board)............

Good info.

I do have Ben's chip already so the shift points are probably a little higher. I can't wait to get a UD pulley and to do the 13* exuast retard though. :D

Its been so long since ive seen a cutlass interior in 1 piece....:(

Better exhaust will help that thing top out more. It does sound a bit flat up top but then again im used to my ported shit.

You should come to the 60V6 meet, see how some modded 5 speeds sound/feel:)

Better exhaust will help that thing top out more. It does sound a bit flat up top but then again im used to my ported shit.

You should come to the 60V6 meet, see how some modded 5 speeds sound/feel:)

I plan on doing an exhaust. :D

Where's the 60V6 meet at? I'd love to go.

thats sounds like you have a cone filter and somewhat free flowing exaust.

Sounds really familiar.. damn you, i dont wana go waist gas! :evil: temping as hell

3.4/5-speeds looks so much more fun than the 3.x family of engines :(

Hopefully Davis gets his 3.1T 5-speed Cutlass done soon.. he's gonna let me drive it :twisted:

july 30, bowling green kentucky. Probably gonna be low key, hang out with enthusiasts and have a good time. We don't give a shit about sponsors and trophies and that crap this year...just wanna talk cars and watch me tune (never fails).

I don't know mine just pics up a very large intake roar at like 4000, it just growls really loudly. The CAI really made this happen though.

My car pulls all the way to 6800. At the track, I shifted out of 1st right at about 7100, right before my limiter came in, and out of 2nd at 7, and rode third out. Now if I ever get it back at the track, I will need 4th. I do not know where to shift, but I will probly hold 3rd to around 6800. IF I shift too early, 4th will be too low and will lag. Too late and third stops making more power than 4th would.

now will the HUD register up to 140? I know my grandma's '88 Cutty International 2 Dr only i think registers up to like 100 or so. I know this is probably a stupid question...but i'm just wondering. 8)

now will the HUD register up to 140? I know my grandma's '88 Cutty International 2 Dr only i think registers up to like 100 or so. I know this is probably a stupid question...but i'm just wondering. 8)

I would think a Hud will register 140, if not the digital cluster should.

An otherwise stock 3.4L DOHC 5 speed with a chip and 225/60R16 tires should hit 135-138mph (4600-4700rpm in 5th gear) topped out. The gearing is just a little too long to use ALL 210hp available.........otherwise it WOULD go a little faster.

An otherwise stock 3.4L DOHC 5 speed with a chip and 225/60R16 tires should hit 135-138mph (4600-4700rpm in 5th gear) topped out. The gearing is just a little too long to use ALL 210hp available.........otherwise it WOULD go a little faster.

I think it will go farther. True wind resistence gets bad, but 4700 is where the motor is really pulling strong, and it is still building power. I'd say its max speed would be around 5500-6000 in 5th.

I think it will go farther. True wind resistence gets bad, but 4700 is where the motor is really pulling strong, and it is still building power. I'd say its max speed would be around 5500-6000 in 5th.

Keep thinking that..........

Remember, you are talking about a car that only makes 170-175whp AT it's 5200-5400rpm power peak. And since you are only makinmg 155-160whp at 4700rpm, you really don't have a ton of power available for further acceleration. Remember that you are dealing with a car that has almost 24 sq/ft of frontal area and a .34 or WORSE c.d. (GFX often make things worse...even factory ones, and so do larger tires).

To put this in perspective, my old Sentra SE-R (20.4sq/ft and .34 advertised c.d.) went just over 130mph (the GPS said 131mph, the speedometer 135mph) AT it's 6350rpm/134whp power peak (actual..........the tach was at 6500-6550rpm indicated.....but I know it is ~200rpm optimistic at that engine speed) in 5th gear.

Here's a video of it at at top speed (fighting a crosswind): SE-R at top speed (with crosswind)

Now, since an LQ1 W-Body has an extra ~15% of frontal area, it's going to take that much more power to attain the same speed (so you'd need ~155whp to hit the same 130-132mph as the SE-R could with just over 130whp).

Now, since you have to square your power to double your speed (when overcoming aerdynamic drag), that means to hit 135mph (~1.03 times the 131mph speed the SE-R hit), you'll need ~1.06 (1.03 * 1.03) times the power..........and if you have to have ~155whp to hit 130-131, that means 163-164whp to hit 135 (actually a bit MORE than what is available for a 5 speed LQ1 at 4700rpm).......

Make sense?

Now I admit these numbers aren't dead on exact, but since the two cars have the SAME advertised C.D., and the W-Body APPROXIMATELY 15% more frontal area (I have seen a Cutlass listed at 23.8 sq/ft before, and I KNOW that SE-R's are 20.4 sq/ft), you can come up with some VERY close guess's here.

Either way...........the car is going to stop pulling shy of 5000rpm, and WAY less than the 6K (that's ~170mph) YOU think it'll go...........

I had heard the 1st gen grand prixs had a really good drag coefficient. Do you have a source for that .34 for the cutlass (or lumina, whatever you are talking about).

My 3.1 did 120 and the limter stopped me. I hope to god my 3.4 can go well past that (not that I feel like doing that speed).

To put this in perspective, my old Sentra SE-R (20.4sq/ft and .34 advertised c.d.) went just over 130mph (the GPS said 131mph, the speedometer 135mph) AT it's 6350rpm/134whp power peak (actual..........the tach was at 6500-6550rpm indicated.....but I know it is ~200rpm optimistic at that engine speed) in 5th gear.

Here's a video of it at at top speed (fighting a crosswind): SE-R at top speed (with crosswind)

Now, since an LQ1 W-Body has an extra ~15% of frontal area, it's going to take that much more power to attain the same speed (so you'd need ~155whp to hit the same 130-132mph as the SE-R could with just over 130whp).

Now, since you have to square your power to double your speed (when overcoming aerdynamic drag), that means to hit 135mph (~1.03 times the 131mph speed the SE-R hit), you'll need ~1.06 (1.03 * 1.03) times the power..........and if you have to have ~155whp to hit 130-131, that means 163-164whp to hit 135 (actually a bit MORE than what is available for a 5 speed LQ1 at 4700rpm).......

Make sense?

Now I admit these numbers aren't dead on exact, but since the two cars have the SAME advertised C.D., and the W-Body APPROXIMATELY 15% more frontal area (I have seen a Cutlass listed at 23.8 sq/ft before, and I KNOW that SE-R's are 20.4 sq/ft), you can come up with some VERY close guess's here.

Either way...........the car is going to stop pulling shy of 5000rpm, and WAY less than the 6K (that's ~170mph) YOU think it'll go...........

We had my friend's U13 DET equipped '91 Sentra SE-R up to 147(well, the techtom displayed 147 anyways). We thought we were gonna die!! We still had some gear left but we chickened out and he left off. :twisted:

I had heard the 1st gen grand prixs had a really good drag coefficient. Do you have a source for that .34 for the cutlass (or lumina, whatever you are talking about).

I have an old (circa 1988) Cutlass ad that says the Cutlass drag coefficient is .297.