stupid turn signals

cutty

ok well im not sure if its the turn signal switch, or the flasher..when i pull the lever down sometimes it doesnt blink, but if i pull it down real slow it will work...the hazards work fine, all my bulbs are new..any input would be great, and if you got pics even better.

Its gonna be a bit harder than mine was cause you got airbags (right?). I'm not sure what the procedure is to remove the airbag, but once you get that out and pull the wheel its not that hard.. just lots of little parts.

Its gonna be a bit harder than mine was cause you got airbags (right?). I'm not sure what the procedure is to remove the airbag, but once you get that out and pull the wheel its not that hard.. just lots of little parts.

yeah i got airbags..now i need someone to tell me how to take the airbag out and the steering wheel..and how much the switch costs

Oh, damn why didn't you say you had a newer Cutty?!?! I have had the airbags out of both my cars and it wasn't too dificult to do. As far as the switch, I haven't bought one individually, only the whole column. My Regal column was fukt and the signal switch was fukt on the Lumina at the same time. I gutted my Regal's old column and put all the parts in my new column. I then put the turn signal switch from the new column in the Lumina...

First disconnect the battery. Remove the fuse for the Airbag system. Remove the kick panel under the dash. Find the wires wrapped in a yellow harness tape and look for a yellow connector that has a green (or blue) pin holding it together. Disconnect that connector cause it's for the airbag. The airbag comes out after removing 2 Torx screws on the back of it. After you remove the wheel (use steering wheel puller) be sure you mark the position of the clockspring and don't let it move at all after you remove it. You will need a pair of snap ring pliers to remove the clip holding in the clockspring assy. After you remove the clockspring, you need a lock plate spring compressor to press down on the lock plate so you can remove the retaining clip. After that's removed, pull off the cover over the signal lever, and pull the lever straight out (disconnect the cruise switch's connector first.) Remove the screw holding the wiper switch to the turn signal switch. Unbolt the signal switch (3 bolts) and disconnect it from under the dash. Feed the harness up thru the column and you're home free. If you need some pics, drop me a PM, cause I have some from when I was gutting my Regal's column...

well, i am in the need of a new switch, too! my left side will work, but i gotta hold it down for the right side to show up, but!....BUT!! my front right will show up whether i hold it down or not :evil: . would a 92 Z have da bags? i dont think it does, but better i find out here rather than when it inflates in my face......

well, i am in the need of a new switch, too! my left side will work, but i gotta hold it down for the right side to show up, but!....BUT!! my front right will show up whether i hold it down or not :evil: . would a 92 Z have da bags? i dont think it does, but better i find out here rather than when it inflates in my face......

hmm not sure, but does it say anywhere on the stering wheel SRS?

bags didn't come out till '93 I believe (same year as ABS? :confused: ). If you got the sporty looking wheel (not big and pillow like, with SRS on it) then you don't have airbags.

GP's, Cutty's, and Regals got them in 94. Loomies didn't get them until the redesign in 95. Also when airbags were introduced, thats when they switched the steering columns.

Yea.. similar problem here. Right turns work fine. Left turns illuminate outside, but not on my cluster.. unless I pull the lever back slightly. I am not gonna spend the time/money to fix it until it completely fails.

now, in addition w/ the switch, my high/low beam is messed up, gotta hit the stick back hard to switch. same thing, or another part to replace?

now, in addition w/ the switch, my high/low beam is messed up, gotta hit the stick back hard to switch. same thing, or another part to replace?

If you have a 94+, it's a separate part, but you can get to it when you have the column apart to replace the signal switch. The dimmer switch is mounted on the left side under the wiper switch.

anyone know the price of the switch from the dealer or gmpartsdirect.com???

19005032 $46.34 from GMPartsDirect (that was for a 96 Lumina but it's the same for Cutty's) CarParts.com also has them...

The handle is attached to the switch (at least on my car) and is just bolted on with a screw. I think its quite possible that your switch could be soooo lose (worn out) that it may also effect the highbeam handle too.

Tip: the less you use your highbeams (at least the less hard you pull on the handle) the longer your switch will last. At least I really believe that was a contributing factor as to why my switch was so loose and worn out. :wink:

Tip: the less you use your highbeams (at least the less hard you pull on the handle) the longer your switch will last. At least I really believe that was a contributing factor as to why my switch was so loose and worn out. :wink:

Agreed. The lever/wiper switch is attached to the (plastic) signal switch by a metal bar. If you look at what happens when you pull on the lever (with the column apart) you'll see how weak the whole thing is...

19005032 $46.34 from GMPartsDirect (that was for a 96 Lumina but it's the same for Cutty's) CarParts.com also has them...

hey thanks for all your help!

Just to kick this up, before you go buying a new part, see if you can clean off your switch. This goes for everyone having problems. I took my wheel off (without a steering wheel puller, lol) and took some Q-tips and rubbing alcohol and wiped the entire contact area. Then I bent the contacts down a little so they made better.. contact. Then, voila! I have turn signals now.

Just to kick this up, before you go buying a new part, see if you can clean off your switch. This goes for everyone having problems. I took my wheel off (without a steering wheel puller, lol) and took some Q-tips and rubbing alcohol and wiped the entire contact area. Then I bent the contacts down a little so they made better.. contact. Then, voila! I have turn signals now.

The switches on 94-96 columns (95-01 Luminas also) are a bit different than the earlier style, plus it takes longer to disassemble the column (mainly because of all the airbag components.) I say once you're in the belly of the beast, go that extra step and replace the switch, cause cleaning it is only a temporary fix, and the part is only 47 bucks from GMPartsDirect...