goddamn sunroof won't close!

SmokesGTP

I checked the fuse it's fine, the motor makes a click sound like usual but nothing happens. This happens every once in a great while, I'll usually give the roof a tap and it works. This time however it's not going anywhere. Also GM is so fucking stupid that they have no way of closing it when it gets stuck open. My moms fucking mistersquishy has a special tool you can close it with if it gets stuck open. I'm leaving it alone for a while to see if maybe I overheated the motor by pressing it so much. There doesn't seem to be anything in the track and the motor doesn't move the roof slowly so it seems like it shouldn't be dead. Any ideas?

fuck, I've been playing with it and it clicks like the motor is engaging but thre roof is not moving. Where is the motor located? Near the switch or near the back of the roof itself? God I'm heated.

The motor is usually right near the roof assembly, in the front I believe. The likely culprit here is a broken cable. Try removing the headliner to see what you can do, it may just be a simple jam. If its not something you want to mess with it'll cost around $200-300 to fix at a shop, and make sure you have some place that works specifically on roofs do it.

Alright, the best way to remove the headliner I take it is remove those little peg things near the rear of the headliner. The front of the headliner appears like it's glued on? Maybe not but I will say I don't want to end up with one of those headliners that falls down on your head while you drive.

Thanks for the idea though.

My moms fucking mistersquishy has a special tool you can close it with if it gets stuck open.

What's a mistersquishy? Mystique? That's the closest thing I could think of. :lol:

Yeah, my 86 Mercury Sable didn't have a sunroof, but in the manual it said if it had one, it could be closed with the special tool. I remember thinking it was very odd that GM didn't have a way of manually closing it.

I could be wrong, but I think the motor is up front. If you just want to drop the front of the headliner to take a look, you'll have to remove the trim around the sunroof opening (it just pulls right out). Also the visor clips and visors. You might also have to remove the A-pillar trim. The front of the headliner is attached using really strong velcro, although it can rip off the headliner if you just pull. It works best to use something flexible and plastic to separate the velcro. You'd probably need to pull the whole headliner to swap out the motor, but just dropping the front might give you enough clearance to turn some gears to get the thing closed.

:lol: It's a mitsubishi, I just call it that cause it's a piece. Yeah I'm gonna try to pull the headliner after school, see where that gets me before I call up the dealer.

If it's clicking and the motor is still trying to engage something is most likely binding up the track assembly. I had a problem similar to this with my TGP and the aftermarket roof. If you can't get it to work I recommend J&R Upholstery in Binghamton, best in the area for sunroof repair.

Thanks for the suggestions, I've got the headliner almost off, but you can't get access to the actual track yourself without some sort of special tool it looks like. I also can't get the front of the headliner off because of the switch, I'm not sure how to get the switch off. I'll go fart around with it somemore.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the switch. I think I used an expired credit card or something like that to push on the little clips that hold the switch in.

Thats the same thing I did, except I used a school ID. Any flat object will hard object should work. Be careful with the switch plate though it cracks easy as hell, and those clippy things are even worse.

Yeah I tried for a while, I got the clips off but I can't get the wire harness that connects to the switch off as hard as I try as it appears it has to be unplugged. Anyway I found what seems to be the problem. A long black plastic cable runs along the passenger side and it appears to be severed right over where the passenger grab handle is on the roof, I assume this cable is what pulls the roof closed but I could be wrong. I'm gonna take it to the upholestery place tomorrow and have them fuck around with it. It doesn't look like something I want to tackle.

I'll tell you J&R is the best within 200 miles of here. I went to Syracuse to have a headliner made and to have my roof repaired. The dick wasted the sheet metal on my roof and tried to get away with it. The guys at J&R are the shit. Good people and they know what they are doing.

The motor is on the top in the front IIRC. If worst comes to worst, you can always just get a new sunroof unit for it. When the sunroof flew out of our TGP Coupe on the freeway we found one in a J/Y for $100 with a good motor and everything. If you find out you need a motor, I have the one off the old one too.

The headliner comes out easily, the plug for the swich probably has some sort of lock on it, and then it should come out easily. All you have to do is look closely at it and figure out how the lock works. Then the actual sunroof unit unbolts from the roof (with like 6 or 8 bolts IIRC) and you can take it out of the car and you can get to everything on the top. You will have to unplug the power going to it before it will come down though.

Shawn