Cold air intake Need help

94eurolumina2006

Hey

I am kind of new to the board. I dont know much about engines but I do some. I have 3.1 V6 in my lumina. I am wanting to put a cold air intake like you all have on your cars. Could anyone help me or tell me how to do this mod?

Your best bet is to just modify the stock airbox. This is much cheaper than purchasing a whole cone filter/cold air intake.

Take out your stock airbox, cut away all the sides facing the motor (leave enough material to be able to bolt it down).

This (with the stock paper filter) netted me over .4 sec worth of ET and over 1.5 mph trap speeds. Not bad for the cost of one dremel cutting wheel :wink:

- Justin

An actual cold air intake that draws air from the fenderwell or underneath the car is pretty rare around these parts, most of us, me included, just have a warm air intake. The problem with the CAI (cold air intake) is that the battery is in the way of any piping out of the engine compartment. If my memory serves me correctly I've seen someone that put their battery where the airbox goes and the air piping out of the engine compartment. Personally I drive too much snow and rainy roads to do this, but it seems like a good idea, and it prevents you from having to move the battery to the trunk. For a warm air intake, all you need is a pipe bent at a 45* angle, about 15-18" overall. Then you have enough piping to fine tune the fit to wherever you want it.

most of us, me included, just have a warm air intake

Hehehe - I prefer to think of my cut airbox as a "Mass Air Intake" :twisted:

- Justin

Guest Anonymous
Take out your stock airbox, cut away all the sides facing the motor

WTF would you cut on the side facing the motor? You need to cut on the battery side of the airbox to get any cooler air.

Your best bet is to just modify the stock airbox. This is much cheaper than purchasing a whole cone filter/cold air intake.

Take out your stock airbox, cut away all the sides facing the motor (leave enough material to be able to bolt it down).

This (with the stock paper filter) netted me over .4 sec worth of ET and over 1.5 mph trap speeds. Not bad for the cost of one dremel cutting wheel :wink:

- Justin

This of course is the BEST way to add an *intake*.........don't do what he just said. Its bad. Spend the money and buy yourself a proper CAI. I don't know who makes one for the W-bodies.....but I'm sure RSM Racing or Aaron Chocate from Tranzgenic can get something figured out.

He may of gotten a quicker 1/4 time.......but there is WAY to many varibles to consider ETs as a reliable way to measure performance gain....hell, the butt dyno is pry more accurate.

Read my thread on Cone filter vs Stock air box (sorta)

http://www.w-body.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14490

basically the cone filter hurt my 1/4 mile time compared to my gutted airbox, and I think if my airbox was connected to my headlight the cold air would have helped even better. If you want an INTAKE with POSSIBLE RESULTS, a true cold air intake (as in AWAY from the engine heat) is what you need.

I think the HYPE with "warm air intakes" is that they make the car look cool under the hood and they sound louder.

Actually, they DO make power.....for example.....here is my dynochart from Beretta Fest 2003.......this is a 3100 with FFP UDP and 2.25" exhaust.....Run #2 is a new Fram filter....Run #3 is a borrowed and slightly used K&N drop-in.....Run #4 is RSM Racing's WAI.....

StockvsKNvsRSM.jpg

I read that thread.........you guys are NO different than the Beretta people.....hacking an intake together is NOT the way to do things.

Take out your stock airbox, cut away all the sides facing the motor

WTF would you cut on the side facing the motor? You need to cut on the battery side of the airbox to get any cooler air.

Sorry.....I was pretty tired the other day. I meant to say that....

And for those that dont' think my airbox will make more power, stop by NJ sometime and I'll take you for a ride with the stock airbox (which I still have) and the modded factory airbox. I don't need a dyno to feel a slight seat of the pants gain. And the added .4 sec and almost 2 mph in similar weather conditions back that up.

- Justin

DO NOT hack the airbox!!!

i did and then i went to a cone filter and there is a difference between a stock airbox hacked with a K&N drop in and a cheep $25 autozone cone filter

believe it or not the $25 cheepo cone filter had better throttle response. also i have 3" pvc piping and no stock tubing

Ok, I am in no way saying that my hacked airbox will make more power than a cone filter in the same location. I wouldn't know, as I haven't tried the cone filter.

I was simply stating that hacking the stock airbox is a good, cheap way to make some extra power. The 3.1 begs for more air in the upper RPM range, and hacking the airbox gives it more air.

This is a very good alternative for someone on a budget. I know when I was in high school I couldn't even afford to buy drop in K&N's for my v6 Camaro, so I just gutted out the stock airbox, and picked up a little power. Same concept applies here.

- Justin

Are you honestly telling me the butt dyno is more accurate than a dynamometer? Granted, I don't have proof a modded airbox doesn't make power.......but you don't have proof that it does. I've ran into to many troubles comparing time slip to time slip.......there are SO many varibles that it throws the accuracey right out the window.

On my 3100 with I/E/UDP I have ran as fast as 15.980 @ 86.63 mph one day and as fast as 15.867 @ 87.56 mph another. I dropped over a tenth and picked up nearly a full mph in the traps. Whats that from who knows....and thats comparing best vs best.....worst (16.310 @ 85.64 mph) vs best and we are talking over 4 tenths.....perhaps it was because my car was hot from the trip down and I had a trunk full of tools and a 3 1/2 jack.

So until you head to the dyno.....seat of the pants or track times doesn't mean shit to me......and it should mean the same to everyone else.

Well, my car is a consistent performer at the track - under comparable weather condidtions, with comparable 60' times, my car ran 17.8's and 17.9's all night long.

After hacking the airbox, and making no other changes, and running under comparable weather conditions, my car ran 17.4's and 17.5's all night (with almost identical 60' times - which should be expected because the only mod I made doesn't make much of a difference if any in the low rpm range).

Every car is different, however between the "butt dyno" gains, quicker ET, more MPH, and the pure principle that more air = more power, I think it's safe to say that considering this modification costs nothing, it is a good improvement.

The only reason I recommended this to the topic starter was because he mentioned that he was a high school student, and I know that several high school students don't have the funds to go buy an expensive intake. That's the same reason I did it - a low buck way to go faster while I spend all my money on my Camaro.

I don't want to argue over this, you have your feelings, I have mine. Let 94euro decide what he wants to do to his own car - looks to me like he started this thread just to get ideas on what works and what doesn't.

- Justin