Climate control backlight

MotorCityMike

Well, my soldering skills should be up to par, but how hard is it actually getting the climate control out of the dash?

FWIW the one in my car is mechanical not digital if that matters.

Thanks for the reply...

Mike

It's simple to get out of the dash.. take out 4 screws, and un plug a harness, and it's in your hands.

I used to have an extra one lying around in my closet that I tore apart one night. Changing the bulbs isn't that hard if your good with a soldering iron. I changed all the burned out bulbs in my stock CD player, and I think that was more of a bitch to do than the climate controls.

• 1 year later...

If its the same as my Regal you have to solder them in you can get the bulbs at Radio Shack the number is 272-1092 there like $2 for two of them mine took 4. Otherwise, it takes the little quarter turn bulbs that pop right out with a small flat head screwdriver. You should try to do it yourself because i bought 2 differant climate controls at a junkyard and niether one of them lit up. It works fine now. Need any help im me.

i have been haveing the same problems, only half of mine worked then one day the rest quit as well. i tore it apart to find that i need some very tiny bulbs that have to be soldered in, its not a matter of being able to because i can, its a matter of finding the right size bulb. i have no clue where to go. however radio shack sounds like a good start, i'll check that part number.

my regal has the little teeny tiny bulbs where can i get those, oh by the way if any one has a climate control 88-9? that would work in a regal with the buttons not broken, let me know i need one, thanks,Regalized

hmmm

i have burnt out bulbs in my 93 GP heater controls too.

guess when i am out there later i will investigate

i can see the top half of the controls but not the bottom half at night

Monty

• 10 years later...
If its the same as my Regal you have to solder them in you can get the bulbs at Radio Shack the number is 272-1092 there like $2 for two of them mine took 4. Otherwise, it takes the little quarter turn bulbs that pop right out with a small flat head screwdriver. You should try to do it yourself because i bought 2 differant climate controls at a junkyard and niether one of them lit up. It works fine now. Need any help im me.
Thanks for this info. I know I'm replying to an old post, but this info helped me get my daughter's 99 Lumina dash lights working again this past Sunday evening! Radio Shack had the 272-1092 bulbs, and now all the A/C controls are visible. I'm grateful for the resources here.

To be clear, no soldering was required. I removed the old bulb-sockets using a small screwdriver to unscrew them, then removed the old bulbs from the sockets (ie, the little plastic doolollies). The bulbs had to be broken to get them out - they were kinda stuck tight in the sockets. By unwrapping the leads and then grabbing the remains with pliers and pulling on them, I was able to get them separated from the sockets.

I then routed the leads of the new bulb thru the holes in the socket, and wrapped the wires back in the same pattern around the flange at the bottom of the socket, then cut off the remaining wire. Next the assembled units were re-installed in the controls which use a total of 4 bulbs. (Make sure you keep at least one unit in its original form to use as a reminder of how to wrap the wires back around the plastic socket. That is, don't unwrap the last one until you have at least one new one wrapped properly to use as a model :biggrin: )

BTW, Does anyone know what bulbs go in the radio? That's next on this car.

Doug

Edited by plano-doug

• 1 month later...

Sorry to revive an old thread, but mine in my monte carlo, they just all went out at once, and it's impossible for them to all blow at once. I noticed if I slapped the climate controls a bit everything right of the passenger temp slider including it, light up. Smack it again, it all goes out and can't get the thatt side to light up anymore.

Pulled that dash panel for the 50 millionth time, and checked the tiny bulbs, and they all look good.

Any ideas? Every single interior light works, including every single bulb on my cassette deck, BESIDES this damned climate control piece of crap.

Edited by Torque_Effect