Turbo Charging a 3.4?!?!

RenegadeZ

This winter I plan on buying a new drivetrain for the Z. I'm going to basically redo the new engine to unleash more hp.Has anyone every turbo charged a 3.4? I remember seeing on here someone put a supercharger on a 3.4 but it seemed kind of.... odd. Plus I like the way turbo chargers work compared to superchargers. Can it even be done without some "Monster Garage" fab?

Good look on the info, I couldnt get to his page to see it, but at least I know who to talk to about turbo charging the 3.4.

Guest TurboSedan

i haven't seen Tim in quite awhile. the last time i saw his Turbo Monte i was delivering pizza to his parents house like last January :lol: i think he's down in Casper now. i have been wanting to race that Monte just to see how many car lengths i would fall back :D that car is hella fast!

i think he frequents the MyMonte.com forum more than this one....might check over there. also check with brian89gp or RedZMonte - i believe they have Turbo'd 3.4's also.

Turboing a 3.4? ;-D

Yeah, theres a Turbo package out there but any motor can be turbo'd just knowing the specifics is what you should know, don't just tubro an american car ... put money behind the motor to save you in the long run.

Just some ideas!

Turboing a 3.4? ;-D

........ don't just tubro an american car ... put money behind the motor to save you in the long run.

What the hell does that mean, jap crap with boost will pop FASTER under high boost then an american car because most imports use higher compression to make what little power they have. Before I make this into a flaming rant about people thinking imports are better built then american, imma shut up.

fucking imports.

-Jeff

Turbocharging a 3.4 is actually a good idea, it's a great way to unleash the horsepower hidden in there.

I'm planning on adding a turbocharger to my LQ1 here in the NEAR future, I will be using one that's quite small tho, mostly because I'm gonna be running a small ammount of boost (about 5lbs, thru a FMIC, with water/alcohol injection) I'd like to what the stock motor can handle, later I will be building up the motor, with a lower compression so I'm able to run higher boost levels, but untinll then, I think I can get away with 5lbs with little to no upgrades to the motor.

--Dave.

What the hell does that mean, jap crap with boost will pop FASTER under high boost then an american car because most imports use higher compression to make what little power they have. Before I make this into a flaming rant about people thinking imports are better built then american, imma shut up.

fucking imports.

-Jeff

It has nothing to do with American vs Import............or even any specific company............hell, my 2.0L DOHC I-4 in my NX2K will take FAR more power than any of the GM V6's (with the possible exception of the new 3.6L DOHC with it's forged internals) have ever dreamed of in stock form (these 2.0's have gone to 400whp with NO internal mods at all, and 500whp with aftermarket head gaskets). The newer 2.5L DOHC in 02+ SE-R's on the other hand can barely take bolt-ons, let alone forced induction (and will NOT rev past 6500rpm with stock valve springs).............it's rods are only good for ~200whp.

I think a lot of what you've seen is people turboing Honda D series engines, which have rods good for only 160-180whp in most cases...........people turbo them, find out they are still semi-slow, turn up the boost, and BOOM.

Either way, there are exceptional engines, and crap engines, and BOTH can come from the same manufacturer.............import OR domestic.

I'm curious as to who makes a turbo kit for a 3.4 As that would be one of the coolest mods I can think of. As ricey as it is, the sound of a turbo spooling up is a great sound.

I'm curious as to who makes a turbo kit for a 3.4 As that would be one of the coolest mods I can think of. As ricey as it is, the sound of a turbo spooling up is a great sound.

WHOOOWHAT?!?!?!? How is a turbo ricey? Maybe if you car SOUNDS like it has a turbo, but doesn't, that might be. But I don't think any of MY turbo powered cars are ricey. 8)

Who ever thinks a turbocharger is ricey is a fucking idiot...........remember.......diesel engines LOVE turbochargers......which can handle crazy things like 20 psi on 14:1 compression.

Also, whoever thinks Jap engines are crap is also a fucking idiot........Honda and Nissian engines have a lot longer lifespan than 95% of the Big Three built motors.

Ever see the bottom end of a SR20DE (Nissan inline 4 2.0L DOHC)......talk about well built.......very nice deep skirted block with nice think connecting rods.

How about the bottom end of an Isuzu 3.2L DOHC V6? That is the deepest skirted block I've EVER seen........it'd be a GREAT motor, except for the fact the EGR and PCV will plug and cause the oil to slightly overheat......which causes the #1 rod to be starved (last rod to get oil)......which then in tuirn throws the rod right out the side of the block.

How about a Duramax? Thats an Isuzu motor as well.

Perhaps the new Renesis built by Mazda? Do you even know what it is?

My point is there are some seriously fine engines that will out perform a lot of the Big Three motors......and do it under the same emission laws while having a better fuel economy. And they don't make more power under higher compression alone......things like VTEC and VRIS and do some VERY cool things.

Also, whoever thinks Jap engines are crap is also a fucking idiot........Honda and Nissian engines have a lot longer lifespan than 95% of the Big Three built motors.

That isnt what I was saying at all, im sayin jap motors dont take 2 boost as well as good ol american cars. Also, imports last longer cauz they dont make as much power (torque mostly) and arent hauling around as much weight compaired to what the big 3s. VTEC motors have this tendancy to need there valve lash readjusted quite a bit when there really driven. how many 3800 motors have you heard of going over 300k, ive personally seen 3 of em and they sounded great. imports are overrated for quality, plain and simple.

-Jeff

Back to turboing a 3.4, you really should drop the compression from 9.25 (or 9.5 if its a 5 speed) to something lower, around 8.2. the 3.4 is a great platform for a turbo because of how well it revs and the fact it has 4 valves per cylinder. Your going to need a crossover, turbo, oil/coolent lines, a chip, turbo tubing, intercooler (not needed but a damn good idea) and a lot of fab work. I know of 3 that are on the board and they all run 5 speeds because the lovely 4t60e wont hold shit without a performance rebuild.

-Jeff